Playing Hymns on Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Re: Playing Hymns on Classical Guitar

Post by Altophile » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 am

You can get "Favorite Hymns for Acoustic Guitar" and "Eternal Guitar", both by Rick Foster, directly from his website, here:

http://rickfosterguitar.com/rec.html

The latter has a nice arrangement of Bach's "Air" in C, but I personally prefer Per-Olov Kindgren's arrangement of that piece.

~Sean

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am

Try www.erichillguitardownloads.co.uk - as well as having all Eric's catalogue for free download (some superb playing) there is a page of a dozen of his hymn and religious arrangements - also free to download.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:29 am

Mark Cruz has wonderful and creative arrangements of hymns in two volumes (Hymnody I & II).
www.Markanthonycruz.com

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Les Backshall wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:57 am
Try www.erichillguitardownloads.co.uk - as well as having all Eric's catalogue for free download (some superb playing) there is a page of a dozen of his hymn and religious arrangements - also free to download.

Les
No link established.
1978 Yamaha GC30A-S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid-S/BRW
2014 Sen #5-S/BRW
2016 HNLim-S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950-S/BRW-0-string-convert 2015
2017 HN Lim-14-string-S/BRW
HN Lim 13-string-S/NEW-WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800-Retired

ALL ARE FOR SALE IF PRICE IS RIGHT

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:47 am

Hey Carol,

Welcome to the forum! I would just work with the hymns you already have and know. Just read one voice at a time, and gradually experiment with putting them together. Four-part harmony is no beginner's work on the guitar! I would work up to it.

Alternatively, there are countless hymn arrangements for guitar already out there. Many of the aforementioned would be suitable.

P.S. Christopher Parkening is not only a great arranger, but one of the foremost advocates of sacred guitar music. I'd highly recommend his Simple Gifts album on EMI if that's your thing.

Good luck!
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:18 am

Hymns are usually arranged for 4 parts. Piano/organ accompaniment plays those (I assume) as well, though distant memory is that intro and offertory versions are more elaborate. But I didn't know much about harmony when I grew up around that kind of music.

When played on a guitar does it sound better to play the parts (bass and middle) as chords, or arpeggios, fingerstyle? Or is that basically a matter of taste.

Contemporary gospel (worship choruses) seems to have different harmony rules. Like the Fake books, the music is written as lyrics, melody and chords, or often without the melody. And the chords are usually strummed. Mostly that music foreign to me, different from both hymnody that I grew up with, and the 19c classical guitar stuff that I'm immersed in how.

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Look up "The Faithful Guitarist" with arrangements by Rex Thomas. I find some classical guitar hymn arrangements quite boring and basic, but Rex has very tasteful and musical arrangements that are not too difficult to learn. If you can find one online, snatch it because these seem to be out of print.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm

souldier wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:57 pm
Look up "The Faithful Guitarist" with arrangements by Rex Thomas. I find some classical guitar hymn arrangements quite boring and basic, but Rex has very tasteful and musical arrangements that are not too difficult to learn. If you can find one online, snatch it because these seem to be out of print.
Souldier, do you have a listing of the titles?

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:37 pm

TheEvan wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm
souldier wrote:
Souldier, do you have a listing of the titles?
Yes:
My Jesus, I Love Thee
Only Trust Him
I Love to Tell the Story
Faith of Our Fathers
There is a Fountain
Just As I Am
I Need Thee Every Hour
Blest Be the Tie That Binds
Near the Cross
In the Garden
Sweet Hour of Prayer
More About Jesus

search: the faithful guitarist chandler music on google and it should be the 5th option or so. I would seriously snatch one as they are becoming very hard to find and the arrangements are good quality but are very playable. Most of the songs usually start with an intro and have a key change. They also have tablature for those who don't like reading notes with the suggesting fingering. I purchased mine from Amazon
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:26 pm

CarolBe wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:34 pm
How does tabledit work?
Hi Carol,

Tabledit is a program to create tablature and / or standard notation for fretted instruments like guitar or lute.
It is not expensive, less complex than Finale or Sibelius (expensive and very powerful tools).
You could use it to import midi files of hymns to get a first draft of a score, which needs more or less editing to make it playable on a guitar.
More information can be found on the corresponding site (use the program name + .com).

One of our members (Giuseppe Torrisi) uses it to publish his transcriptions, and it has been used for many publications. It is also useful to convert tablature to standard notation.
For engraving scores you can also use Musescore, a free programm, recommended by several members here.

Bernhard

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 pm

souldier wrote:
Thanks! I just ordered mine.
1978 Yamaha GC30A-S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid-S/BRW
2014 Sen #5-S/BRW
2016 HNLim-S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950-S/BRW-0-string-convert 2015
2017 HN Lim-14-string-S/BRW
HN Lim 13-string-S/NEW-WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800-Retired

ALL ARE FOR SALE IF PRICE IS RIGHT

OldC1guy

Post by OldC1guy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:05 pm

I sang in church choirs for years. During the summer, the choir got a break. I played during the choir spot many times, but not always hymns. I'll call them appropriate pieces. Anything not too heavy worked well. In one church the minister played violin occasionally, in another an alto singer played cello. Choose carefully.
I bought my classical guitar before my first marriage. That didn’t last, but the guitar did; one of the few things she didn't get...

CarolBe

Post by CarolBe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Wow! You are all so full of information!! Thank you so much!!

CarolBe

Post by CarolBe » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:08 pm

HNLim wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 pm
souldier wrote:
Thanks! I just ordered mine.
I just ordered mine too!!! :merci: :D

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Jim Davidson wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:47 am
P.S. Christopher Parkening is not only a great arranger, but one of the foremost advocates of sacred guitar music. I'd highly recommend his Simple Gifts album on EMI if that's your thing.
+1

Return to “Public Space”