Do you ever get frustrated?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
LBrandt

Do you ever get frustrated?

Post by LBrandt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 am

Do you ever get frustrated to the point that you believe that no matter how much you practice and how hard you work, that you won't get any better than you are now?

spanishguitarmusic

Re: Do you ever get frustrated?

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:43 am

Yes, sometimes I do, especially when I've been trying to learn a piece that is either a bit too hard for me or one that I know shouldn't be too difficult, but as I work my way through it, it's actually harder than it seems. I just try to stick with it and keep learning it note by note and bar by bar. Playing as slow as possible is key for me.

montana

Post by montana » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:35 am

Your at a plateau. Happens from time to time. Soon you will start to feel progress.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 am

At this stage, I might suggest stripping your technique down to the smallest possible unit.

If you cannot play a passage, practise it with right hand only on open strings.

If doesn't work, take the first three notes on open strings and practise those until you can play them in close succession without a mistake. Only then add the left hand.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Do you study with a teacher? Weekly lessons are what keep me moving forward. The thing about having weekly lessons is that it's clear, to both teacher and student, whether you're making any progress on the pieces you've been assigned. With practice, there is always some progress, even if it is just a little bit of progress.

Without a teacher, I think I would fall into the trap of thinking that I was stuck and not improving.

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:34 pm

larryguitar wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:14 pm
Do you study with a teacher? Weekly lessons are what keep me moving forward. The thing about having weekly lessons is that it's clear, to both teacher and student, whether you're making any progress on the pieces you've been assigned. With practice, there is always some progress, even if it is just a little bit of progress.

Without a teacher, I think I would fall into the trap of thinking that I was stuck and not improving.
Yes, I definitely have a teacher and have had for years. He's the best, but I still get frustrated.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm

LBrandt wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:34 pm
larryguitar wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Yes, I definitely have a teacher and have had for years. He's the best, but I still get frustrated.
It's good that you have a teacher. I think you're completely normal. Everybody gets frustrated, myself included. I won't see my teacher until September and so I have to push myself extra hard now to put in the practice hours.

All I know is that if I stop, I will slip backwards. Slipping backwards is far worse than being frustrated at slow progress. Progression, no matter how small, is better than regression.

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

God yes, all the time. It's part of learning isn't it? Of course there's pleasure as well but I think frustration is part and parcel of trying to get better at something.

To a degree I think you can learn to live with it. Don't beat yourself up about it. Recognise it for what it is, trust in the learning process, and keep moving on.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:55 pm

I just get frustrated that I never practise automatically, I have to force myself to do it.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

khayes

Post by khayes » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm always frustrated...and perplexed :)
Ken

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:55 pm
I just get frustrated that I never practise automatically, I have to force myself to do it.
You know, aside from bodily functions, like breathing, nothing happens automatically. We all have to force ourselves to practice. It is easy to stop.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:59 pm

There are frequent plateaus where progress seems elusive. This is where having a long term goal comes in for me. The 10000 hour goal helps me see the big picture and push through those difficult hours of practice until I pass the tough spot. Then progress often accelerates a bit rewarding your effort. Other suggestions above are also good. Maybe set aside what you're learning and go back to relearn pieces you've worked on before. You'll find new gems of insight in old works. Or as mentioned above, get real systematic about your practice. Break down pieces into sections, practice slower with a metronome, or start on the last measures and work backwards through the piece. Concentrate on your fingering choices and experiment. Press on and have fun.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 pm

I hate to ask but have you considered discussing your frustration with your teacher who's been taking your money all these years.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Moved to a different thread.
Last edited by larryguitar on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Yes, I get frustrated, but not to the "I'll never get any better" level.

Return to “Public Space”