Bad lacquer neck job, or just nitpicking?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
steka_jack

Bad lacquer neck job, or just nitpicking?

Post by steka_jack » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Dear luthiers of the world,
i have just bought a new Kremona Fiesta F65cw-sb, which wasn't my first choice, hell not even one of my choices, but i just loved it when i played it in the store. Anyways i have noticed, what i can only suspect is cracked lacquer on the edges of the neck. it seems like just dirty of even scratched wood, but on closer inspection, and nail scratch test, it seems to come off easily and reveals either a bad finish or cracks (see pitcures). since this is my first expensive instrument and handmade, i don't really know what to do seeing as it is a brand new instrument under warranty, and I'm not sure if should return it and ask for a new one (this one is so playable and sounds perfect, no buzzing etc.). I would appreciate your opinions and advices.
Cheers!
Deniz
P.S. the pictures are to large to upload so i dropped google drive links. Its not spam or viruses or whatever, so dont worry 'bout that!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_J2Z ... TdiVjF6SXc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_J2Z ... VVLMy12OGs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_J2Z ... Vh5V0hNTEU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_J2Z ... EVVMGxpOVE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_J2Z ... U85dTk2MHc

beanctr

Re: Bad lacquer neck job, or just nitpicking?

Post by beanctr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 pm

I guess you are talking about the finish at the top of the side of the fingerboard? If that's the case is should smooth down with wear. I think its probably alright. You may not like the replacement as much. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

steka_jack

Post by steka_jack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:56 am

beanctr wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 pm
I guess you are talking about the finish at the top of the side of the fingerboard? If that's the case is should smooth down with wear. I think its probably alright. You may not like the replacement as much. R
yes thats what i was talking about, i was concerned that its cracking or starting to peel off. Why would it look like this thou?
Anyway thanks for the advice :)
Deniz

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 am

I didn't look at the pictures as I can't access google drives so I can't give any opinion on hat aspect.

However, you said:
steka_jack wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:56 pm
... but i just loved it when i played it in the store...
which suggests to me that you should keep the guitar until you hear another guitar that you like better. You could always ask the store if they could improve it a bit for you.

steka_jack

Post by steka_jack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 am

simonm wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 am
I didn't look at the pictures as I can't access google drives so I can't give any opinion on hat aspect.

However, you said:
steka_jack wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:56 pm
... but i just loved it when i played it in the store...
which suggests to me that you should keep the guitar until you hear another guitar that you like better. You could always ask the store if they could improve it a bit for you.
Oh so does this help? :)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am

Its such a small detail that I wouldn't worry about it except that every time you play, you will be reminded that its there. If it was mine I would get some superfine wet and dry paper, 600, 800, 1200 and 1500 and may be 2000 and tape off the rest of the neck and very carefully sand it back to grade back to bare ebony. Use a sanding block and not your fingers.
If I lived close to the shop, I think I would go and mention it, but otherwise I think I would take care of it myself. It's more a question of which is going to create the minimum effort and difficulty. Its very nice to find a guitar which you like so much and sometime difficult to replace.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

steka_jack

Post by steka_jack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:29 am

OldPotter wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am
Its such a small detail that I wouldn't worry about it except that every time you play, you will be reminded that its there. If it was mine I would get some superfine wet and dry paper, 600, 800, 1200 and 1500 and may be 2000 and tape off the rest of the neck and very carefully sand it back to grade back to bare ebony. Use a sanding block and not your fingers.
If I lived close to the shop, I think I would go and mention it, but otherwise I think I would take care of it myself. It's more a question of which is going to create the minimum effort and difficulty. Its very nice to find a guitar which you like so much and sometime difficult to replace.
Thanks for the insight, this is infact what I was hoping for, since this one is acoustically great. I just hate how you know, i don't wanna feel "cheated" by a seller, and you never really know how did they treat the instrument (this one is made in 2015, so i think inproper handling would essentally leave one with buying a used instrument for the price of a new one, if you don't know what to look for). Especially if you're not aware of what's ok or what's not, like me. So at the end I just judge the feel and sound, and hope that the rest is fine. But i guess this one is fine :)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:22 pm

So at the end I just judge the feel and sound
To me (just my own opinion) this is the important thing, its very hard to actually do it. I don't think you should feel cheated by the seller, perhaps he could have given a discount or repaired it.... It's a minor problem from the maker, which could be sorted out.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:02 pm

It's fine and typical for guitars where the maker decided to finish the ebony up to the edge / chamber. More noticeable with the chamfer. I am a fan of only finishing the part of the neck ex-ebony, and using steel wool to take the ebony to a matte finish partially for this reason. Enjoy it for the reasons you bought it.
物の哀れ

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:43 pm

steka_jack wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 am
Oh so does this help? :)
Thanks.

Wouldn't bother me much. If it did I might just get some fine steel wool (000 or 0000) and tidy it up a bit or do as Oldpotter suggests but that seems like a lot of work. What I notice is that the fret ends are actually quite nicely done for a guitar in its price range.

steka_jack

Post by steka_jack » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:13 pm

many thanks! this knowledge allows me to chill and enjoy it fully :)

Return to “Public Space”