Audition advice?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
redmcq
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Audition advice?

Post by redmcq » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm

I am planning to audition later this year to all the UK Conservatoire's offering Bachelor of Music degree for classical guitar performance.

The pieces I am playing are:
Leo Brouwer - Elogio de la Danza
Bach - BWV 998 prelude
Lennox Berkeley - Sonatina

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on auditioning?

Thanks
Last edited by redmcq on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Cowen
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Re: Audition advise?

Post by Kevin Cowen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:53 pm

That's some advanced pieces you're playing.
Are you self taught?

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Audition advise?

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm

The same advice as any audtion - know the pieces backwards.
Video yourself playing them
Post them on here, maybe (for critical feedback and suggestions)

Be ready for all the questions they will ask you as well - eg. why do you want to do this course? Where do you think it will lead you? Who are your favourite composers and why, etc etc.

PS the noun is "advice", the verb is "advise", as in "I will advise you how to succeed".
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

redmcq
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Audition advise?

Post by redmcq » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm
The same advice as any audtion - know the pieces backwards.
Video yourself playing them
Post them on here, maybe (for critical feedback and suggestions)

Be ready for all the questions they will ask you as well - eg. why do you want to do this course? Where do you think it will lead you? Who are your favourite composers and why, etc etc.

PS the noun is "advice", the verb is "advise", as in "I will advise you how to succeed".
Thank you very much!
Is there a section for posting your own videos of yourself playing for feedback?

redmcq
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Audition advise?

Post by redmcq » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:53 pm
That's some advanced pieces you're playing.
Are you self taught?
Yeah they are indeed! No I have a teacher

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Audition advise?

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:45 pm

redmcq wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm
The same advice as any audtion - know the pieces backwards.
Video yourself playing them
Post them on here, maybe (for critical feedback and suggestions)

Be ready for all the questions they will ask you as well - eg. why do you want to do this course? Where do you think it will lead you? Who are your favourite composers and why, etc etc.

PS the noun is "advice", the verb is "advise", as in "I will advise you how to succeed".
Thank you very much!
Is there a section for posting your own videos of yourself playing for feedback?
There are sections for this in the forum, eg "of performances of Baroque music".

The only problem is that this forum is quite fussy and will not allow pieces to be posted that are still in copyright, so you can't post the Brouwer or the Berkeley, but you can private message people and link to those, I suppose.

The main thing about videoing is this - if it is actually more useful for your own personal learning.

My advice is this: until you can play them almost perfectly in one take with the video running, you are not ready to perform them under pressure. I know this, as I am currently doing the same to prepare for an advanced exam in perfomance. If it means recording them every single day until you can do this, then that is what it will take to succeed.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

redmcq
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Audition advise?

Post by redmcq » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:45 pm
redmcq wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:58 pm
The same advice as any audtion - know the pieces backwards.
Video yourself playing them
Post them on here, maybe (for critical feedback and suggestions)

Be ready for all the questions they will ask you as well - eg. why do you want to do this course? Where do you think it will lead you? Who are your favourite composers and why, etc etc.

PS the noun is "advice", the verb is "advise", as in "I will advise you how to succeed".
Thank you very much!
Is there a section for posting your own videos of yourself playing for feedback?
There are sections for this in the forum, eg "of performances of Baroque music".

The only problem is that this forum is quite fussy and will not allow pieces to be posted that are still in copyright, so you can't post the Brouwer or the Berkeley, but you can private message people and link to those, I suppose.

The main thing about videoing is this - if it is actually more useful for your own personal learning.

My advice is this: until you can play them almost perfectly in one take with the video running, you are not ready to perform them under pressure. I know this, as I am currently doing the same to prepare for an advanced exam in perfomance. If it means recording them every single day until you can do this, then that is what it will take to succeed.
Cheers mate, I'll definitely start taking videos of myself. Haven't been doing it enough really as it adds another element of pressure compared to when just playing to self.

User avatar
Adrian Allan
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 am

Re: Audition advise?

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 pm

redmcq wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:59 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:45 pm
redmcq wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm


Thank you very much!
Is there a section for posting your own videos of yourself playing for feedback?
There are sections for this in the forum, eg "of performances of Baroque music".

The only problem is that this forum is quite fussy and will not allow pieces to be posted that are still in copyright, so you can't post the Brouwer or the Berkeley, but you can private message people and link to those, I suppose.

The main thing about videoing is this - if it is actually more useful for your own personal learning.

My advice is this: until you can play them almost perfectly in one take with the video running, you are not ready to perform them under pressure. I know this, as I am currently doing the same to prepare for an advanced exam in perfomance. If it means recording them every single day until you can do this, then that is what it will take to succeed.
Cheers mate, I'll definitely start taking videos of myself. Haven't been doing it enough really as it adds another element of pressure compared to when just playing to self.
Exactly - that's why it is so useful, as you will be used to performing with the pressure raised!
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

User avatar
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am
Location: Dorchester, Dorset, England

Re: Audition advise?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:45 pm
redmcq wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm
....
Is there a section for posting your own videos of yourself playing for feedback?
There are sections for this in the forum, eg "of performances of Baroque music".
The only problem is that this forum is quite fussy and will not allow pieces to be posted that are still in copyright, so you can't post the Brouwer or the Berkeley, but you can private message people and link to those, I suppose.....
That's very true, though it might still be useful to post the Bach and anything else out of copyright (or allowed by permission having been granted) even if it was nothing to do with the audition pieces. Plus, while we don't post actual links, you could post a mention of your channel and allude to the pieces thereon - I'm fairly sure that's allowed, and a moderator will swiftly correct this if not :chaud:

Re the original question, it might also be worth asking each institution if they have any advice (with a 'c'), (there is probably a department secretary who handles that kind of thing all the time) and one shouldn't feel shy of that kind of enquiry, because it simply shows you are serious about showing yourself in your best light.

One very simple little thing often happens in this kind of situation; plan your string changes well in advance. In particular, in the months before make sure your basses never get so old they no longer squeak. The mistake often happens that people practise (with an 's'!) on increasingly worn out basses and then change to new ones a few days before the big day - and get massively unnerved by the horrible squeaking! So work with your tutor to reduce squeaks and plan to have your instrument sounding at its best without you getting out of sorts - you have enough to think about on the day.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

redmcq
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Audition advice?

Post by redmcq » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks! hadn't really considered, tactically planning string changes but will now !

KBell
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Re: Audition advice?

Post by KBell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 am

Protect your hands and nails!

User avatar
Peter Frary
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 am
Location: honolulu

Re: Audition advice?

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:54 am

Bring a spare set of strings and a nail buffer and/or extra fine sandpaper just in case you need them. Nothing worse than a nail snag or busted string before blastoff.

Whiteagle
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:48 am
Location: Wollongong, Australia

Re: Audition advice?

Post by Whiteagle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:52 am

I don't know anything about auditions. Do they ask you to play a scale? Sight read something?

I assume you will prepared a list of questions they might ask you written down and have well prepared answers you can deliver fluently and confidently.

User avatar
bear
Posts: 3563
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Audition advice?

Post by bear » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am

Between now and then, play some gigs even if it means busking. Be so comfortable with an audience that you forget that they are there.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

KBell
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Re: Audition advice?

Post by KBell » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:56 pm

bear wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:36 am
Between now and then, play some gigs even if it means busking. Be so comfortable with an audience that you forget that they are there.
Yes, to this - even if you have to have friends and family over for a 'recital' in your living room.

you may already do this, but I think taking time to do some score study without your guitar in hand can be extremely helpful. Closely reviewing sections to ensure you are clear on what you are expressing, clarity of phrasing, and voicing can be enhanced with score study in my experience

Return to “Public Space”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adrian Allan, celestemcc, CommonCrawl [Bot], Custard, es335, HomerB, Malcolm Kavalsky, simonm, Yogi Ponappa and 37 guests