OMG My new Antonio Raya Pardo has arrived!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Nikos_Greek

OMG My new Antonio Raya Pardo has arrived!

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 pm

OMG My new Antonio Raya Pardo SP/IR has arrived!

And it is unbelievable. Have played for something like 1, 5 hours and been spellbound. Perfect playability, everything is made so easy when I play her. Relatively low action, as I had ordered it, but not too low. Great looks and I can see her potential as far as tone and sound is concerned although she has had a long journey from Granada, changed from dry, hot climate to cool and dump, and being spruce, quite tight still. Everything is so well balanced on her, I am so happy to own such a unique instrument which I may not deserve, as far as my playing skills go. But a good instrument gives you the extra initiative to practice more and improve.
It would be preposterous for a novice like me to judge the craftsmanship of such a renowned master as Mr Raya. But as far as professionalism is concerned my whole experience is absolutely positive. Mr Raya has patiently answered my questions and delivered the guitar in time and excellent condition to me. I won’t mention the price here, but it should be one of the best value for money purchases in the classical guitar market. A well known Germany-based music house offers one of Mr Raya’s guitars at a 50% higher price, so the 6 months were worth waiting.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: OMG My new Antonio Raya Pardo has arrived!

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:08 pm

With a reception like that, pictures and sound clips might be in order!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 pm

Congratulations on your new instrument. May it give you many years of pleasure as you grow together.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Hooray for a new romance!
Steve

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:37 am

I owned a Raya Pardo for a brief time, a really excellent instrument. One of those that I regret selling, but "it made sense to sell it at the time".
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Congratulations! I have a Raya Pardo flamenco... great guitar!

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:49 am

David Norton wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:37 am
I owned a Raya Pardo for a brief time, a really excellent instrument. One of those that I regret selling, but "it made sense to sell it at the time".
As I recall, you complained that the guitar was being "too loud". :wink:

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Bacsidoan: Good memory. It was spruce&Braz, and like playing a baby grand piano. A colleague borrowed it for a weekend and said the same thing, he couldn't play it longer than 20 minutes before going back to the comparably lesser output of his Kevin Aram. I sold it to a Delcamp person, not sure if he is still an active member or not.

Now that I am in a new house and have somewhat larger music room space, maybe it wouldn't be the same issue. I'm in no great hurry to explore that.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Sorry guys, I have tried to upload some Pictures but my computer refuses to comply. I will try again later. As far as loudness is concerned, the guitar is loud, but not excessively so. Crystallike trebles, as expected from a spruce guitar, extremely easy to play, absolutely even. The body is slightly smaller than a Madrid guitar, but one can get used to it in a while.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:46 pm

At last I managed this huge technological leap, namely to upload some photos of the guitar. I am sorry for the amatourish quality, though! :P

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Congrats on your new guitar.
What type of bracing system is used?
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

ivan

Post by ivan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Last year, here in my shop i have a guitar made by Raya Pardo's son - Antonio Raya Ferrer (spruce & Braz)
To be honest, it it not good at all. The power is too weak and quiet, dead sounding 3rd string, short sustain especially on the high register. It is way too quiet, almost unacceptable. I invite some guitarist incl. some potential buyer and all of them seems very disappointed with this guitar.
On the other day, i have tried & observed another 2 guitars from same maker, surprisingly 1 of them is good (spruce - Indian).

But i'm sure this is just a special case. I'm def. sure Raya Pardo build a much better guitars. He has much more experience than his son.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am

The only information we have about Antonio's bracing system is that he worked at some point with Bouchet, so we should suppose he gat influenced by him somehow. In John Ray`s book The Granada school of guitar makers no information is given in this regard. But whatever the system, Antonio has reached a level of mastery almost out of this world. I really relish every moment I play on his guitar. I am sorry I can`t upload any photos yet. The system does not support anything bigger than 320Kb. Any ideas?

albert-canuck

Post by albert-canuck » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Congratulations on your new guitar, it must sound amazing.

For pictures I have used imgur as a picture hosting site. I used to use photobucket but it doesn't work for me anymore. As an example here is a picture of my guitars on my diy guitar stand that I made recently. I uploaded to my imgur account, clicked on the pic and then right clicked on the image. I selected copy image location and then pasted it into the insert image link in the editor here.

1979 Ramirez 1a 10 String
1992 Paulino Berbabe M50
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II (first guitar)

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:51 am
............. I am sorry I can`t upload any photos yet. The system does not support anything bigger than 320Kb. Any ideas?
You need to re-size the photo so it is smaller than 320 kb before upload! Google "photo resizer" and find one that you like.

Return to “Public Space”