Andrew York

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Contreras

Re: Andrew York

Post by Contreras » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:22 am

Also enjoy playing his music - Woven World is a favorite, and Yamour. Of the Equations of Beauty I like Pi. And Ride.
Very approachable guy.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:15 pm

He seems to be polarizing for some reason. I could make some guesses as to why. But I really enjoy his music. Glad to see others do as well. And I'm always in support of nice people!

Urbanarcher11

Post by Urbanarcher11 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 pm

'Home' is the piece that has made me drop the acoustic and electric and get into classical guitar. So much soul in the way he played it. It reached out and stirred something inside (might also be the guitar makers soul). Would love to listen to him live.

James

Post by James » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:05 am

I have recently acquired two of his collections, '8 Discernment's' and '8 Dreamscapes'. I can't wait to dig deep into these works. I seen a few on YouTube. Beautiful....and so accessible.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 pm

image1-1.jpg
Playing Yamour on a delightfully relaxed late Friday afternoon after a really long week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
物の哀れ

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 pm

Andrew York played at Schroeder Hall on the Sonoma State University campus a couple of weeks ago. He played many of the pieces mentioned in this thread, and two Bach cello suite preludes he had transcribed. "Equations of Beauty" was magnificent. It's generally not in my DNA to enjoy a 26 minute guitar piece, but this is an incredible work. "Home" was his encore. I'm sure I'm not the only one who downloaded it the next day!

I found him to be an incredibly engaging performer. I found his compositions fascinating, transfixing, hypnotic, I could go on and on. I also really enjoyed his stories about the pieces, and the self-effacing manner in which he told them. He had the audience in the palm of his hand. He could have played "Spanish Romance" and we would have gone nuts!
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Public Space”