tonebase - new site for advanced players

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

tonebase - new site for advanced players

Post by chrispeppler » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 am

I have done a search on this forum and it appears that there are no comments on Tonebase, a fairly new initiative of Yale University. The description given is; 'tonebase, inc. aims to democratize music education by opening access to the world's greatest artists and educators. By providing a platform for the world to engage with the knowledge these legends have collected over their illustrious careers, we hope to inspire the next generation of musicians and bring music education into the 21st century'.
the link is https://tonebase.co/ and from a brief scan of the lessons given, it appears most suitable for Upper Intermediate to Advanced player levels.

StevSmar

Re: tonebase - new site for advanced players

Post by StevSmar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:21 am

Looks interesting, thanks for sharing.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Thank you!!
:merci:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:31 pm

I watched the series on Capricho Arabe and came away with a few tidbits to try out. :-)
The site shows promise, and yes, I would say that the level of the video is intermediate to advanced. My only problem is the slowness of my DSL. :-(
It makes trying to watch streamed videos torture.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm

I know they didn't set out to do this, and I really am not making a thing of it, but in today's world, how did they manage to have every single one of their contributors male?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm
I know they didn't set out to do this, and I really am not making a thing of it, but in today's world, how did they manage to have every single one of their contributors male?
Good catch!

There's actually one female artist so far: https://tonebase.co/artists/SabrinaVlaskalic ...buuuut she doesn't have any videos yet.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Good pickup Stephen. i didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Maybe we could all request some female instructors via that annoying "Suggest a song" popup that keeps appearing.

As far as the website itself is concerned, there are certainly some great players. Most of the repertoire is out of my reach, but still it's fun to watch professionals unpack these tunes.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Being a female lizard, I noticed that right away; only one female artist in their lineup. :-|
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

robinfw

Post by robinfw » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am

Does not look very democratic to me.
No women?
Women make up the best CG players.
Also saw Fisk there. That's a no go for me.
Beware of that word "Democratize".
Just google The word democracy has been hijacked.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:20 pm

robinfw wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am
Does not look very democratic to me.
No women?
Women make up the best CG players.
Also saw Fisk there. That's a no go for me.
Beware of that word "Democratize".
Just google The word democracy has been hijacked.
But even if you don't like a particular player ( and it's all subjective) learning the way not to play something has it's merits. There are a couple there who's style I don't 'appreciate' but I would still consider watching. There are also a few I've never heard so again a chance to learn.

hackedpineapple

Post by hackedpineapple » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:16 pm

It's a quite a fresh new site so I think that we can forgive them for not having a lot of women. I'm certain that they will add more female players as time goes by.

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:14 pm

chrispeppler wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 am
I have done a search on this forum and it appears that there are no comments on Tonebase, a fairly new initiative of Yale University. The description given is; 'tonebase, inc. aims to democratize music education by opening access to the world's greatest artists and educators. By providing a platform for the world to engage with the knowledge these legends have collected over their illustrious careers, we hope to inspire the next generation of musicians and bring music education into the 21st century'.
the link is https://tonebase.co/ and from a brief scan of the lessons given, it appears most suitable for Upper Intermediate to Advanced player levels.
Thanks! Nice resource. .co , the country code the site is hosted in is Colombia. Any reason for that? If it is Yale, shouldn't it be yale.edu? It says it is temporarily free and currently funded by the Yale entrepreneurial institute, suggesting it will not be free in the future. Enjoy, while it's free!

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 pm

chrispeppler wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 am
Hello Christopher.
If you're upper intermediate to advanced you're not going to be hanging around internet forums looking for tips.

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Post by chrispeppler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Hello Christopher.
If you're upper intermediate to advanced you're not going to be hanging around internet forums looking for tips.
I would estimate that I am at the lower end of the Intermediate spectrum but I, as I am sure most other forum members, enjoy interacting with other CG enthusiasts and reading interesting posts across a broad range of topics. I can't speak for the advanced players on the forum, but I would imagine that they enjoy watching lessons by professional performers in order to learn more and expand their range of performance pieces.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm

tormodg wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:47 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Good catch!

There's actually one female artist so far: https://tonebase.co/artists/SabrinaVlaskalic ...buuuut she doesn't have any videos yet.
There are two options here that spring to mind;
Either she's not pretty enough to be seen on video :twisted: :roll:
Or
She IS pretty enough and she is being held back as an 'added value feature' for the pay-to-use site. :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Return to “Public Space”