Question about music writing software

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
pogmoor

Re: Question about music writing software

Post by pogmoor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 pm
...Finally, being teamed with Steinberg, there is a longer term goal of having one program that can also function as a midi sequencer and an engraving software. With Dorico, you are investing in this future, and lots of people have complete confidence in a team that in terms of their knowledge of engraving is pretty unbeatable.
I'd agree with that. Providing Steinberg continue to support the development team's work I think Dorico is likely to be the future in professional music engraving. However, to go back to the OP's question, any of these applications, including Musescore, will do a good job for the average user.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Yeah - I will stick with Sibelius for now. It does everything I need, and I have very little interest in graphic scores or anything like that. For tonal composers it is perfectly fine.

Apparently they tested out some of the functionality of Dorico with Ferneyhough, and it if it can cope with that, then it's very impressive.

Sibelius does still have some annoying glitches, though, such as messing up something as simple as triplets in certain cases (I think when they are tied). So far the new development team have not been very responsive, and since Daniel and co left, the improvements have been very minor in the new versions, and plenty of loyal customers are losing their patience.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Just downloaded a free music software package called musescore, version 2.1. I hate to read directions, but I did read just a minimum for this, and seems to do everything that I need it to do. I also read that musescore is similar to UNIX, which the source code is in the public domain. I used it to write the notes from a TAB version of Hallelujah. The problems that I encountered were (1) The time signature is 6/8 and in some measures there not 6 eighth notes, (2) the playback feature sounded very good but obviously the song is incomplete. Any problems I encountered were solved by an internet search, e.g.at first I could not delete a note, but the internet solved this. If I exit the edit mode and place the cursor on the note to be deleted, just hit delete or backspace, and it worked.

I don't plan to compose until I get a lot better at playing. So there will be no composed pieces by me in this lifetime. So not sure what else I will use musescore for, but it seems to be fairly good. Just my $0.02
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 am

I use Lilypond, which is uses the General Public License (GPL). It is very flexible, and can do almost anything that Musescore, Finale and Sibelius can do (I also have version 5.2 of the latter). Lilypond can easily handle guitar notation such as string numbers, fingering, etc. It can handle quite obscure notation if necessary. It is easy to turn tablature on and off. Yes, you have to enter the notes and duration, etc., using text. However, with practice, that becomes quite a quick process. I find the output looks very good without adjustment, but there is a lot of information on how to tweak the look, and to manage clashes when the music is very dense. It is also possible to create libraries of standard notation specific to particular instruments, and macros to enter frequently used commands using abbreviations.

Because Lilypond uses text input, I use the GPL licensed Frescobaldi as a GUI, which prepares a pdf output and displays it in a separate window. Clicking on notes in the pdf window highlights the text note, and vice versa. It also prepares a midi file (if turned on), which can be played back. I use VirtualMIDISynth as the midi playback device (rather than the default windows player)--that way different sound files can be used. RealFont_2.1.sf2 gives a very realistic classical guitar sound.

IMO Lilypond/Frescobaldi is a good option; the programs are frequently updated, and they are free!

Cheers... Richard

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:26 pm

I like Musescore a lot and find it hard to believe it's free. Not had one problem with it yet that wasn't just my incompetence. But I haven't used any other score-writing software. I think the upgrade to v2 was important and it may not have been so good before this.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Duplicate deleted

R.V.S.

Post by R.V.S. » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:18 am

There's also Noteflight, a web-based notation app. it's very easy to use and has more than enough features for classical guitar compositions. I also like the idea of having my compositions saved in the cloud so that I can access them from anywhere and I don't have to worry about losing them to a computer failure.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:31 am

Thanks everyone for these helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am

Doe
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a TAB file to notes with music software ? This would be so helpful and save much time. I have begun to use musescore 2.1 but really don't know if it has this capability.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 am

fast eddie wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:48 am
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a TAB file to notes with music software ?
MuseScore does have the capability to convert tab to notes (as do other score writing applications). The problem is that you then need to edit the output as tab doesn't convey the note durations in inner voices.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

asmodeus

Post by asmodeus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 pm

If you're looking for software specifically for notating Guitar, also have a look at Guitar Pro. It's not as flexible as Finale or Sibelius, but based on my personal experience it's much easier to learn.

Return to “Public Space”