Count of how many Classical Guitarists you know and meet up with

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Leon Leong

Re: Count of how many Classical Guitarists you know and meet up with

Post by Leon Leong » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:03 am

i do meet up with people to play music or sing along, i will strum the guitar or ukulele ...but classical guitar? zero.
all classical guitar music i know is for solo. i think we need repertoire that play 'together'.

TheCardMaker

Post by TheCardMaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am

Zero seems to be a bit of a key word in this thread, and that's not good!

Message to webmaster: Please make us a web page with a nice Google map so that we can optionally pin point ourselves. The pin could say 'there is a guitarist living here' and nothing else, any contact could be managed through the website or a safe third party.

It could be done separately, away from a forum like this, but that would feel less safe. Better then: If a pin on a map was accepted as representing a valid member by the webmaster/forum admin, and a person asking to be put in touch with the said pin owner was also validated against a forum account, and the map was only visible to forum members of a certain ranking...

I do tend to get lad astray with my ideas, bear with me! Back to work now......
Freelance .NET Software Developer
FairDeveloper.uk

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea to me and gets my vote.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm

TheCardMaker wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am
Message to webmaster: Please make us a web page with a nice Google map so that we can optionally pin point ourselves. The pin could say 'there is a guitarist living here' and nothing else, any contact could be managed through the website or a safe third party
No thanks! The less the site has to do with 3rd party tracking, the better I like it.

I am pretty sure that there are Facebook/google/microsoft groups that offer or could offer exactly this functionality for anyone who is interested.

For anyone who advertises what kind of guitar(s) they have, such an app makes a great shopping list tool for a potential thieves - kind of like a fedex tool for scheduling pick-ups. :-)

TheCardMaker

Post by TheCardMaker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:16 pm

I was thinking:

A participants level of advertising is this: A pin on a map saying that there is 'a guitarist' at a particular postcode. That's it

Nobody knows who it is, or what guitars they own, or which house they live in. An interested party applies to be introduced to the guitarist on the map (because they live nearby). The guitarist on the map is given the forum username so that he or she can make an informed decision about the applicant based on what they can see of their presence on the forum. The applicant is also 'checked' for authenticity

The forum is a good place to host such a system because it is a good place to validate the level of interest aa person has in the subject (of the forum, it could apply in any area really)

I'm not expecting it to happen, these things take work. But I'd sign up for it if it ever did :-)
Freelance .NET Software Developer
FairDeveloper.uk

Muggins Simoon

Post by Muggins Simoon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 pm

My younger brother has a CG performance degree. He is much better than me but we get to talk CG all the time, go to CG concerts together, etc.
2011 Mathieu Trepanier Sitka/Koa
2000 Otto Vowinkel Concert Spruce/Brazilian
1998 Christopher Dean Spruce/Indian
1995 Richard Schneider Sequoia/Brazilian
1979 Dauphin Model 40 (Japan-signed label) Cedar/Indian

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:00 pm

I know one. She is a dabbler, like me. By that, I mean she plays other instruments too.

There is a group of CG players that meet up 3 or 4 times a year in my town. It is primarily luthier's who show up and bring their latest creations, and they also play. We are supposed to meet up this month. I have yet to hear what day it will be. But, I don't see the guys from the group out side of the group.

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:48 pm

At the moment, just one. Plus some friends in Mexico who play classical, but none of them are particularly serious or dedicated, and I doubt I'll see any of them in at least 2-3 years.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

bear

Post by bear » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 pm

TheCardMaker wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am
Zero seems to be a bit of a key word in this thread, and that's not good!
Why?
If, I wanted to meet other classical guitarists, I could. There are colleges and universities in my are where cg is taught, recitals given, etc.. It's not difficult. I choose not too.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Return to “Public Space”