Fiddle tunes for Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Sandaun

Fiddle tunes for Classical Guitar

Post by Sandaun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:24 am

Has anyone ever transcribed or recomposed any fiddle tunes for classical guitar? (By "recomposed" I mean adding a bass counterpoint to it, etc.)

At the moment I'm trying to get my head around fiddle tunes on my violin aka fiddle because I've been asked to be the fiddler in a bluegrass band a friend is hoping to start up soon. And I was thinking I'd probably learn them a lot quicker if I learnt them on both instruments.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Fiddle tunes for Classical Guitar

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 am

David Russell's set of Scots tunes include several fiddle tunes.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

JohnH*

Post by JohnH* » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm

I'm surprised that the moderators haven't dumped your post for including "fiddle" and "classical guitar" in the same sentence. Then you went and added "bluegrass." That's heresy!
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
1991 Yairi CY140 CSA Rosewood/Cedar
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 pm

I’ve given a few thoughts to the idea of doing some arrangements of fiddle tunes for fingerstyle guitar, not necessarily classical, but never taken action.

The traditional accompaniment to BG music, at least on the guitar, is the “boon-chuck”, i.e., 1-5 on the bass on the odd beats with the chord on the even beats. For solo fingerstyle guitar this is often rendered as some form on alternating bass, so you could go that way if you’re looking to stay on the traditional side. Otherwise your pretty free to go how you choose, depending on both your playing as well as composing skills.

On a side note: so many fiddle tunes are in the AABB forms, similar to many movements from Baroque suites. I often wondered if fiddlers back in the 18th century were influenced by their violinist cousins.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm

WilliamSchart wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 pm
On a side note: so many fiddle tunes are in the AABB forms, similar to many movements from Baroque suites. I often wondered if fiddlers back in the 18th century were influenced by their violinist cousins.
Or vice versa?
Louis Panormo (1838)

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm

JohnH* wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm
I'm surprised that the moderators haven't dumped your post for including "fiddle" and "classical guitar" in the same sentence. Then you went and added "bluegrass." That's heresy!
Actually, this moderator is totally on board with the OP. But I'm well aware that my musical taste is... suspect... :D
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 pm

If you want to go really historic you find lute versions of tunes that sound like the fiddle tunes from a century or two later, but with (rudimentary) harmony. Check the scottish lute manuscripts (though some tunes in there are less folky/fiddle style and more imports from european lute repertoire).
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:07 pm

double
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 pm

sxedio wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 pm
If you want to go really historic you find lute versions of tunes that sound like the fiddle tunes from a century or two later, but with (rudimentary) harmony. Check the scottish lute manuscripts (though some tunes in there are less folky/fiddle style and more imports from european lute repertoire).
Yes, Rob MacKillop has produced recordings and editions of those.
Louis Panormo (1838)

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:20 am

Ashokan Farewell by Jay Ungar. The arrangement by John Lehmann-Haupt (drop D tuning) is not too difficult to play.

Karen

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 am

Mel Bay’s Complete Book of Fiddle Tunes for Acoustic Guitar, by Bill Pilburn.
I bought the book at Chapters a number of years ago, found finger picking on a steel string too hard on my tender little fingers and gave up. Bought a nylon string last year with the intention of getting good enough to play some of these pieces, then got sidelined into Classical lessons. Now I’m hooked on Classical guitar but still hope to be able to play these pieces someday. (I haven’t finished Book one of Shearer yet cuz I am painfully slow at learning to play). It comes with music and Tab. Some of the songs are also on a CD - I don’t remember if I purchased them with the book or separately. The CD is worth listening to in its own right if you like this kind of music.
I sure hope finger picking style isn’t too far from how I am learning to play as this book is what motivated me to pick up the guitar again. (I can hear the shudders on the Forum now, but hey, we are all different.)

JohnH*

Post by JohnH* » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:14 am

oski79 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm
JohnH* wrote:
Actually, this moderator is totally on board with the OP. But I'm well aware that my musical taste is... suspect... :D
I hope you at least suspected that my statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek. Some people take themselves soooo seriously! :casque:
JohnH*
2013 Anders Sterner BRW/Spruce
1991 Yairi CY140 CSA Rosewood/Cedar
"Some places remain unknown because no one has ventured forth. Others remain so because no one has ever come back."

razz

Post by razz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am

I don't know of any arrangements of Bluegrass fiddle tunes for classical or finger style guitar, but I like your idea. Please let me know if you find or write an arrangement for "Devil's Dream".

doug

Post by doug » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:26 pm

I've got a book....."Songs of Doc Watson".....which has some fiddle tunes. They're not arranged specifically for classical guitar.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

oski79

Post by oski79 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:47 pm

JohnH* wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:14 am
oski79 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm
JohnH* wrote:
I hope you at least suspected that my statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek. Some people take themselves soooo seriously! :casque:
Definitely! :D
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Public Space”