I think i'm going too fast

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
jackhuy

I think i'm going too fast

Post by jackhuy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am

I've just started practising Brouwer 20 estudios sencillios. Today I've already finished the first one easily, and going to practise the no.2, which somehow looks easy for me. Is it weird that it only take me like nearly 1 day to practise the 1st one? And how long does it take to finish all 20 etudes?

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: I think i'm going too fast

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:07 am

Perhaps you're talented?

bear

Post by bear » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:37 am

Record yourself. If it's good, move on. If not, then practice some more.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am

There is more to a lot of those studies than meets the eye. I second what Bear says but I think you should also find a professional recording of them and compare the two.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm

A couple of things you might want to ask yourself before you decide you're ready to move on to No 2:

1. What tempo are you playing it at? On my music the Tempo is marked as Movido with a tempo guide of around Crotchet = 132. That is quite fast considering the piece is written in quavers

2. Are you able to bring out the Melody in the bass line without letting the accompaniment overpower the melody in the bass?

3. Are you achieving strong contrasting dynamics between the various section of the piece? For example the first phrase is marked as mf whilst the second phrase is pp - that's a significant dynamic contrast!!!

My feeling is that this study is all about contrasting dynamics whilst bringing out the melody in the bass line. The speed of the piece is secondary and is likely to come fairly easily once you have achieved the other aspects of the piece.

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:45 pm

If you have to ask us, you are probably going too fast.

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am
There is more to a lot of those studies than meets the eye. I second what Bear says but I think you should also find a professional recording of them and compare the two.
I agree-- part of the challenges of the "Estudios Sencillos" is making them sound "musical", rather than simply playing them through at speed. Also, keep in mind that they get more difficult as you go (if I remember).

Best of luck,

Mark

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:44 pm

"Simple" does not mean "Easy". :-D

Others have pointed out some of the things the first study is trying to teach you. Each of these studies has its own challenges both musically and with regard to technique. If your right hand balance was good to start with, you might not find that part of estudio I so challenging. As was pointed out, part of that right hand control is bringing out the melody, and observing the dynamics and other markings noted on the score.

My first teacher was kind of crazy...he gave me the first ten in order. One per week. That was just to learn the notes, for the most part. That did not mean I "mastered" them and could play them flawlessly. It only meant I could get through them. I played those ten studies every day for three years. As time went on, I understood more about what each study was teaching.
In no way would I recommend that you follow that schedule of one per week. I think he asked me for one per week to see if I could do it. :roll:

Sure. I could do it. That doesn't mean it was the most efficient use of time or the most useful progression pedagogically.

Other teachers have mentioned that doing them in order is not what they would do if they were starting a beginner on them. Sorry I can't remember at this point what that order would be, but some of the teachers here might chime in with their opinions on that.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Even though they are branded as studies, you might try performing the "completed" ones for someone. Once you are out of the practice room weak sections, if any, may become apparent. Ditto for recording.
I am using "completed" in a very loose sense. When studies are beneficial, you may find yourself reviewing them again and again. With Brouwer, I do this often and much to my delight.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:04 pm

jackhuy wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 am
I've just started practising Brouwer 20 estudios sencillios. Today I've already finished the first one easily, and going to practise the no.2, which somehow looks easy for me. Is it weird that it only take me like nearly 1 day to practise the 1st one? And how long does it take to finish all 20 etudes?
You know it really would help if you managed to record something, like the Brouwer, if only on a phone or something...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

jackhuy

Post by jackhuy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:36 am

Should i practice one etude or two etudes a week? That seems to work for me, i guess

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:29 pm

jackhuy wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:36 am
Should i practice one etude or two etudes a week? That seems to work for me, i guess
Whatever works for you. I skip around between a lot of different study pieces, not expecting to perfect them in a day or a week. Sometimes if one is a little difficult I let it go for a while and play something else, and then when I get back to it I may find it a lot less difficult than I thought it was before.

The important points are that you practice in a mindful and patient way, and that you try to think a little bit about what concepts you are working on with each one.

Happy practicing!

Return to “Public Space”