Beginning Bossa Nova Resources?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
mike scott

Beginning Bossa Nova Resources?

Post by mike scott » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:53 pm

I am starting into the realm of bossa nova. I did a search here, but didn't find what I was looking for. I have an instructional DVD done by Rick Udler, but am wondering what other resources me be available. Where I live there is no instructor. So I am wondering what other/ or maybe better resources may be available for Brazilian style guitar music. I will most likely just noodle away with the various chords and rhythms-at least for starters.

Thanks, Mike
Thanks, Mike

Play an Alhambra s 1-C, and a few steel strings)

"What me worry!" - quote from the noted philosopher Alfred E. Newman

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Beginning Bossa Nova Resources?

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:33 pm

You should become familiar with the rhythm and the chords. Baden Powell is a good start and he has a lot of scores and at the same time he is coauthor of a few famous bossa nova songs. It does exist a kind of realbook from Almir Chediak in 4 or 5 volumes which does contain most of it, bossa nova, but it is not an CG score, it has the melody rhythm, the chords and the words. There are a few very good arrangements for CG of famous bossa songs and this kind of subject has been treated on the forum viewtopic.php?f=7&t=94333

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:38 pm

mike scott wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:53 pm
I am starting into the realm of bossa nova. I did a search here, but didn't find what I was looking for. I have an instructional DVD done by Rick Udler, but am wondering what other resources me be available. Where I live there is no instructor. So I am wondering what other/ or maybe better resources may be available for Brazilian style guitar music. I will most likely just noodle away with the various chords and rhythms-at least for starters.

Thanks, Mike
The Brazilian Guitar Book by Nelson Faria is excellent and it comes with a CD too. The best thing to do is buy a couple of famous Bossa nova albums and just listen to get a good feel of the rhythm(s). The Stan Getz albums with Astrud & Joao Gilberto and the album Getz did with Luiz Bonfa are a great start as are the Joao Gilberto solo albums and a good number of Antonio Carlos Jobim albums, notably one called Wave. Buy a Fake BookReal Book and learn the chord changes to these essential tunes

Wave
The Girl From Ipanema
Manha De Carnaval (The from Black Orpheus)
One Note Samba
Triste
A Felicidade
The Gentle Rain
Corcovado
Desafinado
How Insensitive (Insensatez)
Dindi

Watch all the videos on YouTube of Joao Gilberto comping and singing these famous tunes at the same time, he's the man who invented the style. There's also a nice video of Jobim accompanying Frank Sinatra which you can learn a lot from.

Classical guitarists play sophisticated and often difficult arrangements of these tunes because they're trying to cram and skillfully fit the melody and bossa accompaniment on one instrument, no easy task.

Before you attempt those kinds of arrangements learn to play the various bossa nova accompaniments first just with block chords. If you sing that's great - I actually enjoy someone singing a nice bossa tune whilst accompanying themselves on guitar as much as an instrumental solo guitar arrangement.

other guitarist/singers on YouTube you can learn from are Rosa Passos, Paulinho Noguiera, Ana Caram, Joyce, Caetano Veloso, Luiz Bonfa, Charlie Byrd and lots of others. Good luck! :)

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 pm

There's a guitar arrangement of So Long Frank Lloyd Wright by Simon and Garfunkle out there somewhere.

Listen to Nouvelle Vague.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 pm
There's a guitar arrangement of So Long Frank Lloyd Wright by Simon and Garfunkle out there somewhere.
ABRSM Time Pieces Bk 2?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

mike scott

Post by mike scott » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can play the rhythm arrangement for Manha de Carnival-not totally fluid but OK. I will take in all those resources. Needless to say I have been listening to a lot of Bossa Nova music as well!

Thanks again
Thanks, Mike

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:29 pm
Andrew Fryer wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 pm
ABRSM Time Pieces Bk 2?
That's probably the one I'm thinking of - it's about grade 5-ish? When I got onto grades 6 and 7 I got rid of my lower level compendia.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:45 am

bossa nova guitar and brazilian rhythms for guitar, both by carlos arana, are excellent.

romero lubambo's DVD bossa nova guitar teaches how today's top professional plays it.

for solo arrangements of bossa tunes, brian hodel's the brazilian masters ranges from easy/intermediate to quite difficult.

brazilian jazz guitar by christiansen and zaradin contains solo arrangements as well as lead sheets and comping studies for a baker's dozen bossa tunes, greatest hits and a few more obscure...

gsp guitar has transcriptions of baden powell and luis bonfa, among others, in their great guitarisats of brazil series.

baden powell's son(s) have put transcriptions of their father's recordings on a dedicated website, free to the world. too difficult to really learn for us mere motals, but fascinaing to follow along with the great improvisor.

howard morgen has some nice arrangements in his books, especially concepts, which will also guide you in making serviceable arrangements of your own, if you want to put forth the effort...

and, as mentioned, do get nelson faria's the brazilian guitar book.

boa sorte!
"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

dropbydrop

Post by dropbydrop » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Have a look to Bert Alink site http://www.knila.nl/index.php

There is a section of latin guitar, most of which with score.

It was my introduction to latin america music for guitar.
don't worry about how long it's going to take you,
just enjoy the journey [by goodtone]
this is the gift [by me]

mike scott

Post by mike scott » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks for all the help. I have some stuff on order.

As a side note, I've been using my Alhambra C1. Should I be looking for something different, or will that get me by for a while?

Thanks again.
Thanks, Mike

rcguitar

Post by rcguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 pm

A bit late here, but search for brazilian guitar lessons/ teacher on google and take a look at what shows up. Good luck.
Learning is the best in life.

Return to “Public Space”