Bach Chaconne edition- concerns, recommendations,suggestions

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
sal

Bach Chaconne edition- concerns, recommendations,suggestions

Post by sal » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Looking for suggestions of editions of the Bach Chaconne. I am looking at the Segovia edition, and comparing it to the Violin version I notice a lot more notes, particularly with respect to chord treatment.
Are there any guitar editions that are closer to the violin version, and if so what are they?
I am in NO WAY ready to play this piece- looking more for study purposes. I realize if I want the violin version I could just read a violin edition-but would really like insight fingerings, positions, ya know, guitar stuff.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.

amezcua

Re: Bach Chaconne edition- concerns, recommendations,suggestions

Post by amezcua » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 pm

The Chaconne was written to express how he felt when his wife died. That`s what I have read about it . In the first page there is a short section that sounds , to me , like a sobbing effect. For example when a child is very upset and crying there is a series of sudden inward gasps .On a violin it works , but in Guitar transcriptions it has been eliminated . Recordings by violinists seem to ignore the effect as well although the notes are there .They just don`t stress it to bring out that emotional effect .Is it in bad taste or too obvious to mention the way you react when someone close dies ? Most talk about Bach rambles on about musical technicalities but never about how he felt as a human being .

Vincent Tan

Post by Vincent Tan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 am

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm
Looking for suggestions of editions of the Bach Chaconne. I am looking at the Segovia edition, and comparing it to the Violin version I notice a lot more notes, particularly with respect to chord treatment.
Are there any guitar editions that are closer to the violin version, and if so what are they?
I am in NO WAY ready to play this piece- looking more for study purposes. I realize if I want the violin version I could just read a violin edition-but would really like insight fingerings, positions, ya know, guitar stuff.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.
The Segovia edition is heavily scrutinized because of all that added notes and effects that made it more 'guitaristic'. I think a quick search in this forum would provide you with suggestions of more 'appropriate' transcription of the piece if you want it to be more true to the violin version. However, I would suggest listening to Enno Voorhorst's recording of Bach's Chaconne. His version is very similar to the Segovia version (some omitted notes here and there) but the richer chords, the added notes, the music, everything just made sense on the guitar. Its my favorite version of Bach's Chaconne on the guitar particularly the A major part of the piece (brought me to tears). If I want something closer to the violin, I'd listen to a violin playing it instead.

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 am

Barrueco's edition is closer to the violin than Segovia's. You could listen to him playing it while following the violin score and see if you want to get the score for study.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop
2017 Traphagen Spruce Doubletop

isaacfe

Post by isaacfe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Have a look at Technique Analysis and Interpretation of J.S. Bach Chaconne (BWV 1004) with Abel Carlevaro. (Chanterelle)
2012 Ramon Blanco Cedar/Rosewood. 650 mm.
2015 Ramon Blanco German Spruce/Rosewood. 650 mm.
2016 Edgar Perez Cedar/Rosewood. 650 mm.
2016 Edgar Perez 8 strings Spruce/Cocobolo. 650 mm.
http://ve.linkedin.com/pub/isaac-feuerberg/18/4b6/730/

isaac_suit6

Post by isaac_suit6 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:35 am

There is an interesting article on the Chaconne and the Segovia transcription here: http://pristinemadness.com/files/chaconne.html

If you are interested in the study of this, you can find two guitar transcriptions at:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Partita_No ... Sebastian)

Scroll down (about one-quarter) and select tab titled: Arrangements and Transcriptions
Scroll down halfway to find the guitar transcriptions.

The first is by Matthieu Jacquot. In this he shows at times the Urtext edition part and his guitar articulation interpretation; in some passages.

The other is by Kuokkanen; this one shows suggested fingerings.

I mention the above transcriptions because they are free to download and study/play.
Cheers,
isaac_suit6

wingarratta

Post by wingarratta » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:21 am

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm
Pepe Romero's edition of the partita is well worth a look. Apart from the long arpeggio passage in the first section of the Ciaccona, which he has made very elaborate, the rest has very few added notes, and the fingerings are very straightforward.
If, as you say you're not yet ready to play it, this could be a very good place to start getting to know it.
"When I meet people who are passionate about the guitar to the exclusion of every other kind of music, it irritates me profoundly" - J. Bream

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:48 am

I've always liked the Segovia edition--sounds more "guitaristic" even though he was influenced by Busoni's piano transcription, which is my favorite version altogether! Manuel Barrueco's is good, too. (It's available on his site.)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:21 pm

Segovia's is a mix of brilliance and excess. I always thought John Williams' 60's reading effective. To me it sounds like he used Segovia's as a jumping-off point. Paring it down adds emotional power, imo. But if it's too bare (Pepe) why play it on guitar.

As amezcua said, it expresses Bach's emotional struggle in the wake of his first wife's death. Ideally, it begins with loss, sadness and grief, moves through resignation, and goes to acceptance and ends in faith.

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:30 pm

What do you guys think about transcription made by Yepes?
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

wingarratta

Post by wingarratta » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:59 am

TheEvan wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:21 pm
Segovia's is a mix of brilliance and excess. I always thought John Williams' 60's reading effective. To me it sounds like he used Segovia's as a jumping-off point. Paring it down adds emotional power, imo.
Yes to all that.
But if it's too bare (Pepe) why play it on guitar.
Because it works perfectly well. Of course we each have our own musical tastes and notions of what is guitaristic; I was giving what I thought to be a helpful answer to sal's question.
As amezcua said, it expresses Bach's emotional struggle in the wake of his first wife's death.
May I ask how you guys know this?
"When I meet people who are passionate about the guitar to the exclusion of every other kind of music, it irritates me profoundly" - J. Bream

Claughton

Post by Claughton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:42 pm

The version by Karl Scheit is the one I play. I do not know how this compares or relates to other versions but I find it very satisfactory.

Return to “Public Space”