What is the most ambitious piece written for classical guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kevin Cowen

Re: What is the most ambitious piece written for classical guitar?

Post by Kevin Cowen » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Sorry Stephen.
It's Windy Millers theme tune.
I think people take themselves too seriously sometimes.

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:35 pm

And I'm a huge fan of Freddie Phillips.

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:31 pm
Sorry Stephen.
what's the point of your comments in this thread? are you making fun of someone or something, I clearly don't understand. what do you mean, who is windy millers, what is your contribution to this thread, nothing.

mingchao

Post by mingchao » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:53 am

Britten's Nocturnal and Ponce's Variations and Fugue on "Folia de España" are both monumental pieces.

PaulHardy

Post by PaulHardy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:40 am

From what I've read about it on this forum, I think Ferneyhough's Kurze Schatten is probably a candidate for this club

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 am

I remember being sent some extremely large and ambitious pieces by Mark Delpriora, some videos are in the usual place ... sonatas and the like.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Digory Piper

Post by Digory Piper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:59 pm

PaulHardy wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:40 am
From what I've read about it on this forum, I think Ferneyhough's Kurze Schatten is probably a candidate for this club
Some pieces appear to have been written against, as opposed to for, the classical guitar.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:02 pm

tosunpasa wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm
Kevin Cowen wrote:
Sorry Stephen.
what's the point of your comments in this thread? are you making fun of someone or something, I clearly don't understand. what do you mean, who is windy millers, what is your contribution to this thread, nothing.
He is referring to some obscure (for all around the world except for Brits perhaps) British television kid's show from the 1960s, Camberwick Green (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camberwick_Green) of the "Trumptonshire trilogy", where there is a character "Windy Miller" and the music is by Freddie Phillips. I don't think any harm was meant, but sometimes people forget that this is an international forum so regional pop-culture references might be incomprehensible to most.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Anyway, from what i see and what you have written, this thread or rather this enquiry is becoming rather fruitful, im hoping that many newcomers in this forum (including me) will learn relatively unknown and long-form pieces. I should add Paganini's Grand Sonata in A as an early example of big scale composing.

Youtube

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:46 pm

From the website "Guitar Composers of the Early Romantic Period":

Nicholas Makaroff ( 1810 - 1890 ) - Russian noble and virtuoso guitarist. Makaroff left behind his fascinating Memoirs of Makaroff which are essential reading for anyone studying 19th century guitar. His music was extraordinarily demanding, nearly unplayable. Makaroff preferred the 8-string and later 10-string instrument. He is most famous for having a composer's contest, at which Mertz was awarded first prize post-humously, and Coste second prize. Several pieces are available for free PDF download from REX and Boije.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:50 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:02 pm
tosunpasa wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm
Kevin Cowen wrote:
Sorry Stephen.
He is referring to some obscure (for all around the world except for Brits perhaps) British television kid's show from the 1960s, Camberwick Green (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camberwick_Green) of the "Trumptonshire trilogy", where there is a character "Windy Miller" and the music is by Freddie Phillips. I don't think any harm was meant, but sometimes people forget that this is an international forum so regional pop-culture references might be incomprehensible to most.
Indeed, though despite being entirely from UK (and from the 1960s!), it meant nothing to me either!
Louis Panormo (1838)

djajasoekarta

Post by djajasoekarta » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am

From 19th Century I think Sor Op.16 stands out as the most ambitious.
Recent period, I think Ferneyhough Kurze Schatten II is one of the contender although personally I don't feel connected much to that piece.
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

tosunpasa

Post by tosunpasa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:43 am

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:46 pm
From the website "Guitar Composers of the Early Romantic Period":

Nicholas Makaroff ( 1810 - 1890 ) - Russian noble and virtuoso guitarist. Makaroff left behind his fascinating Memoirs of Makaroff which are essential reading for anyone studying 19th century guitar. His music was extraordinarily demanding, nearly unplayable. Makaroff preferred the 8-string and later 10-string instrument. He is most famous for having a composer's contest, at which Mertz was awarded first prize post-humously, and Coste second prize. Several pieces are available for free PDF download from REX and Boije.
Thanks! I've read Makaroff's memoirs and it was truly enjoyable and inspiring. Almost like a short story about this quest to find the perfection. What I don't understand is how is Makaroff not known today, there is no recording of his compositions. It seems that he was the greatest players of his time and his composition symphonic fantasy was the most challenging piece af that time. Surely, someone has the sheet music of Makaroff. I would like to hear anything by him. I can say that Makaroff's efforts to make guitar a more serious instrument is further realized by Tarrega. Also, Makaroff loves Kaspar Mertz and talks about his great pieces, does anyone know what are these pieces?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:58 pm

djajasoekarta wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 am
From 19th Century I think Sor Op.16 stands out as the most ambitious.
Perhaps, but have you looked at the bigger pieces of Regondi? Or the Grande Polonaise by Bobrowicz?
Louis Panormo (1838)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:01 pm

tosunpasa wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:43 am
.... Makaroff loves Kaspar Mertz and talks about his great pieces, does anyone know what are these pieces?
Well, do you know Mertz as a composer? Whether or no, probably the large pieces of his we still play or hear today might probably have been those mentioned by Makaroff, unless there were any unpublished works that he knew that have not survived.

If you happen to be looking up Mertz for the first time, note that at different times and place he seems to have used different first names.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Return to “Public Space”