tonebase - new site for advanced players

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Ray

Re: tonebase - new site for advanced players

Post by Ray » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:34 pm
tormodg wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:47 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:23 pm
I know they didn't set out to do this, and I really am not making a thing of it, but in today's world, how did they manage to have every single one of their contributors male?
Good catch!

There's actually one female artist so far: https://tonebase.co/artists/SabrinaVlaskalic ...buuuut she doesn't have any videos yet.
There are two options here that spring to mind;
Either she's not pretty enough to be seen on video :twisted: :roll:
Or
She IS pretty enough and she is being held back as an 'added value feature' for the pay-to-use site. :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
My oh my I don't know what to say here, because it's so disrespectful to this great young artist, a classical guitarist who is one of the most mesmerizing and musical of recent times, perhaps ever. Sabrina's a guitarist who can play with incredible virtuosity with great power and emotion, sweet delicate tones and everything in between. All you have to do is look at her numerous videos on YouTube to verify this for yourself. Truly her looks are not a factor here, she's a great great player man or woman. If there aren't any videos up of her yet on Tonebase it's because it's a brand new site and they haven't gotten around to it yet or some other technical issue. Most definitely NOT for the petty and immature reasons you've just listed.

Again all you have to do is hear and see her play on YouTube and see why she's going to be featured on this serious new educational classical guitar site and hopefully you'll apologize and retract your post.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:14 pm

It was a joke dude.
See the little smiley whotsits.
Time to get off the high horse.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Ray

Post by Ray » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Guitar-ded wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:14 pm
It was a joke dude.
See the little smiley whotsits.
Time to get off the high horse.
That's what you call a joke? I don't find it funny at all especially at the expense of this great artist. Perhaps you need to know when to joke about something like this - they say there's a bit (or more) of truth to every joke. So even if you say it's a joke there's still a slight diss in there that strikes a bad chord and is frankly untactful and inappropriate here given the serious discussion.

If you had taken a few minutes of your time to look up Sabrina's name and find out a little about her playing I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have made your joke, it would have been meaningless. That's just the way I feel of course, so feel free to ignore me in the future.

P.S. I'm not a "dude" maybe your young friends are but I hope you wouldn't call an elderly man you didn't know a dude.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 am

Guitar-dude:

There aren't any African Americans on the site either. Care to venture a joke in the same vein? No? Then see how your joke is inappropriate? It's not 1960 anymore.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:27 am

I have watched a bunch of the tonebase videos and I find them to be very informative. Controversy aside, it is a great new site to visit! I'm sure as they add new artists that more women will come into the mix. For those who think the world is going to end and that western society is a shameful mess that must be destroyed because of the current dilemma we find ourselves in here: at least I would hope that they get more women players so as to avoid the next dark age in the classical guitar world from Delcampers who are outraged (rightfully, or unrightfully so.. I have no idea what the creators were thinking).

For example: Tariq Harb does a great job in explaining some interpretive parts of Capricho Arabe. Also, William Kanengeiser had a great little section on vibrato.

It's free right now so you might as well take advantage of it (unless you are one of the outraged ones. Perhaps some calm meditation. The world always looks better after a quiet cup of tea)

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 am
Guitar-dude:

There aren't any African Americans on the site either. Care to venture a joke in the same vein? No? Then see how your joke is inappropriate? It's not 1960 anymore.
Inappropriate doesn't seem to be of concern to this poster - his username isn't Guitar-dude but "guitar-ded" a play on or derived from a belittling and insensitive word describing a person with a mental disability. Say no to that word and show your support here:

http://www.r-word.org

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:53 pm

I'd just like to say thanks for the link to a very interesting site!

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:20 pm

When you know how male dominated and even sexist the classical music business can be, I suppose you could play that card against many classical music services. For example, why don't we take look in the mirror and ask ourselves, how many members of this forum are female...

Anyway I look forward to check out the site. There are actually many 'master classes' available out there already, so is this service just trying to commercialize what already exists for free, or does it bring something more to the table??

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Well yes, except that the members of the forum aren't hand-picked by J-F Delcamp, and anyway there is a goodly throng of womenfolk here.

I watched a couple of the videos and found them quite interesting - I'm not sure I'd subscribe but I do think there is room for this kind of thing. I know there are lots of videos already on YT etc but the quality is pretty variable, and there aren't so many we're already swamped.

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 am

Well they ask us about our gender when we sign up so it should be easy to check out if more than 1 in 22 are women as it is on tonebase.co. My guess is that it's sort og the same and therefore you probably can't blame ToneBase alone...

I signed up for free and did find videos with substance other than how to play a particular grace note. Let's hope it develops well :-)
Last edited by Chris on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Intune

Post by Intune » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:20 pm

kirolak wrote:
I'd just like to say thanks for the link to a very interesting site!

I second that.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Ray wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:32 pm
P.S. I'm not a "dude" maybe your young friends are but I hope you wouldn't call an elderly man you didn't know a dude.
Y'know, sometimes you make an off the cuff remark or joke, and it doesn't go down as well as you'd hoped with some of the recipients. Especially those who you don't know and at whom the joke was not intended. Most people have probably done it at some point in their lives.
Plainly this is what happened here. A reasonable person I would say could tell that I wasn't seriously attacking any individual. It seemed obvious that some videos were up and others would be following soon. If anyone disagrees with that, then we'll just have to agree to disagree here.
As far as you not being a dude, well that's down to cultural differences perhaps. In my part of the world, this is used universally as other places use 'mate' or 'guy' or other terms of endearment. So, yes, you are indeed a 'dude', like it or not. Age, race or whatever are no barriers to this.
Embrace it. It's a good thing meant in a friendly manner.
Cipher wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:36 pm
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:00 am
Guitar-dude:

Inappropriate doesn't seem to be of concern to this poster - his username isn't Guitar-dude but "guitar-ded" a play on or derived from a belittling and insensitive word describing a person with a mental disability. Say no to that word and show your support here:

http://www.r-word.org
Jeffrey,
Nice bit of venom in your post there.
Of course, it really only works if I'm white ( I gather that's what you're getting at, if not, then please substitute whatever you had in mind there.)
The thing is, you have no clue if I'm pink, green or polka dotted. Nor I you.
Racism can be subtle, no judgement, just something to consider.

Cipher,
Regarding my user name to which you seem to take such exception - As I've said here in the past it was aimed at my lack of progress on the guitar at the time I registered in 2008.It was a jibe at me by me at that time.
Somewhile ago I thought of having it changed but has been posted by the mods they won't change names unless to your given name so looks like I'm stuck with it. FWIW the name could also describe a physical disability in case you want to accuse me of that too.
'Say no to that word and show your support here:' I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or if you were playing to the gallery, but never mind.

Names picked at random do not always pass the test of time and that's not always the intention of the person who chose them.
For example:
cipher |ˈsīfər| (also cypher)
noun
1 a secret or disguised way of writing; a code: he was writing cryptic notes in a cipher | the information may be given in cipher.
• a thing written in a cipher.
• a key to such a cipher.
2 dated a zero; a figure 0.
• a person or thing of no importance, especially a person who does the bidding of others and seems to have no will of their own.

Anyways, having been out of internet reach over the past few days I thought I should reply here but I think this little side spat has taken up enough of this thread. I'm going to leave this thread alone so any replies here will go unread by me.
Thanks to the OP for the info contained though and sorry for the disruption.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:31 am

"Of course, it really only works if I'm white ( I gather that's what you're getting at, if not, then please substitute whatever you had in mind there.)"

Just to clarify, I meant the Tonebase site. It's true that jokes can go sideways; I've certainly done it myself.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:59 pm

They have a very nice set of four short videos of Nikita Koshkin talking about what he had in mind for Usher Valse.
:-D
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

jamma

Post by jamma » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:16 pm

This looks like a great resource, thanks for sharing!

Return to “Public Space”