Luthier Student Level Guitars.

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Leendavid89

Re: Luthier Student Level Guitars.

Post by Leendavid89 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Picado 60 is a fine guitar. I don't see the point in a 3000.00 dollar range, unless it is a concert guitar. I bought the Picado 53 spruce and it's a nice all solid workhorse of a guitar. Depends on who you are. If your an amateur school teacher with limited practice time the 53 is more than enough guitar to last me a lifetime. If you are headed for the concert stage, different story.

Leendavid89

Post by Leendavid89 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:44 pm

Be careful with new luthiers. I bought one from a new luthier in the 90s and the guitar was built like a tank. Not in good way. Picado is as consistent as anybody in the industry. Great little company. I play the 53 spruce. Honestly if your an amateur guitarist it's more than enough guitar to last a lifetime. There is so much adjusting going on with any new guitar. The player has to adjust to the guitar and the guitar needs to be played in. It's almost useless making final decisions based on playing a guitar in a shop. Picado 60 are really nice. Almost a Concert guitar. I highly recommend them.

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:43 am

Wait and get something better.

I'd also highly discourage online ordering. Price does not strictly equal a better instrument. I'd play from a large selection.

I've heard great things about the Classical Guitar Store in Philly. If you want a longer road trip, I'd recommend Savage Classical on Long Island in NY. Just pick the one that sounds best to you.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

630mm

Post by 630mm » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 am

Finding and buying a guitar online that is far and away better to your ears than your C9 will be a luck of the draw, and would certainly not be guaranteed, no matter the reputation of the shop. The reputation and the woods used will probably increase your odds but will also drive the new and used price up too. If buying without trying is your only option, I would carefully buy used at a price point where you can resell it easily at a similar price.
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Kenro

Post by Kenro » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:48 pm

hi there :D , does someone in the forum have an idea about where I can find the sound sample for spruce top Francisco Navarro student model guitar? The one I was able to find on YouTube for the student model was the cedar top, I also could find the spruce top's sound sample for the concert classical and grand concert classical there but not the student model. thank you in advance and please let me know if by chance I could find the sound sample in this forum :merci: :D
Check out my classical guitar arrangement for Schumann's TrÀumerei (in original key): https://youtu.be/n4QulIit2FU
Guitar: Alhambra 4PA

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:47 am

I'm in the process of having a guitar built by Graham Hawkes in Australia. Completely customized, including case and shipping for about $3500. The exchange rate is in favor of the US right now. I added some stuff so you could get it for less than that as well.

Lsulit

Post by Lsulit » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:04 am

My take on it is it depends on where you are as a musician. If you are playing beginner to intermediate pieces, a 3k guitar may be premature and it may make more sense to put more money into lessons to help monitor and foster your growth. If you consider yourself intermediate on the border of advanced then you may notice a difference with a 3k guitar. I think when someone says "student level" guitar, luthier or not...most people would not think of spending 3k. For me at least, I feel I want to "earn" a higher level guitar. Even though I can buy a more expensive guitar, I am restraining myself until my repertoire reflects it. Don't wanna spend 10k for top of the line bike when you are getting dusted by someone on an aluminum bike. 😜

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Ricardo,

You may be aware of this already, but you're only an hour or so from a shop in Philadelphia that specializes in classical guitars and seems to have products from each of the manufacturers you have mentioned as part of its regular inventory. You could theoretically try them all in an afternoon! (I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link to this commercial site, but just try a web search for "classical guitars Philadelphia" and it will be among the first to pop up).

Best of luck,

Mark

Zen

Post by Zen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:00 pm

IMHO, you can’t go wrong with an Estudio model by California luthier German Vasquez Rubio.
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

Rome714

Post by Rome714 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:38 pm

I have a GV Rubio Estudio as well and you can pay way less than $3000 for one but it won't be as good as nice Luthier instrument. You can get good deals on used Luthier instruments that are lesser known if that's what you really want. If you want to save a lot of money I'd look at the Rubio or Almansa brand I had good experiences with both.
76' Mattingly CD/IN, 95' David Daily CD/IN, 97' Eric Sahlin SP/BRW(serial #200), 03' GV Rubio Estudio CD/Palo escrito
03' Malapanis CD/Cocobolo, 06' Brian Dunn SP/IN, 09' Coung Luthier(Lattice) CD/IN, 13' Vowinkel CD/BRW

JohnH*

Post by JohnH* » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:19 am

So you've got $3000 to spend on a new guitar... good for you! It doesn't matter if you "need" one or not; it doesn't matter whether or not you "deserve" one. All that matters is that you want one and can afford it. Get yourself to as many guitar shops as you can. Let somebody play the guitars in your price range and identify the ones that are pleasing to your ears. Then try them out yourself to see which is comfortable in your embrace. Buy the guitar that you like... the best that you can afford. It doesn't matter whose name is on the guitar, it doesn't guarantee that it will sound or feel good to you. Don't be in a hurry to part with your money; wait for the right one to come along. Don't buy anything without hearing and holding it first! That's a crapshoot and the house always wins!
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
1991 Yairi CY140 CSA Rosewood/Cedar
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

montana

Post by montana » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:06 am

RicardoMarcos wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:15 am
Hello you all. I'm in West Chester, PA. Thanks for all messages.
You can find a luthier in Canada and get a great exchange rate. The name Robert England comes to mind...,may have that wrong , but this luthier is in Ontario I believe which is not that far away

mtenuta

Post by mtenuta » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 pm

I would check out: "grand salon de guitare" - you will find the link easily on any search engine. {mod edit.}

Paul has a great selection and has a great mode from his De Cascia line called the Sylvia which fits right in your budget

Return to “Public Space”