Funding a film about Antonio Torres

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Finn Wandahl

Funding a film about Antonio Torres

Post by Finn Wandahl » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Antonio_de_torres_jurado_001.jpg
Some relatives of Antonio Torres are trying to make a film about him. It looks like a very nice project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVedi8Aina8
They are funding it through Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/do ... her-of-the
So far they have collected €3,267 of the €5000 that they need. They were doing well, but donations have now slowed down. If they don't have the money by July 14, it won't happen. I pledged €15 and for that you get a free copy of the video - if it gets made.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Finn Wandahl - Copenhagen

larryguitar

Re: Funding a film about Antonio Torres

Post by larryguitar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:51 am

I've backed. This is a worthwhile project and I see my friend, Dr James Westbrook, is involved in the making of the movie. James is an expert on guitar construction, without a doubt, and an expert on Torres, as he once owned four guitars by Torres. Plus, the movie will have an interview with Jose Romanillos, another expert on Torres. Besides that, you'll get a recording of a concert played on a real Torres.

Let's help get them over the top. They're asking for a modest amount of money. I hope they can complete the project with that.
Last edited by larryguitar on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:56 pm

I don't know anyone involved in the film's production, but like larryguitar I've backed it too. This is a project I'd really like to see go ahead and the first thing I've ever backed on Kickstarter. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me if (and how) I can go in and up my contribution?
Chris

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:09 pm

cgratham wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:56 pm
I don't know anyone involved in the film's production, but like larryguitar I've backed it too. This is a project I'd really like to see go ahead and the first thing I've ever backed on Kickstarter. Speaking of which, can anyone tell me if (and how) I can go in and up my contribution?
Chris
I believe you can choose the option to Manage Your Pledge up until the day the project reaches or does not reach its goal. So, you can up your contribution, reduce your contribution, or remove your contribution. Your payment method only gets charged if the project meets its goal. It's looking pretty tough at this point, to be honest.

As an aside, I had to pay quite a bit to secure an English version of the Romanillos book on Torres. There appears to be no more existing stock of this book in English.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 pm

larryguitar wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I believe you can choose the option to Manage Your Pledge up until the day the project reaches or does not reach its goal ...

Thanks larryguitar. Yes it was easy to up my contribution by clicking on the link to "Manage Your Pledge". Fingers crossed that it will get made, and I will now get my physical copy of the DVD!

Chris

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:01 pm

cgratham wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:31 pm
larryguitar wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I believe you can choose the option to Manage Your Pledge up until the day the project reaches or does not reach its goal ...

Thanks larryguitar. Yes it was easy to up my contribution by clicking on the link to "Manage Your Pledge". Fingers crossed that it will get made, and I will now get my physical copy of the DVD!

Chris
So, if you look at KickTraq,

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/doslum ... er-of-the/

the project is projected to not reach its goal. ;-(

What else can we do to try to spread the word?

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Only 46 backers. The classical guitar world is small but I must say that 46 is a pretty shameful return, IMO.
Historicalguitars.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 pm

I agree with Michael. I've gone in and upped my contribution. Let's hope they get a rush of supporters this week.

Chris

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:37 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:19 pm
Only 46 backers. The classical guitar world is small but I must say that 46 is a pretty shameful return, IMO.
It's pretty sad. I posted a comment on the KickStarter page asking if they could create some more pledge levels. There is quite a gap between the highest level and one level down.

There has to be more than 46 people who want to see this film. How do we reach them? Does anybody know somebody with thousands of "friends" on Facebook? Would GSI help spread the word on their blog?

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:23 am

Seems it's stalled, barely moved. I could donate and try to sell one of my experimental guitars but I can't get it ready in time, certainly not in 5 days. 5,000 Eur is not a lot of money considering how much work and effort goes into a project such as this.
Historicalguitars.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:23 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:23 am
Seems it's stalled, barely moved. I could donate and try to sell one of my experimental guitars but I can't get it ready in time, certainly not in 5 days. 5,000 Eur is not a lot of money considering how much work and effort goes into a project such as this.
Michael,

I don't think you'll have to sell a guitar. We just need to contact all the people we know in the classical guitar world and try to generate some more interest in getting the film made.

Most things related to the classical guitar are a labor of love. Who isn't touched by that?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am

Well I've just subscribed to the tune of 30 Euros and then annoyed a lot of old contacts by emailing out an appeal for them to do likewise.

I didn't feel the video helped itself by not really selling the concept of the film, in the way the text below did ... and we know how easy it is to not bother with text when there are pretty pictures to look at.

I was going to go for the physical copy at 50 Euros but then it added another 20 for post and I must admit I baulked at that.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

kertsopoulos

Post by kertsopoulos » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:40 am

The best must be done by us to spread the word of funding successfully the campaign. I have started a post since 18 June 2017, concerning the support of the campaign at members announcements of our forum and have included a lot of my published work on the "Mathematical Model of the Guitar", which since 1982 I have declared that it was first used by Antonio de Torres. Maestro Jose Ramirez III confirmed this in many declarations published internationally and can be found at the specific post. The link is: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=113404

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:53 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:22 am
Well I've just subscribed to the tune of 30 Euros and then annoyed a lot of old contacts by emailing out an appeal for them to do likewise.

I didn't feel the video helped itself by not really selling the concept of the film, in the way the text below did ... and we know how easy it is to not bother with text when there are pretty pictures to look at.

I was going to go for the physical copy at 50 Euros but then it added another 20 for post and I must admit I baulked at that.
Thanks Stephen! I also balked at the postal charge but sent ahead with the physical copy because I can create a digital copy from that. Although, I suppose the digital copy might be of better quality. So, I'm pretty confused about the whole thing and wish there was a level where I could get both the physical copy and the digital copy.

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:58 am

Just made a pledge. I agree that the postage charge seems excessive.

I'll pass the word along. Thank you to the OP for bringing this to our attention.

Return to “Public Space”