Estas Tonne: Thoughts?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Estas Tonne: Thoughts?

Post by Altophile » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 pm

I saw this guy on Youtube and, while I wouldn't want to listen to his style of music regularly (a sort of New Age Flemenco hybrid), I find it a bit mesmerizing, and I can't help but wonder what the professional guitarists here think of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gphiFVVtUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3u-7AG6gaU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5woVpVF0Bzs

In the perfromance on the 10 string he seems to be borrowing from Domeniconi (Koyunbaba, one of my favorite suites for guitar).

Thoughts?

~Sean

Jim Davidson

Re: Estas Tonne: Thoughts?

Post by Jim Davidson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 am

"Flamingo" music. Sort of a poppy version of flamenco that's tailored to the general public. Not really my cup of tea, but we need players like him to draw new people in.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

bear

Post by bear » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 am

I've watched several of his videos over the past couple of years. My first impression was, "I can't do that." I think he's good at what he does. He may not be what some would call a Classical or Flamenco Guitarist, but I'd rather listen to him than some others.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 am

I tried to watch the performance on the 10 string, but after 7 minutes I had to shut it off. I liked some of his shorter videos, but I found this one to be tiring. It is new age toke music, and I would have needed a toke to watch 20 minutes of that.

montana

Post by montana » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:31 am

Don't think he should use Domeniconi in public display .unless given permission.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 am

This guy was also discussed in the cafe section of this forum.

It is a real pity that for the general public this is viewed as good, or even great playing. It is very simple stuff both musically and technically. He doesn't even have a rasgueado technique. Plus, anything fed through an amplifier sounds a lot more flash than it really is.

In fact, when I look at all the hundreds of thousands of likes and views this guy gets, it just serves to reinforce the fact that as classical guitarists, we are doomed - the values we aspire to are neither understood or appreciated by the general public.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:47 am

32.5 million views on that Utube video. That's something you would expect the Rolling Stones to receive.
Historicalguitars.

Hill

Post by Hill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I like how he brings a certain level of energy.. but somehow all the different pieces he plays sounds so similar.. similar style with little variations..
There was no one in Molching who could play exactly like him. It was a style not of perfection, but warmth. Even mistakes had a good feeling about them. - The Book Thief

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Altophile wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 pm
I saw this guy on Youtube and, while I wouldn't want to listen to his style of music regularly (a sort of New Age Flemenco hybrid),
I am sorry, but there is nothing flamenco about it - his playing does not have any flamenco elements in it.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 am

guitarrista wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 pm
Altophile wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 pm
I saw this guy on Youtube and, while I wouldn't want to listen to his style of music regularly (a sort of New Age Flemenco hybrid),
I am sorry, but there is nothing flamenco about it - his playing does not have any flamenco elements in it.
From Wiki:

"Estas Tonne (Ukrainian: Естас Тонне), (born April 24, 1975 in Ukraine), is a self-styled "modern day troubadour"[1] who primarily plays the classical guitar in a style derived from Flamenco and Gypsy music.[2]"

From the artists own site:

"A fusion of classical structure, technique of Flamenco, roots of Gypsy, characteristics of Latin and Electronic Soundscape..."

Whether or not you find that to be a technically precise description is another story. To me, his music savors of a hybrid Flamenco-like hodgepodge.

~Sean

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 am

I have to say that I find it quite astounding that this topic has generated so much discussion and debate. It's as if you were disecting a small animal in a science class and arguing over which organs were which...blah blah blah. In the end, I say who cares? Regardless of what you think of his playing or technique, the fact remains that he has reasonable skill, and he makes his audience happy. One of the central objectives of any musician is to be able to capture an audience with the composition and execution of his music. You can sit around and quibble over technique and style all day, but if no one is listening it doesn't really matter. Enough said. 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 am

Yep. This is entertainment, and he's got the hang of it. Street-playing is its own art.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am

StGeorge wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 am
I have to say that I find it quite astounding that this topic has generated so much discussion and debate. It's as if you were disecting a small animal in a science class and arguing over which organs were which...blah blah blah. In the end, I say who cares? Regardless of what you think of his playing or technique, the fact remains that he has reasonable skill, and he makes his audience happy. One of the central objectives of any musician is to be able to capture an audience with the composition and execution of his music. You can sit around and quibble over technique and style all day, but if no one is listening it doesn't really matter. Enough said. 8)
Agreed, but is it not a sad reflection of the level of musical appreciation from the general public?

If we moved back to the Edwardian period, where nearly every home (even working class in the UK) had a piano, and musical appreciation was inevitably higher, I wonder if this style of playing would have inspired people.

StGeorge

Post by StGeorge » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:18 pm

While exposure may be the first step towards appreciation, at the end of it all, most people just want to dance and be entertained. Who are we to judge them for that? 8)
StGeorge, Slayer of Dragons.

bear

Post by bear » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20 pm

If he is to be compared, it should be to those that do the same thing. Comparing him to a Classical or Flamenco Guitarist is like comparing Segovia to Santana.
By the way, I like Tonne, I like Segovia and I like Santana, Ottmar, Gypsy Kings, Isbin, and many others. I also like Minnie Ripperton and Maria Callas.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Public Space”