Wittner Taktell Piccolo

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
joachim33

Wittner Taktell Piccolo

Post by joachim33 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am

Hi

I am considering acquiring an old fashioned mechanical metronome. I am considering an Wittner Taktell Piccolo. I understand these are quite popular and have been produced over a long period time. It is advertised as "easy to transport". Anyone using them here? Any comments? How sensitive are they regarding being knocked around (e.g. under transport)?

Thanks
Joachim

Tim W

Re: Wittner Taktell Piccolo

Post by Tim W » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 am

I've had mine for 30+ years and it seems indestructible. I once left it too close to a hot wood stove and melted it a bit so that the cover no loner fits, but it still works fine. Truth in advertising: since I discovered the EUM Pro Metronome app for my iPhone, I never use the Taktell...it's one less thing to carry.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:32 pm

Tim W wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 am
I've had mine for 30+ years and it seems indestructible. I once left it too close to a hot wood stove and melted it a bit so that the cover no loner fits, but it still works fine. Truth in advertising: since I discovered the EUM Pro Metronome app for my iPhone, I never use the Taktell...it's one less thing to carry.
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response. I am currently using iPhone apps, but I am not really getting on with them, so I'd like to try it the traditional way, hoping that the optical clues of the swinging pendulum are going to help.

Thanks again
Joachim

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 pm

I got a Wittner in the 70s (a model 801m). It spent three decades in the loft, but I found it and it's still working. Prices can be sky-high, so shop around.
Last edited by Andrew Fryer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 am

joachim33 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am
Hi

I am considering acquiring an old fashioned mechanical metronome. I am considering an Wittner Taktell Piccolo. I understand these are quite popular and have been produced over a long period time. It is advertised as "easy to transport". Anyone using them here? Any comments? How sensitive are they regarding being knocked around (e.g. under transport)?

Thanks
Joachim

I have the Model 834. I've had it for decades. It's sturdy. I think it might crack if dropped but mine is in good shape. HOWEVER, I don't travel with it. It sits on the piano (my guitar teacher thinks it's funny and old fashioned.) It's also fairly large compared to a Seiko electronic metronome. The size is why I don't carry it around. The Seiko SQ50-V Quartz fits in the palm of a hand but can stand up. Very popular with musicians and travels well. I have an older model but I keep misplacing it. I think the Seikos are a good compromise if you want a device and not a phone app for a metronome but you want something portable.

Growing up we had one of those more decorative wood Seth Thomas metronomes but they are not sturdy. The mechanism isn't as durable as the Taktel.

Briant

Post by Briant » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 am

I am using the Wittner Taktell Piccolo for a couple of years now. It is ok to transport as long as you make sure that the arm is clipped into place before moving.
I prefer the mechanical metronome to a electronic one, i also prefer a book to an e reader,
The only problem i have found with the piccolo is that the engraving on the arm is hard to read at slow speed settings.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Gwynedd wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 am
It sits on the piano (my guitar teacher thinks it's funny and old fashioned.)

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 pm

No one has mentioned the colour of their Taktell, which is a ridiculous omission. Mine is brown. :(
My taktell is the only metronome that I've ever come across that keeps time (I've tried hundreds). I do have to place it on a slope of 30 degrees to get it to tick tock in time though. That Maelzel chap wasn't as clever as many people think.
Historicalguitars.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:07 am

+1 on traditional metronomes. I have the "Wittner Super Mini" which fits nicely into small bags. I also have various iOS-Apps but really prefer natural clicks. Probably just a matter of individual taste.

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:50 pm

Curious painting--or is it a collage?

BTW my Taktel is burgundy red.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Gwynedd wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:50 pm
Curious painting--or is it a collage?
The painting is Matisse's The Piano Lesson. As it happens, I've never liked it - to me it's as pedantic as the pedantry it criticises.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:48 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 pm
No one has mentioned the colour of their Taktell, which is a ridiculous omission. Mine is brown. :(
My taktell is the only metronome that I've ever come across that keeps time (I've tried hundreds). I do have to place it on a slope of 30 degrees to get it to tick tock in time though. That Maelzel chap wasn't as clever as many people think.
I am wondering whether this can be adjusted. Is there something like an adjustment screw inside? If so would that be a diy job? Anyone knows?

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 am

guitarguy wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:07 am
+1 on traditional metronomes. I have the "Wittner Super Mini" which fits nicely into small bags. I also have various iOS-Apps but really prefer natural clicks. Probably just a matter of individual taste.
The smaller super mini and piccolino models are kind of cool. Nice pieces of mechanical engineering.

You find it sufficiently loud? The larger ones are said to have more volume.

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:22 am

joachim33 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:59 am
guitarguy wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:07 am
The smaller super mini and piccolino models are kind of cool. Nice pieces of mechanical engineering.

You find it sufficiently loud? The larger ones are said to have more volume.
For solo practise it is loud enough and quite pleasant (as far as it gets with a metronome :D ). For my guitar quintett we usually go for the iPad as it is louder.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 am

joachim33 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:48 am
Michael.N. wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 pm
I am wondering whether this can be adjusted. Is there something like an adjustment screw inside? If so would that be a diy job? Anyone knows?
I jest. All metronomes keep perfect time. . . . at least the vast majority of them do.
I'm a bit envious of the person who has a burgundy one though.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Public Space”