What are the best chairs/stools ?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
BellyDoc

Re: What are the best chairs/stools ?

Post by BellyDoc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I got an adjustable piano bench/artist bench because the seat surface is just the right amount supportive and yet soft for hours of seated time. However even with adjustability, I wanted the adjustment range lower than the factory height. I ended up trimming the legs down. The result is perfect for me. I found a number of online sources as well as watched the classifieds before deciding. I play mostly with a guitar support and my thighs level.

Before the bench, I considered the Wegner Nota music chair which is for orchestra use and is designed with the knowledge that the musician will sit forward on the edge of the seat. I opted not to use it because it wouldn’t have been as easily modifiable and the width of the bench is nice for the thigh spread I like for guitar.

I’m always looking at seating now with the thought of whether it would be good for guitar. Just last weekend I was at a big home supply store and there were stools designed for use in a bathroom, perhaps to sit beside a tub. There was a teak version with a solid but cupped seat that was surprisingly good, as well as a wood and wicker stool that had a really nice firm pad feel at the right height. I’ve also found side chairs at an import store that were very workable. If I ever decide to throw a big guitar party, I’ll pick up some choices and see what people tend to prefer.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:36 pm

I bought one of the Original Guitar Chairs, just Google for "Original Guitar Chair", and I'm happy with it. It has a triangular section for the legs. Don't try to lean over too far to one side or the other! It is a pretty minimalistic design and stays out of the way of the guitar and gives you support for your back. He makes them in different heights. I got the tallest one because I'm 6' 2".

I don't think this chair is designed to use while leaning forward. If anything, barre chords require pulling back on the neck, with means to me that it is better for the guitar to be angled backwards, and so my body is also angled backwards. Plus, it is easier to see where your hands are on the fretboard if the guitar is angled backwards. Since guitarists are not normally part of an orchestra, it doesn't seem to me that anyone designing a chair for other orchestra players would design one that worked for a guitarist.

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:44 pm

I do like an adjustable piano bench the best. I use one at one of the schools where I teach. But at home I use a Cellist Chair by Wenger. It comes in two different heights and slants slightly forward. It's very solid and has very durable padding on seat and back. It looks very professional. There are color choices.
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Zen

Post by Zen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm

I use the original guitar chair as well. It was not inexpensive, but when I received it and noted the high quality mater and construction I felt it was fairly priced. It now shows no wear after two years daily use.
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

Joey Grimaldi

Post by Joey Grimaldi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Often when I play shows I use my acoustic electric and I wear a strap, holds the guitar at any height, I think the guitar props for your leg look rather funny. At home I usually sit Indian style on the couch with a pillow under my left leg, works very well.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Joey Grimaldi wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:15 pm
Often when I play shows I use my acoustic electric and I wear a strap, holds the guitar at any height, I think the guitar props for your leg look rather funny. At home I usually sit Indian style on the couch with a pillow under my left leg, works very well.
After trying many guitar props, I gave up, and went back to a simple foot stool. Some people say a foot stool hurts their back but that hasn't been a problem for me.

I once built a set of four dining room chairs while learning how to build furniture. Back then, I read a wonderful book on the history of chairs, it is entitled "The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design" by Galen Cranz. From what I recall, the book makes the point that all chairs fail in one way or another. The quest for an ergonomic chair is pretty much a foolhardy venture because the human body is meant to move and not be confined to any one position for too long.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:09 pm
I have one very similar to this, perhaps a tad heavier than this one shown below (if link is allowed). It's sturdy and portable, not to mention extremely adjustable. It was worth it for me.

https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/m ... =ACBAAMCH1
The nice thing about that one is that it doubles as a huge paperclip, too.

I don't think anybody mentioned the The "ADJUSTRITE" Musician's Chair. I love it. I also have The Original Guitar Chair and I prefer the Adjustrite more. Personal preference really.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 am

soltirefa wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:24 pm
celestemcc wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:09 pm
I have one very similar to this, perhaps a tad heavier than this one shown below (if link is allowed). It's sturdy and portable, not to mention extremely adjustable. It was worth it for me.

https://www.johnsonstring.com/cgi-bin/m ... =ACBAAMCH1
The nice thing about that one is that it doubles as a huge paperclip, too.

I don't think anybody mentioned the The "ADJUSTRITE" Musician's Chair. I love it. I also have The Original Guitar Chair and I prefer the Adjustrite more. Personal preference really.
Is it the folding chair? They have different models.

Google:

“Vilhelm Lauritzen Musician Chair”

1stDibs has one for $3000! Does anybody know if this Danish musician’s chair is still being made? It looks way cool.

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:31 pm

Is it the folding chair? They have different models

The "ADJUSTRITE" Musician's Chair just may be the greatest musicians chair ever!

The padded back gives you enough support to help you sit correctly, making it very comfortable for those long gigs or practice sessions.

You can easily adjust the height of the chair, so it will fit both children and adults equally well. Buttons on the legs adjust the leg height in 1" increments, so you can adjust the chair to suit yourself comfortably, whether you prefer a flat seat or a slight downward slope.

Folds up neatly and easily for convenient transport and storage

This well-designed, comfortable, sturdy, easy-to-use, adjustable folding chair will be a great addition to your music room or studio

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:27 pm

People have different opinions on chair preferences. I always recommend trying something out before making a purchase. And as to returning to the footstool? I get it. Regardless of what one chooses, I found a neat little trick to make practicing a lot more comfortable. Either take a couple of thin hardback books, or a thin piece of wood. Place them/it under the back legs of the chair elevating them a bit. It takes a tremendous amount of pressure off of your back! :-)
Dr. Todd Tipton, classical guitarist
Cincinnati, OH, USA (available via Skype)
http://www.toddtipton.com

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:32 pm

take a couple of thin hardback books
Non-fiction, or course.

4freeman

Post by 4freeman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:16 pm

what about the Quik Lok DX749 Deluxe Seat it is something anyone has tried

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:21 am

Altophile wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 am
I like "The Original Guitar Chair"; it's pretty expensive, but very nice, and has a back rest.
I have that model of the Guitar Chair. I really like it, great cushion, super-comfortable and it's very portable. I wish I'd bought the "large" version of the chair, though, as the regular feels a little low, even though I'm just average height.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

montana

Post by montana » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:45 am

Todd Tipton wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:27 pm
People have different opinions on chair preferences. I always recommend trying something out before making a purchase. And as to returning to the footstool? I get it. Regardless of what one chooses, I found a neat little trick to make practicing a lot more comfortable. Either take a couple of thin hardback books, or a thin piece of wood. Place them/it under the back legs of the chair elevating them a bit. It takes a tremendous amount of pressure off of your back! :-)
Thanks . .I'll give it a try

Return to “Public Space”