.....Nice find with my C10 !.....

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
MarkInLA

.....Nice find with my C10 !.....

Post by MarkInLA » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:16 am

If you have been having a love-hate relationship with your Cordoba C10 as I'd always had, read this. They advise that the C10 needs high tension strings and high action to make the guitar 'speak up'. And due to this, though, you get LH muscle aches holding barres or stretches for many measures (if you don't have large hands, say), take the saddle out and file it down to the action YOU really would want. Also, the saddle is crowned as if for a crowned fingerboard. But the fingerboard is NOT crowned (bad design issue). So, you also need get rid of this crown, too. You'll then need to round off the top of the saddle. Then put Med to lite strings on, replacing those heavy Savarez it comes with and is advised to stay with.. I did these things and, wow, it's a 'real' classical guitar now and doesn't any longer feel like a 'heavy equipment rig'.. The lighter strings sound warm and have all the volume needed, even with the lowered action...It feels closer to me, more 'ethnic-spanish', and still retains the classy esthetics, framework and beautiful woods a good guitar needs...I was going to sell it, but now it's the guitar it should be and I'll never sell it...Of course this is my experience. You may not be unhappy at all, from the get go..Report back if you do do it for same or similar reasons. ...Mark
:)

simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: .....Nice find with my C10 !.....

Post by simonm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Welcome to Ramon's club … :-)

musicstand

Post by musicstand » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:23 pm

"I fix things with strings"
Welcome to the real world of the luthier. The making of the instrument is only the beginning.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Back when I had my C9, I found that it did prefer high tension strings, yet it was one of my most playable guitars with great neck shape, action, and the strings felt soft under my left hand. It also had enormous volume and beautiful tone... I almost regret letting it go.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:34 am

Glad you've found the right strings and set up for your C10. I did similar work with the saddle and action on my C10. I've compromised with heavy bass strings and medium trebles. I agree that the guitar has a really nice Spanish sound.
Last edited by John Stone on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 am

simonm wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 pm
Welcome to Ramon's club … :-)
I've no idea what this means at all...

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 am

souldier wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 pm
Back when I had my C9, I found that it did prefer high tension strings, yet it was one of my most playable guitars with great neck shape, action, and the strings felt soft under my left hand. It also had enormous volume and beautiful tone... I almost regret letting it go.
I was referring to those C10 owners and what I did to my C10 which brought it to life for me; not C9 owners and if they are content or not... I'm glad you are content with yours but your response doesn't pertain to the OP...M

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:08 am

musicstand wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:23 pm
"I fix things with strings"
Welcome to the real world of the luthier. The making of the instrument is only the beginning.
Meaning what ? I'm not a luthier and It doesn't pertain to my OP...M

musicstand

Post by musicstand » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:06 am

Hello MarkInLA,
Your original post "" MarkInLA » Thursday 03 August 2017, 00:16 am

snip off a wee bit at the start..... take the saddle out and file it down to the action YOU really would want. Also, the saddle is crowned as if for a crowned fingerboard. But the fingerboard is NOT crowned (bad design issue). So, you also need get rid of this crown, too. You'll then need to round off the top of the saddle. Then put Med to lite strings on, replacing those heavy Savarez it comes with and is advised to stay with.. I did these things and, wow, it's a 'real' classical guitar now and doesn't any longer feel like a 'heavy equipment rig'.. The lighter strings sound warm and have all the volume needed, even with the lowered action...It feels closer to me, more 'ethnic-spanish', and still retains the classy esthetics, framework and beautiful woods a good guitar needs...I was going to sell it, but now it's the guitar it should be and I'll never sell it...Of course this is my experience. You may not be unhappy at all, from the get go..Report back if you do do it for same or similar reasons. ...Mark
:)
Your last post....."Meaning what ? I'm not a luthier and It doesn't pertain to my OP...M""
Please forgive me. I thought perhaps you were.

MarkInLA

Post by MarkInLA » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 am

'musicstand', why would you think I'm a luthier ? It's obvious I'm not. I didn't infer that in any way. Also, you're misquoting me. Nowhere do I say " snip off a wee bit at the start "...M

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 am

MarkInLA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 am
'musicstand', why would you think I'm a luthier ? It's obvious I'm not. I didn't infer that in any way. Also, you're misquoting me. Nowhere do I say " snip off a wee bit at the start "...M
I'm pretry sure he was saying that in quoting your message, he snipped off a wee bit of your post at the start. I think you may be taking offense at people who are trying to be of help or expand the discussion. If all forum comments that didn't directly relate to the OPs were removed, I think this would be a much less interesting and informative place. And much shorter! (Also, the word you're looking for is "imply.")
-Bob

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:44 am

MarkInLA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 am
souldier wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 pm
I was referring to those C10 owners and what I did to my C10 which brought it to life for me; not C9 owners and if they are content or not... I'm glad you are content with yours but your response doesn't pertain to the OP...M
I mentioned the C9 because it is identical to the C10 in terms of feel, build, etc. except for the IRW back and sides. I shared my experience because it contrasted with yours and it could give another perspective to current or future owners of Cordoba guitars.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:45 pm

I did the exact same thing with my Cordoba Solista. It's now a great sounding and playing guitar.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

musicstand

Post by musicstand » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:29 pm

hesson11 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:04 am
MarkInLA wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 am
I'm pretry sure he was saying that in quoting your message, he snipped off a wee bit of your post at the start. I think you may be taking offense at people who are trying to be of help or expand the discussion. If all forum comments that didn't directly relate to the OPs were removed, I think this would be a much less interesting and informative place. And much shorter! (Also, the word you're looking for is "imply.")
-Bob
Thank you Bob for your response. You and I will keep enjoying ourselves regardless.

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Sorry - duplicate post when attempting to edit... (Wish we had a "delete" function!)
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Return to “Public Space”