Need some etudes or studies to get better at guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
jackhuy

Need some etudes or studies to get better at guitar

Post by jackhuy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Can anybody recommend me any good etudes or studies set? I'm a 1-year experience amateur guitarist and my best pieces are Maria Luisa by Sagreras and 1st movement from 1st sonatina Op.1 by Carcassi.

Bernhard Heimann

Re: Need some etudes or studies to get better at guitar

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 pm

If you play Maria Luisa by Sagreras, why don't you use the composer's "Lecciones para Guitarra", a set of six volumes
of good music to practice many technical abilities from beginner to concert artist? They are available here:
http://www.guitarraclasicadelcamp.com/p ... reras.html
Bernhard

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Sor Op. 60 and Op. 44 are very good. They start very simple, but even with the simplest ones there are many small details you can learn from practicing these pieces. They start to get pretty difficult in their latter halves!

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Would you prefer studies or etudes?

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:48 pm

dtoh wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:26 pm
He's winding you up - the two words mean exactly the same thing.

Seriously though, I'd suggest you address some of the help and advice that forum members have offered on other threads of yours.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:48 pm
dtoh wrote:
He's winding you up - the two words mean exactly the same thing.
Sorry pet peeve :D People who order shrimp scampi or pesto sauce also drive me nuts.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:29 am

Hey Jack,
Do a Google on the Delcamp site for a thread entitled Let's learn Sor OP 60 together. You may want to get Sor's Complete Studies book. I bought the Tecla 101 edition several months ago, off of e - b a y for 20 dollars, as it was used.

I think being able to play Maria Luisa and Carcassi's Sonatine OP 1 is a great start. If you are able to execute these pieces well, I wouldn't call you a beginner, no sir. My wife is what I would call a total beginner, as she is still learning chord shapes. I wouldn't worry too much about what level you are at, as there is always going to someone who plays better, or at a higher level, than you or I, or anyone for that matter.

I have only been playing classical guitar for almost 2 years, but I have played other kinds of guitars since 1984. The highest level piece that I can play is Bach's Bouree in E minor, and that is supposed to be a grade 5 piece. This is what I've been able to do on my own, without a teacher. But, supposing I could go back in time, to when I was your age, I would definitely find a good teacher. If you have questions regarding certain pieces, you could check the Delcamp lessons to see if there are any of them under certain levels in the forum's lessons.

You might want to get a book of Aguado studies too. Also, 39 progressive solos for guitar, by Ben Bolt, is a good book full of studies and pieces that starts with the easiest pieces at the front of the book, and progresses with the more difficult pieces at the end of the book. It comes with a CD, so you can hear how what you are hearing, corresponds with what's in the notation and tab.

Well, good luck in your endeavors, and see you around the Forum.
Scott in Oregon

jackhuy

Post by jackhuy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:12 am

dtoh wrote:
I would prefer something like etudes, like Carcassi op 60

HrothgarZachachaeus

Post by HrothgarZachachaeus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:39 pm

For a more modern approach, try Gerald Garcia's 20 Etudes Esquisses, and Brouwer's 20 Estudios Sencillos. Or if you can find someone else who has written 20 "Simple Studies" you could go for the threefold-trilingual-redundancy-trifecta!

Seriously though, Garcia and even more so Brouwer are awesome and essential if you want to play guitar music written in the later part of the 20th century and beyond. They use a broader and, in my opinion, more interesting range of techniques and tonality than classical composers such as Sor and Aguado. (No disrespect intended to them.)

Good luck, have fun!
"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
-David St. Hubbins

Alvisa

Post by Alvisa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Carlevaro Microstudies are a good workout if you like edgy music. They reinforce the triumvirate of knowing and bringing out the line / melody, RH planting and leaving you LH finger in place until it is needed elsewhere.
Giussani 2014
Morison 1999

Guido

Post by Guido » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:50 pm

I also think the Carcassi op. 60 studies are great, not sure it's the right difficulty, but you can always slow down and speed up later.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:40 pm

I think you would find Scott Tennant's method "Pumping nylon" helpful.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 am

As mentioned before I think the Sagreras books are fantastic. Also, when I was first learning in school my teacher had me work on Ponce's Preludes

hrievers

Post by hrievers » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:54 am

jackhuy wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:11 pm
Can anybody recommend me any good etudes or studies set? I'm a 1-year experience amateur guitarist and my best pieces are Maria Luisa by Sagreras and 1st movement from 1st sonatina Op.1 by Carcassi.
I use Carcassi Op. 60 very often when teaching and would recommend it. Just don't worry too much about speed. Focus on accuracy and sound.

On a different note: congrats on playing these two pieces after only one year!
Henrique Rievers

Return to “Public Space”