Guess The Musical Quote From a Sergio Assad Work - Win a Musical Prize!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Ray

Guess The Musical Quote From a Sergio Assad Work - Win a Musical Prize!

Post by Ray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 am

OK so I was listening to an absolutely beautiful solo guitar piece today by the great composer-guitarist Sergio Assad titled Eli's Portrait (dedicated to the esteemed Canadian guitar pedagogue Eli Kassner) and I couldn't help but notice that towards the end of the piece Sergio quotes (either on purpose or maybe just by musical osmosis) a phrase from a beautiful adult contemporary song from the 1960's. The rhythm, melody and harmonization of this phrase from Sergio's Eli's Portrait is practically the same as this song written decades earlier.

There's a number of performances on YouTube of Assad's Eli's Portrait to listen to.

The first person that posts here and correctly identifies the song I'm talking about will get my really nice solo guitar arrangement of The Three Ravens from Thomas Ravenscroft's folk song collection Melismata from 1611, a wonderful renaissance tune recorded famously by Peter, Paul and Mary and many others. Just send me a private message with an email and I'll send you a PDF.

Well good luck, eagerly awaiting your answer(s)! :D

P.S. The song that Sergio Assad quotes in Eli's Portrait appears on a Sergio Mendes album - (that's a very good clue!!!) :D

Cheers, Ray
Last edited by Ray on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Guess The Musical Quote From a Sergio Assad Work - Win a Musical Prize!

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:41 am

Ray wrote:a beautiful adult contemporary song from the 1960's
What do you mean by "adult"?

Ray

Post by Ray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:42 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:41 am
Ray wrote:a beautiful adult contemporary song from the 1960's
What do you mean by "adult"?
Here's the category/genre explained by Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult_contemporary_music

I don't know maybe it's more like light bossa-nova or what people today would categorize as easy listening lounge music :wink:

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:31 am

Ray wrote:Here's the category/genre explained by Wiki
Well Ray - that's truly bizarre - never heard of the category before - and there are "soft" and "hot" sub-genres!? Adult contemporary indeed - whoever felt the need to label it that way I wonder? Marketing nous of not quite the finest order.

But to your question - beats me - I just played through Eli's Portrait myself and spotted ... nothing. Your arrangement is safe.

Ray

Post by Ray » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:31 am
Ray wrote:Here's the category/genre explained by Wiki
Well Ray - that's truly bizarre - never heard of the category before - and there are "soft" and "hot" sub-genres!? Adult contemporary indeed - whoever felt the need to label it that way I wonder? Marketing nous of not quite the finest order.

But to your question - beats me - I just played through Eli's Portrait myself and spotted ... nothing. Your arrangement is safe.
Hi Mark, Well thanks for playing through Eli's Portrait (does that mean you listened to a recording or already had the score and actually played through it?). I appreciate the effort, just wondering if you caught my Sergio Mendes clue because if you know his albums from the '60's the quote I would say is fairly obvious :)

Yes Adult contemporary is pretty much an American term and I see you're from the UK so maybe they don't use that category there. Here we have radio stations completely devoted to it lol

Thanks again,

Ray

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Ray wrote:does that mean you listened to a recording or already had the score and actually played through it?
I have the score - but no Sergio Mendes albums so I was not in with much of a chance really.

Ray

Post by Ray » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:33 am

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 pm
Ray wrote:does that mean you listened to a recording or already had the score and actually played through it?
I have the score - but no Sergio Mendes albums so I was not in with much of a chance really.
Hi again Mark - OK I'll give you one more helpful clue in case you're still interested, go to YouTube and search for

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 ‎– Greatest Hits - 1970 - full vinyl album

Skim through the songs a bit and you should be able to find which one is quoted since you have the score to Eli's Portrait. I checked both and there's only a minor difference in the two melodies: one has a dip down to a minor 6th interval and the other a Perfect 5th but the arc and shape of the musical phrase is basically the same as is the rhythm and harmony as well. I made the connection immediately.

Thanks a lot! :merci:

Ray

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:17 am

Ray
My guess is the song, "Wave". This bugged me all weekend. Gotta get back to my life now. :bye:

Ray

Post by Ray » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:30 am

CathyCate wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:17 am
Ray
My guess is the song, "Wave". This bugged me all weekend. Gotta get back to my life now. :bye:
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for listening and trying to identify - unfortunately Jobim's famous bossa tune Wave (recorded by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 and many others) is not the tune that is quoted in Assad's Eli's Portrait at least to my ears. If there's a section in the Assad piece where you feel it sounds like Wave just let me know.

Well I thought somebody would post the correct answer by now, oh well... :(

Here's another clue, the song is written by Sergio Mendes and has been recorded by well known vocalists like Sarah Vaughan, Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis, Kathleen Battle, The Singers Unlimited, Barbra Streisand, Carly Simon, Betty Buckley (Grizabella (Memory) from Andrew Lloyd Webber's Original Broadway Cast of Cats) Jane Monheit, Natalie Cole, Helen Merrill, B.J. Thomas (famous for singing Bacharach's Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head), Stacey Kent, guitarist Earl Klugh, saxophonist Lee Konitz and many others! :D So it's not like it's an obscure song at all, it's a latin/bossa-nova standard.

Thanks again, :merci:

Ray

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:38 pm

The Girl from Ipanema?
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:15 am

Big bird wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:38 pm
The Girl from Ipanema?
No sorry Big bird, that's not it, thanks for trying and posting here. :D

guitareleven

Post by guitareleven » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm

In the last minute or so it seems like there is a suggestion of "So Many Stars".

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 pm

guitareleven wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm
In the last minute or so it seems like there is a suggestion of "So Many Stars".
I was thinking So Many Stars as well, but what are the melody notes (and rhythm) that are the same (or almost the same) and where are they in both? :?

Return to “Public Space”