Another case question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Rasputin

Another case question

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 pm

I was wondering what you have to spend on a case in order to be confident that your much-loved instrument will survive say 100 flights, assuming it travels in the hold. I doubt there's any real data on this, but maybe folks still have experiences and opinions.

I suppose it's too much to hope that there is a manufacturer out there that offers a guarantee...

Michael.N.

Re: Another case question

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm

I don't think case makers are in the business of offering guarantees for guitars. You'll get a guarantee for the case though, usual defects against materials and manufacture. Of course if someone throws said case from a height of 10 metres don't expect a refund from the case maker.
Historicalguitars.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:55 pm

I think a general rule of thumb is that the case cost must be at a 10% of the instruments value, makes sense..
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm
I don't think case makers are in the business of offering guarantees for guitars. You'll get a guarantee for the case though, usual defects against materials and manufacture. Of course if someone throws said case from a height of 10 metres don't expect a refund from the case maker.
Yes, it would be a brave thing to do given they can't know how it will be (mis)handled, whether the case was already carrying damage, whether the instrument was especially prone to breakage etc etc. Good marketing though.

The case guarantee is of no real value as far as I can see, because the case is basically in a black hole between the time you say goodbye to it at check-in and the time it appears / fails to appear at baggage reclaim. The manufacturer will always be able to say "sorry it must have been dropped from a height of 10 metres", or something along those lines.

Do the pros just make sure their guitars travel in the cabin then, even if it means paying for an extra seat?

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Do a search for "Calton Cases"
Also "Kaura Case"

Those are probably the most reliable for travel and very long lasting. But I suspect they are not cheap.
Yamaha GC42S

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:03 pm

I've also heard very good things about the Visesnut case. It has the added advantage of adapting its inside to the size of the guitar so the guitar is always snugly held, a potentially useful feature if you have guitars of different body size.
Yamaha GC42S

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm

The Visesnut is an excellent case (I have one). That said, some believe it'd be a good flight case, some wouldn't risk it. It is very light in weight, does keep the guitar snugly held, and I've dropped mine a few times and the guitar has never been harmed. Honestly I don't know if I'd want it in the hold, though. That said, it has such a small footprint for a hard case that it could easily fit in the overhead of some jets.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 pm

If you search youtube for:
Epic R. E. Brune Visesnut case demonstration

you will see the guy standing on the case, then dropping it on the floor, with a supposedly expensive guitar inside.

There is a more sedate and informative review in a video titled:
Visesnut Case for Classical Guitar Review

In any case (no pun) I would be very very aprehensive about checking a guitar as if it were a suitcase, because I’ve seen how they treat suitcases, and it is not a pretty sight The risk of damage is significant, even with a sturdy case. There is without a doubt an element of sadism in the way some of those guys throw luggage around.
If the purpuse of traveling with the guitar is to be able to practice during a 2-3 week vacation, I find it much more practical to just rent a guitar for that period, provided there is a shop that rents musical instruments somewhere nearby.
Yamaha GC42S

astro64

Post by astro64 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:57 pm

If you regularly plan to check the guitar, I would get a good case like one of the three mentioned above, and then get a snug fitting thick exterior cover to provide a bit more buffering against falls. The case will protect the guitar from exterior pressure. Anything you can do to soften the blow of impact (i.e. cushioning) will increase the odds the guitar will survive. Also make sure the head inside the guitar is kept snug to avoid whiplash. I am not aware of any case that does that, you'll have to add padding inside yourself.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Francisco wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:01 pm
In any case (no pun) I would be very very aprehensive about checking a guitar as if it were a suitcase, because I’ve seen how they treat suitcases, and it is not a pretty sight The risk of damage is significant, even with a sturdy case. There is without a doubt an element of sadism in the way some of those guys throw luggage around.
Yeah, they do seem to enjoy hoying people's stuff around.

I will be travelling a lot with work over the next few years, to various different places, for a few weeks at a time. One of the advantages of this arrangement is that I will have lots of practice time :D I can't count on being able to rent a guitar at the far end, so I need to decide whether to travel with my existing guitar (value about $3k) or whether buy a cheaper one. I expect I would have to check it as if it were a suitcase most of the time.

I am thinking it is better to get a good case and maybe one of the covers that astro64 is talking about, and take the risk, than to spend money on a second guitar that I don't really want. Still, I will be gutted if it gets broken...

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Does anyone know what happened to those Clam cases that were around for a while. They were essentially an outer case that your regular case was held snugly inside. A quick google shows that they are now CaseXtreme and still around. Hey, I answered my own question.
Might be worth a look. I've never known anyone who's owned one. Anyone ever used one?
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:35 am

I just don't think a checked guitar can be guaranteed to survive handling by the airlines, regardless of the case. I would not check an expensive guitar.

Here is what can happen:

http://the-guitar.com/richard-brune-rep ... en-guitar/

and here is the petition to ask the airlines to stop treating instruments as checked baggage:

https://www.change.org/p/airlines-pleas ... d-properly
Last edited by larryguitar on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:12 am

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 pm
Yeah, they do seem to enjoy hoying people's stuff around.

I will be travelling a lot with work over the next few years, to various different places, for a few weeks at a time. One of the advantages of this arrangement is that I will have lots of practice time :D I can't count on being able to rent a guitar at the far end, so I need to decide whether to travel with my existing guitar (value about $3k) or whether buy a cheaper one. I expect I would have to check it as if it were a suitcase most of the time.

I am thinking it is better to get a good case and maybe one of the covers that astro64 is talking about, and take the risk, than to spend money on a second guitar that I don't really want. Still, I will be gutted if it gets broken...
If you really love or care a lot about your guitar (aside from its dollar value) and you can't really bear the idea of it being broken during one of those throwing contests the luggage people like to engage in, then it will be prudent to look around for something that you find playable enough to use during your trips, but the destruction of which would not cause you major bouts of gloom, or a persistent desire to kick yourself where it hurts most. At least that's what I would do. Because it is a kind of russian roulette you will be playing, in the sense that a guitar that is repeatedly checked as luggage will eventually get seriously damaged.
Whatever case you end up choosing, make sure it does not look extremely nice, even if you have to scratch it and soil it on purpose, make sure it does not telegraph too clearly the notion that it holds something very valuable, because this will increase in some handlers the desire to mistreat it. It is guaranteed.
Yamaha GC42S

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Francisco wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 pm
Do a search for "Calton Cases"
Also "Kaura Case"

Those are probably the most reliable for travel and very long lasting. But I suspect they are not cheap.
I've been flying with Calton cases for many years. The last one I bought about 8 years ago was around $700. Never had a problem with the Caltons -- they seem airline proof. Of course, even the best case doesn't help if the airline loses/misplaces your instrument. So I try to carry mine on whenever possible or else gate-check it, so it's back in my hands ASAP.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Pat Foster
Luthier

Post by Pat Foster » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Another issue, slightly off-topic, is that there's no effort made to protect checked baggage from temperature extremes. I'd be especially worried about sub-zero temperatures in a cargo hold, more of a concern for long flights.

Pat

Return to “Public Space”