Ipad or galaxy tablet for storing and reading notation

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Rahul

Ipad or galaxy tablet for storing and reading notation

Post by Rahul » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am

Dear friends,

Tried looking for similar post but couldn't find much information and hence creating a new post.

I have been collecting lot of music sheet, buying online and taking prints. I thought its time to organise them digitally as searching through loose sheets is becoming a task.

Is a 9.7 screen size enough to read music or should be have bigger screen size as thst also increases cost significantly.

Which is the best app for reading music sheets and organising them as per composer, style of music or however we want to organise for quicker accessibility.

Which is a good app to scan the documents.

Which is a good pedal to turn page.

Suggestions would appreciated.

Thanking you all.

Rahul

Tim W

Re: Ipad or galaxy tablet for storing and reading notation

Post by Tim W » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:02 pm

I've just started using forScore and an iPad Pro, (the 10" version, not the big one). It seems workable enough, especially since you can crop out the margins/headers and expand the score itself. The software seems very good, but I'm not very happy with the pedal I tried, (the AirTurn PED). It may be that it would work better on a hard surface, but I find shifting pages to require a lot of care. Bigger pedals would help a lot.

I have scanned in scores just using the iPad's camera as well as scanning them in as PDF files from a scanner. Pretty straightforward, esp. using Dropbox to store everything safely. I heard about forScore from David Russell, who was a very enthusiastic user.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 pm

George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Rahul

Post by Rahul » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:10 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 pm
Here are a few previous discussions identified using the Search box:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113553&hilit=tablet
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96743&hilit=score+tablet
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=87196&hilit=ipad+score
Thank you for the links :)

chien buggle

Post by chien buggle » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Try the billipro footswitch for turning pages, it's more reliable and easier to use than the airturn

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 am

I have used forScore for awhile, and it's very well thought out. The more I use it, the more I like it. Some of the features are quite clever, and I'm all digital these days.

For the page turning pedal, I also started with the AirTurn PED. This was a terrible solution as I play in my house, shoeless, on carpet. The force required to turn the pages was just too much. Perhaps it would be great for other instruments, played while standing, etc.

I swapped the PED for the PageFlip Butterfly and have been very happy. Only a slight press with a toe is enough to turn the pages, and it's stable on the floor. I don't accidentally switch pages or have presses missed - it's just the right balance for my situation. It takes a short period of time to get used to the jump/scroll, but not long.

I love the forScore+PageFlip Butterfly solution. All I I take is my old iPad to my lessons, with all of the pieces handily indexed and bookmarked. I can add notes to the scores, highlight things, etc. The in-app metronome remembers the tempo settings for each piece. There's a lot to love in the app.
-mitch

Rahul

Post by Rahul » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:59 am

Feynman wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 am
I have used forScore for awhile, and it's very well thought out. The more I use it, the more I like it. Some of the features are quite clever, and I'm all digital these days.

For the page turning pedal, I also started with the AirTurn PED. This was a terrible solution as I play in my house, shoeless, on carpet. The force required to turn the pages was just too much. Perhaps it would be great for other instruments, played while standing, etc.

I swapped the PED for the PageFlip Butterfly and have been very happy. Only a slight press with a toe is enough to turn the pages, and it's stable on the floor. I don't accidentally switch pages or have presses missed - it's just the right balance for my situation. It takes a short period of time to get used to the jump/scroll, but not long.

I love the forScore+PageFlip Butterfly solution. All I I take is my old iPad to my lessons, with all of the pieces handily indexed and bookmarked. I can add notes to the scores, highlight things, etc. The in-app metronome remembers the tempo settings for each piece. There's a lot to love in the app.
Hi,

Thank you for replying. Does the app forscore let you organise your music sheets into folders and sub folders etc? Does it gave a search option?

Thanking you

Rahul

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:59 am

ForScore does not use folders. It sorts your music based on metadata like composer, title, key etc. You can create sets and add music to them easily. And yes it has search.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Rahul

Post by Rahul » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:20 am

tormodg wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:59 am
ForScore does not use folders. It sorts your music based on metadata like composer, title, key etc. You can create sets and add music to them easily. And yes it has search.
Thank you for the clarification

Regards

Rahul

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:08 am

I don't know about other tablets but I use iPad with ForScore extensively and I find it very functional. One can also combine it wth a bluetooth page changer, and one can use it also in upright mode to see whole pages (iPad Pro is especially cool for that as it has the size of a DIN A4 page).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm

tormodg wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:59 am
ForScore does not use folders, but you can use the genre to separate music easily. For me, I have music organized by solo guitar, guitar duo, flute and guitar, guitar quartet, and holiday music. With each category pieces are listed alphabetically by composer. It's an easy system.

In general I like the iPad ForScore/pedal combination a lot. I use a Mac as my desktop machine, and I keep PDFs of all my scores in Dropbox. ForScore makes it very easy to import scores from Dropbox or other cloud services. A couple of weeks ago, I bought the score to Walton's Five Bagatelles. From opening the envelope containing the score to transferring the full piece to my iPad took about 10 minutes for 16 pages.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:21 am

Christopher Freitag wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm
In general I like the iPad ForScore/pedal combination a lot. I use a Mac as my desktop machine, and I keep PDFs of all my scores in Dropbox. ForScore makes it very easy to import scores from Dropbox or other cloud services. A couple of weeks ago, I bought the score to Walton's Five Bagatelles. From opening the envelope containing the score to transferring the full piece to my iPad took about 10 minutes for 16 pages.
Agree! It's very easy to use, and with a scanner I can scan thing straight into my iPad and forScore.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Rahul

Post by Rahul » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:46 am

Great feedback everyone

Thank you

Rahul Gupta

corius

Post by corius » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm

tormodg wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:21 am
Agree! It's very easy to use, and with a scanner I can scan thing straight into my iPad and forScore.
IOS 11, which is currently available as a Beta, provides a new "Scanner" function in the Notes app that uses the iPad camera. It's very good and will auto detect page size, correct aspect ratio etc. You can also create multi page PDFs with it and can then open the scores directly in forScore.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Rahul wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:12 am
Is a 9.7 screen size enough to read music or should be have bigger screen size as thst also increases cost significantly.
I was wondering the same thing for a while. forScore will crop the pages (I think automatically) to remove the white space, which means that in portrait orientation, a 9.7 inch iPad will display one page of music at a scale of about 90%. If you go for the 10.5 inch, you can display one page at full size. The 12.9 inch is not big enough to display two pages at anything like full size, so there's not much point getting that one unless you want the big screen anyway.

I've found that there's a big difference between having a lot of sheet music and having a lot of sheet music that you play. The iPad / forScore solution obviously does work, but unless you genuinely have lots and lots of pieces on the go at one time, I'm not sure it's any better than paper. I definitely don't think it's any better on a 9.7 inch iPad, which is what I have. I got mine a couple of years ago and it does everything (else) I need just fine. The only point of upgrading would be to move to forScore, and for me it's not worth it. A bigger screen is not better in all respects (they don't fit in the seat pocket of many planes, for example). Also, if you use your iPad for recording / tuning / as a metronome etc., that is probably going to be easier if you are not also using it to display your music

If I was getting a new iPad anyway, I would probably go for the 10.5 inch version and give forScore a try, but if it was me I wouldn't buy an iPad of any size just for that - and definitely not the 9.7 inch.

Return to “Public Space”