My Youtube channel

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
rp1117

My Youtube channel

Post by rp1117 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:26 am

Hi, I had a friend record some of my repertoire, mostly Bach and some Romantic and Medieval pieces sprinkled within

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKO8LF ... g/featured

Please feel free to give me constructive criticism :)

Bernhard Heimann

Re: My Youtube channel

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 am

You could choose a better recording environment - the background noise is rather loud.
Speed is not a very good goal before precise rhythm and tone quality are reached.
You could reduce tempo to gain clarity, evenness and precision - play the pieces half as fast (with a metronome) until each tone sounds perfect.
Then start to increase the tempo in small steps. Have you ever listened to John Williams playing the "Romance"?

Bernhard

bert

Post by bert » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 am

Just listened to the Fugue. I agree with Berhard in all aspects. Did you use the camera's own microphone?

The following will not apply to most listeners, but when I see something between BWV990 and BWV1010 then I'm not really interested, because it has been done too often.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am

I'd also agree with Bernhard. The pieces have been played with some fluency but not performed. I like atmospheric sounds sometimes, birds singing etc, but only natural sounds, and not when they're as loud as this compared to the guitar. Just need to move the mic closer. I'd want to record somewhere with more resonance and this makes it easier to slow things down.

Oh boy, it's so much easier to find fault with others than get it right oneself.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

when I see something between BWV990 and BWV1010 then I'm not really interested, because it has been done too often.
David Norton would agree with you.

I don't mind hearing Bach over and over as long as it's played clean and is moving.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am
Oh boy, it's so much easier to find fault with others than get it right oneself.
Ain't that true ...

But since you ask for feedback, yes the recording environment did not work in your favour, acoustically, and the performances were overall short of precision (nobody would ask for perfection and I'm not). If I was producing your video recordings, would have suggested focussing on just one piece and getting a best-you-can take rather doing quite so many, and would look for a place with at the very least, a wall behind you to help focus the sound towards the audio capture, which anyways will always be poor if on the camera. A nice outdoor sound is possible, though personally I don't see the point, but needs far more thought - and of course as player you can't hear how the sound is as it records. In fact, you can't do this whatever the environment, but outside its just much harder. For me at least, also its really uninspiring to play out of doors and I would not feel relaxed and able to focus on making music. To me, in most of them you didn't look relaxed and happy with your playing which may have been part of why there were some aspects of the performance that would really want some improvement, if you want people to enjoy your music making.

Better sound would be had from a separate audio recorder, synchronised later with the video, and the camera's audio muted.

Re the pieces, well firstly you have no medieval piece there, the earliest are renaissance. I wouldn't worry about which Bach they are and which BWV numbers, because we all have to get those well known pieces first, before trying less known repertoire that would intrigue the likes of us 'Campers. But, if we play well known things we really have to be careful to get them right, because few people, knowing or interested in them, will like or benefit from a performance which wants polishing.

So to conclude, please feel encouraged to try some or all the above ideas and those of other commentators, and post more in due course. It may not necessarily sound like it but we really are trying to be positive and encourage you to do better!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm

I listened to the Bach. You have the technique, but the piece speeds up and changes tempo. Keep that consistent and slower. Also, watch the Bream masterclass on this piece. The voices need to be clearly brought in, and each one shaped to perfection.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

rp1117

Post by rp1117 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Wow guys! Thanks so much I didn't expect to hear so many helpful things from you all. It's a big help.

Return to “Public Space”