Do you ever get frustrated?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Adam Puryear

Re: Do you ever get frustrated?

Post by Adam Puryear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:37 pm

I believe that when we reach plateaus in our playing that one needs to change the way he/she is doing things... we basically build habits into our thinking and practice. As this occurs, we are constantly reinforcing things we actually desire to change. I have found that changing the ways my mind processes the music gives me more progress over time rather than constantly trying to repeat a piece, or even just a phrase over and over again. We can't only rely on muscle memory, we must rely on our understanding of the music as a whole to become better musicians, and our understanding needs to come from many angles. Hope this makes sense the way I am trying to get it across.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:45 pm

LBrandt wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 am
Do you ever get frustrated to the point that you believe that no matter how much you practice and how hard you work, that you won't get any better than you are now?
No. I've said quite often that the "expectations" will get you. I don't expect to be better than I am. I will try to do a little better but I'm a whole lot better than I used to be, to expect any more seems greedy.
I will either get better or I won't, it doesn't matter. As I age, I expect the maladies to pile up and worsen. I suppose I should expect my ability to play will suffer.
Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow.
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death
Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of ****
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the right side of life...
(Come on guys, cheer up!)
Always look on the bright side of life...
(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)
(I mean - what have you got to lose?)
(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.
What have you lost? Nothing!)
Always look on the right side of life...-Eric Idle
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 am

Ah, lordy, lordy. Monty Python, "Life Of Brian" being quoted on Delcamp. Whatever next? Absolutely love it!
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Simple answer: yes, very often. But with patience and correct practice, it is mostly possible to overcome it. My weakest property is impatience. :(
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

ajp1492

Post by ajp1492 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:04 pm

I stopped playing for a few years after feeling stuck and not being able to progress past a certain point. I experienced what's called terminal frustration - meaning frustration that led to quitting. Now I'm coming back but I have no goals other than to pick up the guitar every day. I'm not sure it will last, but we'll give it a try.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Of course not! Whatever gave you such a ridiculous idea? If you can't see how laid back and chilled I am then clearly you have not been paying proper attention. For goodness sake!

razz

Post by razz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 am

Yes, but I keep practicing anyway. Besides, if I were to quit practicing, my wife's honey do list would immediately lengthen.

Peskyendeavour

Post by Peskyendeavour » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes.
One of my previous teachers said to me that we all get frustrated, even as professionals himself (was my piano teacher) it's ok to be frustrated it's because you want to do better - which is a good thing. As long as the frustration doesn't make you give up or want to stop, there is nothing wrong with it.
He's a brilliant player and everything he does seems to come so easily in my eyes, everything is perfection - just as all my guitar heroes now.
It seems all so relaxed and simple but I'm sure behind the scenes they have their own frustrated moments.
As I child I used to get so frustrated that I hit the piano but just ended up with painful hands and a lot of noise.
I get cross with myself still now with the guitar, I love my guitar too much to hit it! :-) plus much older now so I guess age has added a calmer response to the frustration and just keep going !

I sound so OLD...

80guitarguy

Post by 80guitarguy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:58 pm

My frustration came through trying to learn pieces while recovering from an injury....when the hands won't do what the mind is telling them. My coping strategies include mixing very easy pieces with more challenging ones...playing for shorter amounts of time...and occupying myself with other activities (e.g. sports) that really boost my confidence.
80guitarguy
Ramirez 130 Años Cedar
Savarez 500CR NT
============================================================

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:00 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:59 pm
Maybe set aside what you're learning and go back to relearn pieces you've worked on before. You'll find new gems of insight in old works.
This is working for me right now, dusting off pieces that I forgot about for months. Keeps them in your memory.

dory

Post by dory » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43 am

I get frustrated and often think I will never get better and I might as well quit-- which I already did once, 30 years ago. Then I remind myself that I was sad about having quit and go on. I am trying to pay attention to some things I am doing better than a couple of years ago. There are some things. I am a slow learner, sure, but even slow learners orogress with time.
Dory

Doug Crosswell

Post by Doug Crosswell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:33 pm

😕 I been playing guitar for 7 years . 3 years on acoustic , and 4 years on classical , and like everyone else , I do get frustrated .

Still frustration can be a sign of many things .
Perhaps unreasonable expectations . Not being gracious and patient with oneself .

I also personally discovered that frustration can reveals just how passionate I am about making progress and that passion can be a motivator if you allow it .

To quote a guy from a book " it doesn't matter how well the pig sings , what matters is if it sings at all "

Granted I think that playing well is a lot like cultivating a field ; it takes sensitivity , a very slow pace , and lots of attention to detail .

At end of the day , making mini goals for a week or two weeks etc etc , can help hurdle the plateaus . I am even convinced that playing classical guitar is a lifelong learning inner joy .

Return to “Public Space”