Room Humidity Control

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
johnd

Room Humidity Control

Post by johnd » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:28 pm

Anyone try a automated humidity control unit for their music room? There are some units out there that claim they can control the humidity in a range the user specifies. Sounds like a great idea.

cedartop

Re: Room Humidity Control

Post by cedartop » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:59 pm

When I recently bought my new Traphagen guitar, Dake sent a D'Adario humidity system with it. I think it is actually made by Boveda, who makes a lot of like products. The system comes with two packs. One sits in your case where the headstock is and the other (which actually has two pockets) is supposed to loop over the middle two strings and hang into the sound hole. However, it is made for steel string guitars and is a little too large to fit well. Dake suggested just putting it in the compartment where you store strings, etc. There are a couple of advantages to this system. You just replace the packs that go into the pockets periodically instead of adding water, etc. The other one is that it both adds AND removes moisture from the air as needed, keeping the air inside the case at 50% constantly. when you have the guitar out of the case, you leave the case closed to maintain the humidity inside. If you have a wooden case, it takes some time to "season" the case. You can read about it on the Boveda site. They also have an hygrometer that you can calibrate. I have tested the system by placing an hygrometer in the closed case while practicing and checking it when I put the guitar up afterwards. The humidity in the case was 50% regardless of the humidity in the room. i realize this is not quite what you asked about, but it certainly helps you maintain a great environment for they guitar.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop
2017 Traphagen Spruce Doubletop

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:38 pm

johnd wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:28 pm
Anyone try a automated humidity control unit for their music room? There are some units out there that claim they can control the humidity in a range the user specifies. Sounds like a great idea.
First, I'm not familiar with these units.

However, I'd recommend one of these devices as back up.
e.g. Baker B6030 Wet/Dry Bulb Hygrometer
https://www.globaltestsupply.com/produc ... OdEALw_wcB

for anyone concerned about humidity.
I have read that at high or low humidity
many devices are not that accurate.

To read a hygrometer this "plug in" may help.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/dewptrelhumcalc.html

Mod. if these links are not acceptable I will reword them...Thanks

musicstand

Post by musicstand » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:56 pm

My room is 11 feet wide by 12 feet long by 8 feet high. These days with all the rain we have had and the windows open it stays around 50 to 60 % with a temp around 70 F. During our Canadian winter I use a small Holmes. It has a fan blowing through the sponge filter. It has a 1 gallon container which I have to fill every day during the winter to maintain 45 to 50 % humidity. The replaceable sponge filters are about $17 Canadian. It is automatically self on and off regulating whenever the humidity in the room demands it. It also has the benefit of preventing the irritating coughing and nose problems during the heavy furnace months of January and February. Approximate cost is about $55 Canadian for the Holmes unit. It works well for 2 guitars and 2 harps in my small room.
PS: I only use tap water in the 1 gallon container. I have found it did not make any difference to the filter if I used distilled water. I replace the filter every 2 years.

johnd

Post by johnd » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Thanks everyone.
Musicstand - you got what I need. Thanks

630mm

Post by 630mm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:09 am

I'm in Arizona and need humidity all year round. I prefer a humidistat electrical outlet with a power cord at some distance from an evaporative humidifier. I have to step up to a hot mist style humidifer in the very dry months. I haven't had good luck with the built-in humidistats since they're too close to the source. This keeps the room in a 4-5% range centered at 50%.
1973 Ryoji Matsuoka No. 30 Cedar 650mm
1976 Masaru Matano 600 Cedar 658mm
2015 Francisco Navarro Concert Cedar 630mm
1972 Yamaha GC-6D Ezo Spruce 662mm

Douglass Scott
Luthier

Post by Douglass Scott » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:51 pm

johnd wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:28 pm
Yes, it's a good idea, humidifying the room where you keep your instruments is better for your guitars than soundhole or case humidifiers.

You'll find them at any local hardware store or small appliance store. I've always used the cool wick type with built in humidistat - this is what musicstand described above, with a sponge/filter that has to be replaced occasionally. There are also ultrasonic humidifiers and warm mist ones. I've never tried either of those, but they might be good too. The built in humidistats are never accurate, so setting it according to a trusted hygrometer. For example I set mine to 55% in order to maintain an actual humidity in the room of 45% according to my sling psychrometer.

Zen

Post by Zen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26 pm

I use a Boveda, which is the most accurate of several brands I’ve tried in the past.
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

Zen

Post by Zen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 pm

Oh and it’s a warm mist model, which has the benefit of producing steam (which is sterile) and not leaving a la yer of mineral dust (like the cool mist types will do if you’ve got hard water).

Zen

Post by Zen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Oops I meant Boneco...

Zen

Post by Zen » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Oops I meant Boneco...

Return to “Public Space”