Which is the best UK music college/conservatoire for classical guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
redmcq

Which is the best UK music college/conservatoire for classical guitar?

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 am

Which do you guys think is the best uk conservatoire for classical guitar?
Which do you think has best teachers / would present more opportunities...

Does the prestige of a college make any difference, regardless of if you know much about the colleges themselves do you generally think the prestige of a college is important and makes a difference?

(Out of the Royal College of Music, Royal Academy of Music, Trinity Laban Conservatoire, Birmingham Conservetoire, Royal Northern College of Music, Royal Welsh College of Music, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and any others I haven't picked up on.)
Thanks.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Which is the best UK music college/conservatoire for classical guitar?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm

I think most people in the business would say that aside from any other factors, the Royal Academy would overall be considered no. 1.

But its not as simple as that because things like, who the tutors are, whether one would necessarily have access to the best tutors, and other things play a part. For instance, I went to Trinity (long before the Laban Conservatoire stuff) specifically for the tutor, and didn't even audition anywhere else. Folks with connections to particular regions may find it helpful to stay there, for example to save money on accommodation. Other considerations would include opportunities to study or participate in other areas of work, the programme of performances that is available, access to orchestras for concerti, recording facilities, training in teaching (most of us end up there! - and often had no help whatsoever when in education ourselves), or other professional development curricula.

In other words, one needs to take the picture in the round, after all, all these different options exist for good reasons, and not just because not everybody can get into RAM.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

dogmatic

Post by dogmatic » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:19 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm
I think most people in the business would say that aside from any other factors, the Royal Academy would overall be considered no. 1.

But its not as simple as that because things like, who the tutors are, whether one would necessarily have access to the best tutors, and other things play a part. For instance, I went to Trinity (long before the Laban Conservatoire stuff) specifically for the tutor, and didn't even audition anywhere else. Folks with connections to particular regions may find it helpful to stay there, for example to save money on accommodation. Other considerations would include opportunities to study or participate in other areas of work, the programme of performances that is available, access to orchestras for concerti, recording facilities, training in teaching (most of us end up there! - and often had no help whatsoever when in education ourselves), or other professional development curricula.

In other words, one needs to take the picture in the round, after all, all these different options exist for good reasons, and not just because not everybody can get into RAM.
Thanks Stephen , will take all of those things into account.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:25 pm

dogmatic wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 pm
Thanks

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 pm

dogmatic wrote:
I agree totally. Professor Allan Neave runs the harp and guitar department at the RCS: amazing teacher, musician, guitarist, and cellist.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 pm

dogmatic wrote:
Well I suppose your username is dogmatic but might be useful to give some reasons why?

James Lister
Luthier

Post by James Lister » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm
But its not as simple as that because things like, who the tutors are, whether one would necessarily have access to the best tutors, and other things play a part.
I think Stephen makes an excellent point here. I know many of the tutors at the conservatoires you're looking at, and they are all good players, but really I think you want to consider which players/tutors are most likely to inspire you personally. There is a slight risk to this, as there's no guarantee that a particular tutor will stay at a particular conservatoire. I had this issue when I first started studying guitar making - the tutor when I started was Dave Whiteman, and I admired his work very much, but he left after the first term of my first year, and was (eventually) replaced by a steel-string maker who knew little about classical guitars. I ended up going on to study at Newark with Tony Johnson, who I hadn't heard of at the time, but who makes great guitars, and became a great inspiration over the next two years.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:44 pm

I went to the Royal Academy of Music and enjoyed it so much I ended up staying for 7 years! Michael Lewin is the teacher there and is really excellent, he's been there as head of guitar for decades and his list of successful students speak for themselves. Also, you get an hour with Fabio Zanon every term (some of the best lessons I've ever had) and two lessons a year with David Russell, all huge factors in me staying there so long.

I know plenty of students at the college who say the same about Gary Ryan, and the same with Allan Neave up in Scotland. At the end of the day, it's about you and what you take from conservatoire that matters. All the teachers are top notch, and good guitarists come out of every one of the conservatories. The thing that the best ones have in common is that they used their time to practice hard, got on well with their teachers, believed what their teachers were saying and put all of that together to improve as much as possible.

Hope that helps!
www.michaelbutten.co.uk

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Rasqeo wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 pm
dogmatic wrote:
Well I suppose your username is dogmatic but might be useful to give some reasons why?
His location might give a hint...

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:43 pm
Rasqeo wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 pm
dogmatic wrote:
His location might give a hint...
Indeed. Having said that, I've only heard good things said about RCS.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:57 am

Michael Butten wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:44 pm
All the teachers are top notch, and good guitarists come out of every one of the conservatories. The thing that the best ones have in common is that they used their time to practice hard, got on well with their teachers, believed what their teachers were saying and put all of that together to improve as much as possible.
I've never heard anyone say that before (the bit I've italicised) but I can totally see that it makes a difference. I admit I tend to practise the things that I think I need to practise, and on the odd occasion when my teacher makes a suggestion I don't agree with, I just tend to make a token effort. It's hard to put a lot of time and effort into something you don't believe in.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 am

Not heard anybody mention RNCM yet.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 am
The OP.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:44 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am
Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:41 am
The OP.
Sorry, I meant as a recommendation
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Return to “Public Space”