Another case question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Francisco

Re: Another case question

Post by Francisco » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm

John Stone wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 pm

I've been flying with Calton cases for many years. The last one I bought about 8 years ago was around $700. Never had a problem with the Caltons -- they seem airline proof. Of course, even the best case doesn't help if the airline loses/misplaces your instrument. So I try to carry mine on whenever possible or else gate-check it, so it's back in my hands ASAP.
I imagine that if an item is gate-checked, as happens with baby strollers etc, it will not go with the bulk of the luggage, since they need to access it right away upon arrival, so I suppose it will receive better treatment because if there is damage it can be seen immediately by the owner, and the handlers more easily identified. The problem arises when/if they don't even let you go to the gate with your guitar and they force you to either check it as general luggage, or leave it behind. In this situation, the way they throw things sometimes (with deliberate nastiness) I don't think any kind of case could guarantee there won't be damage to the guitar. For example, you'd be surprised how easily a guitar neck can break in a bad fall.
Yamaha GC42S

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:34 pm
Does anyone know what happened to those Clam cases that were around for a while. They were essentially an outer case that your regular case was held snugly inside. A quick google shows that they are now CaseXtreme and still around. Hey, I answered my own question.
Might be worth a look. I've never known anyone who's owned one. Anyone ever used one?
I have one and have flown with it successfully. At the time I had a "standard" case for my guitar. The Clam worked great and gave me great peace of mind. The one drawback is that it is big...maybe too big for the trunk of a smallish car. I ended up putting in the back seat of the rental car I had for the concert appearance.

Now that I have a good flight case I won't be using it again. I guess I should advertise it in the accessories forum.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 am

Francisco wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:10 pm
I imagine that if an item is gate-checked, as happens with baby strollers etc, it will not go with the bulk of the luggage, since they need to access it right away upon arrival, so I suppose it will receive better treatment because if there is damage it can be seen immediately by the owner, and the handlers more easily identified. The problem arises when/if they don't even let you go to the gate with your guitar and they force you to either check it as general luggage, or leave it behind. In this situation, the way they throw things sometimes (with deliberate nastiness) I don't think any kind of case could guarantee there won't be damage to the guitar. For example, you'd be surprised how easily a guitar neck can break in a bad fall.
Oh, I don't have a false sense of security. But I've watched in horror from an airplane window as a baggage handler hurled my Calton case as if it were a bag of dirt. The guitar was fine. Top shelf flight cases these days are incredibly durable. But they're not cheap.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm

John Stone wrote:
I've been flying with Calton cases for many years. The last one I bought about 8 years ago was around $700. Never had a problem with the Caltons -- they seem airline proof. Of course, even the best case doesn't help if the airline loses/misplaces your instrument. So I try to carry mine on whenever possible or else gate-check it, so it's back in my hands ASAP.
Thanks John - how many times has it gone in the hold over the years, would you say?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 pm
Guitar-ded wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to those Clam cases that were around for a while. They were essentially an outer case that your regular case was held snugly inside. A quick google shows that they are now CaseXtreme and still around. Hey, I answered my own question.
Might be worth a look. I've never known anyone who's owned one. Anyone ever used one?
I have one and have flown with it successfully. At the time I had a "standard" case for my guitar. The Clam worked great and gave me great peace of mind. The one drawback is that it is big...maybe too big for the trunk of a smallish car. I ended up putting in the back seat of the rental car I had for the concert appearance.

Now that I have a good flight case I won't be using it again. I guess I should advertise it in the accessories forum.
I do and only used it twice. It is also incredibly expensive to ship a guitar in it due to the extra size and extra weight.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm
Guitar-ded wrote:

I do and only used it twice. It is also incredibly expensive to ship a guitar in it due to the extra size and extra weight.
I agree that this would be expensive to ship, mostly because of the size. But I didn't pay anything extra to check it on the airline. As to the weight, it doesn't weigh all that much...and it has wheels! It does get strange looks, though, since it looks like a little coffin.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:40 am

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 pm
bacsidoan wrote:

I agree that this would be expensive to ship, mostly because of the size. But I didn't pay anything extra to check it on the airline. As to the weight, it doesn't weigh all that much...and it has wheels! It does get strange looks, though, since it looks like a little coffin.
If I have to check in a guitar on air airline, I'll use it again. There's nothing safer than the "Clam" as the outer shell for a well padded hard case (Hiscox, Hoffee...) inside.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:07 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:40 am
Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 pm
bacsidoan wrote:

If I have to check in a guitar on air airline, I'll use it again. There's nothing safer than the "Clam" as the outer shell for a well padded hard case (Hiscox, Hoffee...) inside.

Thanks guys, good info.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

JayGuitar

Post by JayGuitar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:30 pm

I own two karuras and one visesnut. The karura gives me a bit for confidence when checking it at the ticket counter. The visesnut is great too and incredibly light and slim profile. Both are great cases.

Ironwood

Post by Ironwood » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 pm

For what it's worth . . . . after carefully examining the various "flight cases" currently available, I still believe that Caltons are the strongest and most reliable. Why? I assure you it's not their weight because Caltons are probably the heaviest of all of the cases available. Caltons are custom-fitted for each instrument so each instrument fits snuggly into the thick, dense padding between the case walls and the guitar within. The large pickcase offers generous space for picks, capos, string sets, Snark or Snark-like tuners, but its real purpose is to properly support the neck to traumatic the possibility of damage to the neck-body join and the point at which the neck opens into the headstock. The minimise cover also is solid and securely attached to the case. I personally have witnessed two guitars in minimise that, had they been in most other cases, would have been traumatic damaged if not utterly destroyed. In one severely, on a short-haul domestic flight, a steel shaft managed to penetrate the outer shell of a instance, but never got close enough to the fretboard to cause any damage. I also have seen a severely dropped as it was being loaded into the back of a lorry tasked with driving equipment and instruments from on a tour. The outer shell was obviously marred and partly dented but the instrument inside was undamaged. The seals are reliable. My cases have been tested in British weather and a couple of American torrential downpours. Calton also offers a choice of colours for both the exterior shell and the plush interior.

Hiscox cases certainly are lighter, but the colour choice seriously limited. The current line is more aesthetically pleasing than the cases of old, but they can be awkward to carry. Brynn Hiscox once told me his cases are built to absorb the shock and minimise, if not eliminate the damage to the instrument within, but the case would likely have to be replaced. My one complaint is the severely cover still seems a bit fragile and imminently in danger of being ripped off. Hiscox were and continue to be the choice for Lowden Guitars, as well as many UK-based luthiers. I currently own two made to hold Telecaster-type guitars and am confident both are safely stored within.

I like the Hoffee, Karura and Visesnut cases. All are noticeably lighter than a Calton, but the interior padding doesn't seem as plush or as dense as in the Calton, and don't appear to offer the instrument stored within the same stability as the Calton. That, of course, is my perception, but reality may be something very different. Lastly, although the Caltons are by no means inexpensive, the other cases just mentioned are significantly more expensive. Of course, it is unlikely one would be permitted to bring a heavy flight case into the cabin unless one were flying First Class, possibly Business, but regardless, if one wants or needs to fly with a valuable instrument, it's better and more re-assuring that one's guitar is as well protected as possible should it have to be flown with the rest of the baggage (even if hand-carried into the hold), rather than spend the entire flight worrying. And after watching a seriously "banged up" wooden case circulate on the luggage carousel the other night and listen to its shaken owner inspect the damaged guitar within, I recommend one give serious thought to purchasing a real flight case. It's ultimately cheaper and much less traumatic to replace a case than a prized guitar.
V. E.

'72 Guild Mark II
'76 Gurian S3M
'96 Sobell Model 1 Sicilian
'97 Bown 000
'00 Aram "Hauser"
'09 Martin 000-18 Marquis
'11 Nick Apollonio 12-string Bell
'12 Martin D-41 Custom
'13 Martin M-30 Jorma Kaukonen
'17 Martin CS OMC-21
and more.

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm
John Stone wrote:
Thanks John - how many times has it gone in the hold over the years, would you say?
I'd say around 30. It's really built like a tank. It's scratched and scarred, but I think it would require a pretty strenuous, sustained effort for a human being to cause any structural damage to it.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks - that's a pretty good track record!

Return to “Public Space”