The wonders of NEW GUITAR DAY!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Nick Cutroneo

The wonders of NEW GUITAR DAY!

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:56 am

Hey everyone - it's been quite some time since I've posted on the forum (especially in the "Public Space" section...). However, I wanted to share with everyone my new guitar! Wednesday I traveled to Alan Chapman's place and picked up my new instrument. In doing so, I decided to Vlog about it, so here's a quick Vlog of the trip (I'm mainly playing, and a bit of talking...but mostly guitar playing).

Youtube

The mic on the iPhone isn't the best, and I'm investing in a better mic that attaches to the phone (for instagram videos/etc...). So the audio representation is much brighter than the actual guitar sound. Here's a video of me playing a short Sor study (Op. 35, No. 1) -- followed by a lesson. This video I used an actual separate mic (the mic I've been using for the past 2 years for all of my classical guitar videos). This recording better represents the sound of the guitar:

Youtube

The guitar is Indian Rosewood back and side with a Cedar Top. And sounds amazing with a ton of power behind it! I was teaching with it the night I got it and had to be conscious of not overpowering my student in the lesson.

EDIT - I always forget how to embed videos on this forum...finally figured it out though!
Last edited by Nick Cutroneo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

powderedtoastman

Re: The wonders of NEW GUITAR DAY!

Post by powderedtoastman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:10 am

Very nice, congrats!

Good choice on Sor Op. 35 No. 1, I think that's a great little piece to give beginner or intermediate players with lots of chances to do subtle things with the phrasing and interpretation. I usually like to pair it up with No. 2 as well.

Actually just today I came up with a fun idea, too. What if you took every pair of quarter notes, and turned it into a triplet/swing feel? You could also do a dotted quarter and an eighth note combo as well. Some people like to do this with scales for warm ups but once a student knows this piece it would be a nice opportunity to apply rhythmic variation to something he or she already knows.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Congratulations on receiving your new guitar! It sounds very nice. (I'm pretty sure I heard it before it went to finishing. ;-) ) I hope you both have many happy hours together making music.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Very nice!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Sweeet! Congrats!

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:41 pm

lagartija wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:14 pm
Congratulations on receiving your new guitar! It sounds very nice. (I'm pretty sure I heard it before it went to finishing. ;-) ) I hope you both have many happy hours together making music.
Thanks, yeah I got to opportunity to "test drive" her a bit before Alan started finishing her. I'll say this, I LOVE the satin finish.

MrF1

Post by MrF1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Congratulations Nick! Enjoyed both videos. Nothing more fun than meeting the new guitar. I always think of the Carly Simon song, "Anticipation". I hope it brings you lots of joy and inspires your creativity.

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:19 am

MrF1 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:49 pm
Congratulations Nick! Enjoyed both videos. Nothing more fun than meeting the new guitar. I always think of the Carly Simon song, "Anticipation". I hope it brings you lots of joy and inspires your creativity.
Thanks! I'm planning on doing a more significant video on the guitar...this guitar definitely is an inspiration on its own.

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 pm

UPDATE! - So I got a new case for the guitar since I cannot use my old case (the new guitar is a OOO-sized body). After a bit of research, I opted for the Visesnut Premier Model Case (which came in a 000-size version). Talking to a few people, I came to realize the paint can easily chip on the Premier Model (in fact the info that Visesnut sent me explained that the finish on the Premier cases is a bit "more delicate" than on their Action Model). So in knowing that, I decided to also get the case cover. What's sad is that the awesome blue color can't be seen easily, but at least I won't scratch up this case like I did with the BAM case I have.

Anyway, I did something a bit different for this video, and I did an unboxing video. Check it out!

Youtube

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 am

Very nice Nick. I really enjoyed that.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 am

fast eddie wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 am
Very nice Nick. I really enjoyed that.
Thanks man! New Guitar Day is awesome. Plus I'm really enjoying my new case too! Hoping to do a Strings Shoot-Out soon...I've been lazy and haven't gotten the strings I'm going to use for the shoot out yet.

Return to “Public Space”