Camping with a guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Atocha5

Re: Camping with a guitar

Post by Atocha5 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 am

Contreras wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:22 am
+1

Don't take your good one - I once split the top of a good guitar sitting too close to a fire
Ouch, that must have hurt. I will learn from your mistake! Thanks.

razz

Post by razz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 pm
Experience has taught me that a bottom-of-the-line Yamaha is good reliable guitar. Very playable, and often sounding much better than many guitars costing more.
Agreed - I think my old Yamaha could double as a canoe paddle and still be playable.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:02 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Experience has taught me that a bottom-of-the-line Yamaha is good reliable guitar. Very playable, and often sounding much better than many guitars costing more.
True ... I had an old Yamaha that just hung in my garage untouched for nearly 30 years. Last year I refurbished it by stripping it back to bare wood, French polishing, new tuners, new bone nut and saddle ... I even did a Simplicio-style headstock carving. Turns out a forty year old Yamaha has a pretty good solid spruce top, and plays and sounds rather nice ... much better than the average beater.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:23 pm

There are several brands of nylon string carbon fiber guitars that are impervious to changes in temperature and humidity. You could probably paddle your canoe with them and stop and play the guitar.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am

Todd Tipton wrote:
I agree, a Yamaha C40 would fit the bill nicely. All laminates for top, back and sides. You wouldn't have to worry about the top cracking on one of those. And with the right set of strings, can sound quite nice, for a laminate guitar.

Return to “Public Space”