NTD - New Theorbo Day!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
powderedtoastman

Re: NTD - New Theorbo Day!

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:27 am

Congrats, Rob! It sounds really nice, I'll be keeping an eye on your channel to see if you post some music with it.
I hope you have access to a nice van if you ever plan to perform with it publicly!

James

Post by James » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:15 am

Thanks so much, Rob. The explanation prior to playing was terrific.
I loved your playing. For me lute music tend to assist in the evaporation of stress!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:58 am

Stress? just think of the poor soundboard given the number of strings and the string length. They are a beast of an instrument but they sound lovely IMO. The Rob/theorbo combination certainly sounds impressive. Look forward to hearing more pieces played on it.
Historicalguitars.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:10 am

Well, thanks for all the nice comments, and I'm glad we got the video sorted.

The instrument is surprisingly easy to play. It is a very small theorbo, with a fretboard string length of 69.3cm - big Italian theorbos can reach the high 90s. The French came up with a small theorbo of around the mid 70s for the short strings, so this one is smaller than that. Castaldi, one of the important theorbo composers, invented a tiorbino, with a short-string length of only 50cms, tuned an octave higher than normal. But Castaldi is also pictured playing one about the same length as mine.

As for strings, plain gut sounds best on the huge Italian theorbos, but not so great with the shorter lengths. At the moment mine has Kurshner wound basses, similar to classical guitar basses, but they are very old, and have therefore lost some of their sparkle. This might be the best solution - old wound strings. As they are not fretted, they can last for years. I'll admit I'm a little unsure how to string it, but at the moment it sounds good. The first four strings are nylon, and feel too thick, especially when doing slurs and trills, so I might try gut or nylgut there.

Anyway, it's a bit of an exploration for me, and great fun to play. There is a lot of repertoire, with the main names being Picinnini, Kapsberger, Castaldi, and Robert de Visée, who wrote many beautiful suites for it. On top of all that, contemporary composer, Gilbert Isbin, has already started writing new music for me. So, this is not a one-off video. There will be more to come.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:09 am

Very nice instrument ! :chitarrista: and beautiful sound :casque:

Is it your birthday present or any other occasion? a little early for Christmas.

Congratulations ,

Cheers :bye:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am

And late for my birthday. No, it's something I've been wanting to do for a while. I recently sold an archtop jazz guitar, so had the money lying idle - for once! And this came up at a good price. Glad you like it, Isabelle.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 am

Abso(lute)ly Lovely - What an instrument. Those bass strings sound soo deep. I'm looking forward to hearing more from your new theorbo.

If all else fails, you could go fishing with it!

Loved it.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:45 am

Cheers, Cef. I'll certainly be recording more.

Norbert

Post by Norbert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 am

I really enjoyed your video, Rob - nice playing and great explanation, too.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 am

Cheers, Norbet. Appreciated.

Return to “Public Space”