Question about music writing software

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
pogmoor

Re: Question about music writing software

Post by pogmoor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 pm
...Finally, being teamed with Steinberg, there is a longer term goal of having one program that can also function as a midi sequencer and an engraving software. With Dorico, you are investing in this future, and lots of people have complete confidence in a team that in terms of their knowledge of engraving is pretty unbeatable.
I'd agree with that. Providing Steinberg continue to support the development team's work I think Dorico is likely to be the future in professional music engraving. However, to go back to the OP's question, any of these applications, including Musescore, will do a good job for the average user.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Adrian Allan

Re: Question about music writing software

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Yeah - I will stick with Sibelius for now. It does everything I need, and I have very little interest in graphic scores or anything like that. For tonal composers it is perfectly fine.

Apparently they tested out some of the functionality of Dorico with Ferneyhough, and it if it can cope with that, then it's very impressive.

Sibelius does still have some annoying glitches, though, such as messing up something as simple as triplets in certain cases (I think when they are tied). So far the new development team have not been very responsive, and since Daniel and co left, the improvements have been very minor in the new versions, and plenty of loyal customers are losing their patience.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Return to “Public Space”