RIP Phillip Houghton

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
pogmoor

RIP Phillip Houghton

Post by pogmoor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm

At the Oxford Guitar Society meeting today our patron, Ray Burley, told us that the Australian guitarist and composer Phillip Houghton had died about a week ago. An online search confirmed that had died on 30th Sept and turned up this tribute from the guitarist Daniel Nistico:
As a composer Phillip is self taught and his compositions reflect the influence of many styles: classical, jazz, rock, ambient and world music. His early influences include the music of Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Gryphon, Gong, Miles Davis, Satie, Debussy, Ravel, Riley, Crumb and Eno, while his work continues to reflect a strong interest in art, mythology and the environment.

Houghton's guitar music has been performed and recorded by leading musicians, including John Williams, Carlos Bonell, John Mills, Nicholas Goluses, Timothy Kain, Guitar Trek, Karin Schaupp, Slava Grigoryan, Gareth Koch, Tonie Field, Peter Constant and Marion Schaap (ZOO DUO). Some 20 of his guitar solos, published by Moonstone Music, are on the national syllabus (AMEB) and he is also represented in the new Benjamin Verdery Guitar Series for Frederick Harris Publishers.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Paul Janssen

Re: RIP Phillip Houghton

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:39 am

That's very, very sad news indeed. As per the tribute above, many of Phillip's compositions are listed on the AMEB syllabus and so his works are quite familiar to us Aussies. His composition, "Stele" (in four parts) is, in my view, one of the very great examples of contemporary composition for guitar. I am particular fond of "God of the Northern Forest" and "Kinkachoo I Love You" which I first heard on Karin Schaupp's Album Evocation and which seem to work so well when played one after the other.

RIP Phillip Houghton. You will be sorely missed.

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:47 pm

That is very sad news. I really enjoy playing Houghton's pieces. I'm currently working on a program from his "6 Short Solos" collection. Their strong visual imagery is always inspiring. He will indeed be missed.
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:47 am

So sorry to hear this. I played his piece The Sorrow...of the Lady of the Wood for AMEB Grade 3. Very evocative piece.

Does anyone know the cause of death? It certainly wasn't old age.

Malcolm
When I was ten, I thought my parents knew everything. When I became twenty, I was convinced they knew nothing. Then, at thirty, I realized I was right when I was ten.

Mark Twain

James

Post by James » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 am

Such sad news! I have never met Phillip, but i feel a close connection with him as i have been playing his pieces pretty well since i first started classical guitar some 12 years ago. I have a special affinity with Kinchakoo for many reasons. Currently a big project for me is to learn God of the Northern Forest.
Vale Phillip Houghton. He will be missed by so many!

James.

tree-hugger

Post by tree-hugger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:46 am

I only just found out about this today, via Samantha Muir posting a you tube video in memory of Philip Houghton. It is very sad, and a great loss for guitatrists as he wrote quite original works. The recording of his four part work Stele on AlexandevTsiboulski's CD Australian Guitar Music is one of my favourites to listen to. Like others I was introduced to his works through the AMEB syllabus. Maybe it is time to pull out his sheet music again.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 pm

An interesting aside to my post above. I happen to discuss Phillip's passing with my son's guitar teacher last Thursday. She mentioned to me that Phillip actually grew up on the street next to the street where her music studio is now located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Talk about a small world!! She equally shared sadness in his passing but lamented on the fact that Phillip Houghton left us with an enduring legacy through his music.

David

Post by David » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:07 pm

The Classical Guitar Society of Victoria is staging a concert to celebrate the life and music of Phillip Houghton. The details are here.

Vale Phillip Houghton.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

wingarratta

Post by wingarratta » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:33 pm

There's a beautiful tribute to Phil written by Aleksandr Tsiboulski on the Australian Music Centre website:
http://www.australianmusiccentre.com.au ... -1954-2017
"When I meet people who are passionate about the guitar to the exclusion of every other kind of music, it irritates me profoundly" - J. Bream

Return to “Public Space”