Played first song with some expression

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Albert

Played first song with some expression

Post by Albert » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 pm

Well, it wasn't much (simple notes) and it wasn't very good, but I did play it with some expression. Not a lot of expression but I moved off of flatline :). This is something I've never done before and something I couldn't have done a month ago. I'm sure most of you here had this experience a long time ago, but it is pretty enjoyable. :chitarrista:

Do you remember the first time you played something with some emotion and maybe a little personal touch? What was that like for you?

lagartija

Re: Played first song with some expression

Post by lagartija » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 am

Good for you, Albert! :applauso:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Albert

Post by Albert » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:46 am

Not boasting btw. Nothing to boast about 😊. Just sharing the experience.

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:24 am

There is always the question about how much 'expression' is allowed? I think it's like spices is a meal, a pinch of salt is good but too much salt makes your meal uneatable. But using 'expression' means focusing not only on the correctness of a piece but also on the sound quality of each note, and this is a good thing imho.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:55 am

I know what you mean. Suddenly the plodding notes have turned into music, and when that first starts happening it is exciting. Or so I'm told. :)

dory

Post by dory » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:17 am

It is really really fun to suddenly realize you have passed a new milestone. Congratulations!
Dory

Albert

Post by Albert » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 am

Also raises my admiration for those play really well. Lots of hard work and patience. Very commendable.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 am

On reflection this seems an important issue. As a learner it would be important to play pieces that are easy enough to allow some expression and the practice of playing musically, and not always to be fighting with pieces beyond reach. It's a mistake I made for a long time as an adult learner in a hurry.

MurrayK

Post by MurrayK » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:50 am

Good on Albert and keep enjoying yourself.

Music is like that, sometimes you just it right and it sings. Sadly not as often as we'd like :(
Regards
Murray

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:15 am

Hmm. Do I remember the first time I played a guitar piece with expression? Yes, yes I do. I was my first lesson.

My teacher is FAMOUS for insisting on dynamics and expression EVEN if you are barely able to play the piece at all. So lesson 1, we had some little ditty in Parkening's Book 1 and he was making me outline the voices and then put in the dynamics. You aren't ALLOWED to play without expression for this guy. It's music day one, notes are less important than the overall effect. He'll accept a wrong note in performance but if you fail to do significant dynamics showing a thought behind the interpretation, that gets the criticism. Amazing.

Return to “Public Space”