New gut strings for 440 pitch

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Michael.N.

Re: New gut strings for 440 pitch

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Exactly. If you look at stone steps that have seen a lot of shoe leather you may notice how worn those steps have become, yet it's just leather on stone.
Historicalguitars.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I just put these DD strings on a Torres replica made by Lars Jönsson and they sound marvelous - though I have to get accustomed to the increased level of nail noise (I'm playing with nails). I polished them as good as I can but they still sound kind of rough on the trebles, especially e1.

The only thing i'm suspecting is that (at least e1) is not going to survive very long... it already shows little strands coming off. It's probably really more for no-nails players, though I love the sound.
What really surprized me are the basses: they have great sustain, a lot of colours and this kind of lushness I'd never expect from gut strings (or are these silk strings?)
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 pm

The basses are silk. You should maybe have tried the varnished gut version he also sells. I think they are more suited to nail players.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 am

Hi Rob

I did try them once before, but might try the new ones now that the Simplicio has come home to roost. Are you still matching them with Aquila silk basses?
Best,
Simon
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 am

Yes, I am. They balance each other well, I think.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 am

Oops, scratch that. I was not really concentrating. At 440, the Aquila silk will break, so I have to use regular guitar strings. I use D'Addario EH45's, mainly because I can easily get them locally. They're okay.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm
I just put these DD strings on a Torres replica made by Lars Jönsson and they sound marvelous - though I have to get accustomed to the increased level of nail noise (I'm playing with nails). I polished them as good as I can but they still sound kind of rough on the trebles, especially e1.

The only thing i'm suspecting is that (at least e1) is not going to survive very long... it already shows little strands coming off. It's probably really more for no-nails players, though I love the sound.
What really surprized me are the basses: they have great sustain, a lot of colours and this kind of lushness I'd never expect from gut strings (or are these silk strings?)
The core on the wound guitar strings is silk and was up until nylon strings started to be used. I don't quite know why they weren't using a gut core, wound with metal. Presumably they don't work so well with the higher tensions of a plucked guitar string or they just preferred the sound of the string with a silk core. Wound on gut certainly exist, just don't tend to be used as guitar strings.
Historicalguitars.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm

In any case the silk basses are great! I didn't know they have the varished version. I might try it some time. Thanks.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 am

I decided to take the gut and silk strings down again, they wouldn't survive for too long with my nails, and the sound, as sweet as it is, is being impeded by too much nail noise. So I#ll keep them for the day that I might need to play without nails because of some problem.

I put Aquila Alabastro light tension and they come surprisingly close to the gut and silk strings... Good enough for my taste and certainly not as fragile.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Michael N and Larry guitar - you guys made me laugh out loud!

I do actually sometimes sand my fingertips LH if I get callouses. Since it does make a difference to me in the tone.

I was just about to report on these Damian strings I got... received in the post on 27 September.
Beautiful beautiful tone - really I have not heard anything like it before and I was overjoyed...
for a week, but the e' string showed early signs of fray, and by now it's lost its tone and warmth and some what gone. I mean I'm still playing it but somewhat lack lustre.
The remainder of the strings are fine.
I tune to 329/Concert D, flesh playing.
The e' string is mainly fraying on the fingerboard end. Not the plucking end. Starting from a week and a half after I put new ones on I am a little disappointed.
I asked Damian, as I thought maybe there's such a thing as an iffy batch or what not - he says it's probably sweat or otherwise just due to tension and use of chanterelle string...
The other gut e' strings I used before seem to have lasted longer... though the initial tone is not as good.
The other 5 strings are still good, they keep tune well, even from the start, good rounded tone, still love them but might have to change the e' string very soon again, sooner than I expected for an amateur who doesn't play all day, and not tuned up to 440 even. Not yet anyway. And given what is happening am not wanting to...

Anyone any advice for prolonging the string life?

Elated yet disappointed pesky...
Last edited by Peskyendeavour on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm

I actually asked Damian about the bases and he says it's nylon core not silk or gut. When I asked him why, he simply says it sounds best.

I have a lot of respect for this guy and in fact the simplicity of his response - he uses his ears to determine what to make.

That was what finally moved me to try a set of his strings - and they do sound gorgeous.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:19 am

Don't go blaming Damian Dlugolecki strings. That's not a bad lifespan for the highest string. Believe me I've had pretty much every gut string brand available and not one has lasted more than a week, often it's more like 4 or 5 days, which is why I had a good look around for a cheaper alternative. I came across the harp strings of Bow brand and came to the conclusion that a gut string is a gut string, if they work for harp they'll work for guitar. I wasn't wrong. In fact I think I first tried them on a violin and they worked for that too - tested against very expensive strings such as Pirastro gut.
The B lasts me many months, G easily a year. All the money is put into that high E, although it's hardly what most people would call an expensive hobby even if you are changing it every 4 days. Rob seems to get much longer life out of his gut strings but we all have slightly different body chemistry and playing style/technique.
It's the Aquila wound that are silk strings. They are very warm sounding without the more typical brash ring of nylon core. Aquila do some copper wound nylgut (?) that are similar to silk, intended for lutes but no reason why they can't be used on guitars.
Historicalguitars.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not blaming Damian and I'm really loving the sound of the other 5 strings!
As you say must be just my chemistry and the high e of Damian's didn't work out... other gut string high e' lasts me months...
And I appreciate the quality of sound when they (DD strings) were new- was indeed far superior than any others I've had. Hence elated but disappointed at the same time...
Carles Trepart plays with short nails on gut strings - I wonder how long his gut strings lasts!!!!???????

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 am

Peskyendeavour wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 pm

I actually asked Damian about the bases and he says it's nylon core not silk or gut. When I asked him why, he simply says it sounds best.

I have a lot of respect for this guy and in fact the simplicity of his response - he uses his ears to determine what to make.

That was what finally moved me to try a set of his strings - and they do sound gorgeous.
Yes, it actually says on his web page the basses are nylon. Just didn't read properly. The basses are very good, very expensive though. I certainly should have bought varnished gut strings ... didn't consider it properly...

A.Arcese

Post by A.Arcese » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

I put some trebles from Damian on an early 1920s guitar. Here is the email I sent him:

Damian, I finally just strung one of the guitars with these. And ... they are incredible. I expected them to be good, but I'm actually surprised at how good. I had just had nylgut on the instrument, and it was a newish set. These trebles you made are clear, brilliant, singing, with much longer sustain and full of amazing overtones. It's like I'm playing a different instrument altogether.

Wow.

Thanks so much,
[Name]

Return to “Public Space”