Working on a new piece - what do you do?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Gwynedd

Re: Working on a new piece - what do you do?

Post by Gwynedd » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Yes, you really have to refurbish the repertoire. I make sure I play the whole shootin' match at least once a week, starting with the Christopher Parkening Book1, and then the RCM I'm doing. I wasn't so excited by the works in Book 0 from RCM but I love Book 1. And I have a few things hanging around played out of sheets here and there. Have to go through the lot.

I can't do too much in any one practice session, so I focus on the new piece and play a recent "finished" or almost-finished work. Another practice session is just the scales because they need complete concentration for fingering and I can't be thinking about other music.

Adam Puryear

Post by Adam Puryear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:55 pm

I always try to read my way through a work taking note of what I recognize will give me problems. Read through it slowly and methodically try to analyze patterns and especially the form. Then slow practice until it is well into my hands. I usually save phrasing and dynamics for after I have mastered the notes. Some may argue that one should incorporate all aspects of musicality and technique from the beginning, but I have found this approach holds me back.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:56 pm

When I am learning a new piece, I only work on that piece until it's completely and that I can play it perfectly all the way through. I don't even try to learn any other new pieces. I will still try to keep up with pieces I already know how to play though. Like I will play some pieces that I already can play from memory before I begin learning the new piece for the day or at the end. Anyway, for me learning a new piece all the way through correctly is a pretty long process. Possibly months and months, depending on the difficulty level of the piece I am trying to learn. Hope this helps some! :bye:

Return to “Public Space”