New gut strings for 440 pitch

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

New gut strings for 440 pitch

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Damian Dlugolecki has created beautiful gut trebles for tuning to 440 pitch. He sent me a trial sample, and I made a video of Ponce's Tropico to test them out. At time of recording, the strings had been on for exactly 24 hours. https://youtu.be/ojSbWOOZtzo

tateharmann

Re: New gut strings for 440 pitch

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Excellent! My all time favorite Ponce work :)

What did he do differently to make the strings? Did they feel very stiff under your fingers?
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:45 pm

No, they feel no different in tension, slightly polished maybe. Quite rightly he is keeping the process to himself. I'm delighted with them.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:55 pm

That is awesome - perhaps this is a crucial step towards many using gut on their instruments? I know the whole tuning issue turns folks off :/

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56 pm

That's what he's thinking...I think. Good idea. Tárrega wasn't so far off, 435, I believe, but who can verify that? He probably tuned it to his out of tune piano :-)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Yea, true...after all 440 is just some random human number...so is the period of a second lol. All randomness :p

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:35 pm

After all the complaints I've had about gut strings not being tuned to modern pitch, I thought there might have been more interest in this thread than just Tate. Oh well.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:22 pm

I seem to think that posts in the 'New Posts' section get moved out of there faster than before...maybe that's why there are less replies here? Could all be in my head though haha.

I thought my post here would be more interesting too: http://classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewt ... e#p1209887

I guess it wasn't! Ha

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:07 pm

It is a good subject, but I know almost nothing about the history of nylon strings, sadly.

edwardsguitar

Post by edwardsguitar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:19 pm

I've tried the Bow Brand gut on my early guitars; how do these compare?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Both are good. I generally use Bow Brand because they are cheap, but I do prefer Damian's strings. He sent me these as freebies to try out. I hope they last! If so, they will be worth the expense. My Ambridge has never sounded better.

edwardsguitar

Post by edwardsguitar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks Rob, keep us posted. Are they currently available to order?

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:48 pm

I am curious about gut strings. How long do they last? How is the sound different from nylon? How is the sustain? Do they feel different from nylon (less resistance)?
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Yes, they are available to order from the website mentioned on the video.

The g could last a year or more, the b six months or so, the e anything from five minutes to five months. A common cause of broken first strings is people tuning them to 440 when they were not designed to do so (thankfully these strings are), or having rough spots on the contact points with the guitar: nut, bridge, bridge holes, and frets. Also, fingernails can shorten the life of the string IF they are not well polished before each session. You can hear the sound difference quite clearly. If you can't, then don't waste your money. They do sustain. I haven't noticed a problem in that regard. Yes, they feel different, a little rougher, which is a good thing if you play with more flesh than nail.

People played with gut for millennia. During that time, quality varied. There were international centres of string making, and good-quality strings were much in demand by those who could afford them.

I ignore qualitative arguments about which is best, gut or nylon. The fact is that gut strings have played a HUGE part in the history of the guitar, all of the centuries up until mid way through the 20th. Gut and nylon are both good, but sound different, and neither type will suit everyone. But to me, playing good-quality gut strings on a guitar copied from Torres, Manuel Ramirez, and Santos, with the flesh of the fingertips, is as near to nirvana as I'm every likely to get. Your mileage may vary, as people on Internet fora are wont to say.

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Thank-you for posting Rob, I would like to try gut strings. It is lovely sound in your videos, playing and the emotive Ambridge. I have never used gut strings and I do prefer my nails on the short side. If I may be so obvious, could you please tell me what to order (favourite trebles are Augustine Classic), and do I order bass strings as well? Cheers Aaron

Return to “Public Space”