Count of how many Classical Guitarists you know and meet up with

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
TheCardMaker

Count of how many Classical Guitarists you know and meet up with

Post by TheCardMaker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I recently posted on here with details of my location, hoping to meet up with someone local to me for 'social guitar motivational exchange', for want of a better description.

It occurred to me that, apart from sharing 'Stairway to Heaven' renditions back at school with school mates, I've only sat with and socialized with the one friend who played classical guitar, that was in my twenties (I'm now 48 give or take a hundred years)

For most of my life I've played alone which lets face it suits our instrument (and actually probably our personalities too, but that's a separate discussion)

My question for this post, then, is how socially connected are you guitar lovers? Not including teachers or performers, though, because I expect your lists are long. How many people do you play guitar to, who also play themselves? Seems like a luxury to me, not that I have any issue with being alone (normally, the sound of one violin would depict loneliness, but on this forum it will have to be Villa Lobos' Prelude # 3)....
Freelance .NET Software Developer
FairDeveloper.uk

Karen

Re: Count of how many Classical Guitarists you know and meet up with

Post by Karen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm

This is actually a very good question as there can be a great joy in playing music with another person. My brother, whom I hadn’t seen in years, visited this summer and we had a wonderful time trying to play something together.
However, other than my teacher, my social connection with guitarists is here on the Forum:) I don’t know anyone else who plays classical guitar, or any guitar for that matter, and I bore my husband with my obsessive talk about it. My teacher did mention last year there is an open mike somewhere around here (maybe Toronto?) where one can perform and presumably socialize. Sounds kind of intimidating to me but maybe when I can actually play something I will look into it. Meantime I’m my own best audience.

doug

Post by doug » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 pm

I'm afraid I'm "in the same boat." I don't know anyone else who plays classical guitar. The only person I ever play with, is my son. He plays a steel string acoustic, but he lives almost all the way across the US from me, so I only get to see him two or three times a year. :(
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Same boat for me as well.

However, our saving grace is partly the internet. After years of doing things alone, the internet has finally allowed me to make contact with other people who share the same interest. I know it's not the same as face to face contact or playing duets, but...

In fact I would say that the internet has been the saviour of all the people in the world who have "minority" interests and don't want to sell their soul to fit into the rest of society.

There is a college in the Isle of Skye in Scotland, Sabhal Mor Ostaig, that through the use of online learning is teaching Gaelic to people literally across the world, right up to masters' level and is helping to reverse the decline in spoken Gaelic.

Due to the internet, this is a great time for me to be alive (and I am being completely sincere).
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:25 pm

TheCardMaker wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm

For most of my life I've played alone which lets face it suits our instrument ….
I think the guitar is a very social instrument. Somehow classical guitar customs have diverged into an anti-social cul-de-sac which focuses on the trying to teach everyone to be a virtuoso soloist. The instrument itself is very portable. The mass produced instruments are pretty good and cheap enough in the western world that you can take it with you anywhere without a bad conscience if it gets damaged.

That said I fall into the typical lone player pattern …

martin_z

Post by martin_z » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Apart from my teacher, I also know a grand total of zero.

Perhaps I ought to try to do something about that. There are some nice duet pieces - I wonder if my teacher can put me in touch with someone else around my standard?

(wanders off musing.....)

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 pm

I know a couple of people who dabble but primarily play other styles.

I do see CG as a solo instrument - I don't know of a single piece I want to play that involves anyone else... so I'm quite happy playing by myself and sucking a humbug.

I think the people who might have said 'yes I do that all the time, otherwise what would be the point?' have been ruled out in advance, because that is a performer's mentality.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:13 pm

I attend weekly guitar & mandolin orchestra rehearsals. We have about 14 guitarist members, an average of say 10 attending per week. From that orchestra the bassist and one of the mandolinists, who are also guitarists, meet with me and another for weekly guitar quartet sessions. Another trio to which I belong (different people) meets twice monthly. And, of course, on Delcamp I regularly meet with hundreds of guitarists from all over the world. :discussion:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 am

martin_z wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:51 pm
…. I wonder if my teacher can put me in touch with someone else around my standard?...
This is one of the key issues in my view. The teaching culture is focussed on soloists. Teachers seem not learn to how to encourage or teach groups. They do not in general organize group events for their students although these would be advertising.

The other issue I suppose is the 100 year transition for participation in music to consumption of music. (Hmmm … in general consumption instead of participation …).

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:35 am

Many colleges offer guitar ensemble courses and there are community guitar orchestras here and there you might be able to join. I've been involved with directing guitar ensembles for decades and most of my players are not soloists but love to play. In fact, many were beginners a couple semesters before joining the group. Ensemble playing, besides the obvious social aspect, is very different from solo playing and really enhances sight reading, a sense of beat, and listening skills for soloists.

My group:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zqDSFAgHdE
I play a Cordoba Mini so I look taller on stage!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 am

Currently:1
In the late 90's: at least a dozen
Between then and now: 1-3

For now I have 1 young lady who visits quarterly. It's a long drive to my suburban condo for her. We "showcase" our solo material for one another, play duos [having practiced our individual parts in advance] then end the day's session by sharing a light lunch I prepare or have delivered.

When I lived in Detroit (from about 2000-2015) , I managed to coax local classical guitarists to meet several times a year to play through some of my extensive collection of ensemble music. Occasionally, we got up to speed enough to do open play at our local guitar society meetings.

I lived in Washington, DC for about 2 years during the 90s. It was my happy place for meeting up with classical guitar players and other instrumentalists. I would set the date and time, get out the sheet music and the snacks, and players showed up ready & willing to sightread for hours. Those were the days!

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:33 am

I have to admit to knowing a few people who don't play classical guitar. The rest do.
Steve

TheCardMaker

Post by TheCardMaker » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:42 am

CathyCate wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 am
For now I have 1 young lady who visits quarterly. It's a long drive to my suburban condo for her. We "showcase" our solo material for one another, play duos [having practiced our individual parts in advance] then end the day's session by sharing a light lunch I prepare or have delivered.
Now that sounds ideal to me. It's not the want of being surrounded by zillions of other guitarists, actually I might find a room full a bit too much.

It's having that one person and a good few hours to while away to catch up with, all from a guitary perspective. And of course, light lunch is the icing on the cake

This would be my ideal format: Each time you meet up you set each others homework for the next meeting - you choose a brand new piece to learn yourself, and your partner chooses one for you too. So you have two new pieces to learn, and a whole quarter in time to do it. Working this way, when your motivation flags a tad, you think about that extra motivation, that your partner will be ready and keen to listen at the results of your hard work.

I'm not surprised to see lots of people in the same position as I am, maybe we need a Google maps web page where you can anonymously pin point yourself, and when someone requests to find out who you are, the forum sends on a message for your approval, something like that. I'll call it GuiTinder

Feels like a tragedy to me that so much passion is kept in lots of little solo pockets around the world, even just pairing people up would be more than twice as good
Freelance .NET Software Developer
FairDeveloper.uk

albert-canuck

Post by albert-canuck » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 am

I know zero people as well who play classical guitar near me. I try to expose my high school students to it by playing some at my desk sometimes as well as playing some youtube videos on the smart board for them. There are a half a dozen who play acoustic guitar as well as electric but classical guitar does not seem to attract them as much.

There is a classical guitar club in Winnipeg, Manitoba that I may join when I retire next year. They put on concerts and have a few get togethers per year that would be fun. It is a 150 km drive to the city from my little town so I haven't joined yet. It would be nice to meet some like minded people.
1979 Ramirez 1a 10 String
1992 Paulino Berbabe M50
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II (first guitar)

bear

Post by bear » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 am

zero
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce