GuitarCoop New Music for Guitar with Julian Bream Trust

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Rasqeo

Re: GuitarCoop New Music for Guitar with Julian Bream Trust

Post by Rasqeo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Perhaps some of my comments were a bit harsh. I admire what Guitarcoop are doing and they should be saluted for promoting new music. Too much guitar repertoire relies on the tired, overplayed classics. I really wanted to like this piece but it just left me cold. But I guess some reaction is better than no reaction right?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm

I listened to it before watching Fabio's discussion of it (first time I've heard him speak his native tongue!). I found it rich, sensuous, individual, colourful. Usually pieces with microtones and/or effects put me off in a big way, but here the resources were used effectively - just enough.
It certainly goes somewhere - I can't understand how the three part structure could be missed.
The recorded sound, the visuals and the performance I thought were super. I didn't see a single gesture of the player's that seemed out of place.
Even thinking about predicting whether or not the piece will become and remain part of the repertoire, is surely wholly misplaced. More listenings and indeed, other interpretations, would be needed before that would be a meaningful exercise. One might assume, on the record of other, somewhat similar, compositions that it will fail to do so; but the process whereby a strange piece can become comprehensible, come into mental focus, through familiarity should teach us not to be too sure without awaiting the test of time.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:31 am

This Julian Anderson piece is very similar in texture and harmony to John Williams' (Star Wars film composer) lone solo guitar piece "Rounds" from 2012 that was composed for Pablo Sainz Villegas. There's a couple of videos on YouTube to listen to if you want to make a comparison. The Williams piece is about half as long and thematically more concentrated. This Anderson piece has some good ideas but doesn't develop anything for the listener to hang on to IMO. Laura Snowden's performance is absolutely amazing though, if I were the composer I'd be extremely fortunate to have such an outstanding performer premiere my work. The videographer was much too busy with the different angles though IMO.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 am

Fantastic! Thanks, Luis, for bringing this to our attention! It looks like we'll finally get to hear these new pieces commissioned by the Julian Bream trust! I love this Anderson piece, and shall eagerly await the Birtwistle piece (which, according to Zanon, will be forthcoming). Bravo, to Mr. Bream, Mr. Zanon, Ms. Snowden, the composers, and everyone else who is and will be involved in what I think is one of the most exciting things in CG in ages! Cheers!

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:03 am

This video gives me hope that they will make a video of the Julian Bream Trust piece that Harrison Birtwistle wrote. I'm sure it will be summarily dismissed, too. :roll:
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Wonderful music and great playing! This is truly an important contribution to our repertoire.

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:27 pm

This was just added-- an interesting interview with Julian Anderson in which he discusses his composition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4uyYNrbcY

I haven't heard of a composer requiring a string to be tuned a quarter of a tone below its normal pitch in a guitar composition.

It's also worthwhile to hear the reasons for his creative decisions and to listen again to the piece and judge whether or not he succeeds in achieving what he intended.

Best regards,

Mark

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:42 pm

I really hope that next time, Julian Bream chooses a composer a little less divisive.

Maybe somebody who is a skilled guitar composer, who uses modern techniques and harmony interspersed with music that most intelligent listeners can make some sense of - eg. Nikita Koshkin would be my choice.

Or if the aim is to resolutely use composers who have not written for guitar before, there are lots around who still write in a tonal language.

However, they tend not to be a part of academic music colleges.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:42 pm
I really hope that next time, Julian Bream chooses a composer a little less divisive
You mean like the late Benjamin Britten whose masterpiece Nocturnal still divides guitar audiences till this day? Or Hans Werner Henze and his two very complicated Royal Winter Music sonatas? How about the dark and knotty pieces by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies Hill Runes and the Sonata for Guitar? Humphrey Searle's dense Five or Richard Rodney Bennett's cryptic Sonata? This piece by Anderson fits in nicely with much of the works by non-guitarist composers that Bream has commissioned in the past - it's not easy listening by a long shot - it's thought provoking and it requires intensive and repeated listenings to fully understand and reveal its musical message.
It's true that Bream commissioned modern yet lyrical pieces like Walton's Bagatelles and Berkeley's Sonatina but a large number of the pieces he commissioned fit into the category of this new Anderson work.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:00 am

Cipher wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 am
Adrian Allan wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:42 pm
I really hope that next time, Julian Bream chooses a composer a little less divisive
You mean like the late Benjamin Britten whose masterpiece Nocturnal still divides guitar audiences till this day? Or Hans Werner Henze and his two very complicated Royal Winter Music sonatas? How about the dark and knotty pieces by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies Hill Runes and the Sonata for Guitar? Humphrey Searle's dense Five or Richard Rodney Bennett's cryptic Sonata? This piece by Anderson fits in nicely with much of the works by non-guitarist composers that Bream has commissioned in the past - it's not easy listening by a long shot - it's thought provoking and it requires intensive and repeated listenings to fully understand and reveal its musical message.
It's true that Bream commissioned modern yet lyrical pieces like Walton's Bagatelles and Berkeley's Sonatina but a large number of the pieces he commissioned fit into the category of this new Anderson work.
I think this new work is more divisive than those mentioned above. Plus, there are many composers now turning their backs on that style, so there are more opportunities to commission something a little more easy on the ears.

And by that I do not necessarily mean Classic FM music or something similarly light. I mean something that the average intelligent listener can make some sense of. I have been listening to guitar music for 35 years and I cannot hear a "musical message" in this at all.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Return to “Public Space”