RIP Matanya Ophee

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
SeanWinkler

RIP Matanya Ophee

Post by SeanWinkler » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:41 am

Just learned of the passing of Matanya Ophee. His impact on the classical guitar world will persist well beyond his mortal time. I will be forever grateful to him for introducing me to the music of Francois de Fossa among others.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Vlad Kosulin

Re: RIP Matanya Ophee

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 am

OMG.
RIP.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:50 am

His last Facebook posting (on October 12) mentioned that he was going into hospice care. Ave atque vale.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 am

Rest in Peace.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:47 am

Debating Matanya Ophee was a truly unique experience. I spent many happy hours squabbling with him online. Requiescat in pace.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:16 am

A very opinionated man but with the knowledge and research skills to back up those opinions. I enjoyed reading his articles. Alav Ha-sholom.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 am

I was his student for a time back in the 70s in that rambling old house in New Hampshire. An experience of a lifetime. RIP

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 am

I was an old friend of Matanya's, we met in Boston in the early 80s and I was fond of going over to his place to play for him on all his exotic guitars. He annoyed the heck out of me from time to time, but he was often right. And if he wasn't right, so what? He never backed down. The guitar world has lost a great scholar and a larger-than-life personality. He has made an enormous contribution.

Considering his, err...outspoken, opinions about the GFA, I wonder if they will give him the posthumous respect he never felt he got from that organization in this lifetime.

We will miss you MO.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Oh, sad news indeed! RIP Matanya Ophee. And thank you for your innumerable contributions to the guitar world.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 pm

This is sad news. I spoke with him once when I was searching for his edition of the Carcassi études. He minced no words and said it was out of print and gruffly wished me good luck, haha. I did manage to pry a copy out of somebody’s hands on this forum. :-)

He certainly gave a lot to the guitar world. Will his editions continue to be sold? I hope plans have been made to preserve all of his work.

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:34 pm

I have to admit, I had no idea who this Gent was. I found this, from 2013. I like him, now I am sad he is gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIXnqTV ... e=youtu.be
2017 Yamaha SLG200NW

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 am
I was an old friend of Matanya's, we met in Boston in the early 80s and I was fond of going over to his place to play for him on all his exotic guitars. He annoyed the heck out of me from time to time, but he was often right. And if he wasn't right, so what? He never backed down. The guitar world has lost a great scholar and a larger-than-life personality. He has made an enormous contribution.

Considering his, err...outspoken, opinions about the GFA, I wonder if they will give him the posthumous respect he never felt he got from that organization in this lifetime.

We will miss you MO.
Matanya was awarded the Industry Leadership Award from the GFA in 2011. So he did get their recognition. He was interesting to talk with and friendly in person, I recall having beers with him and a bunch of GFA buddies a few years ago. He was trying to figure out why one of his guitars, which looked terrific on the outside, did not have much sparkle and volume. RIP.

Kent

Post by Kent » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Hidden in the background, he made huge contributions to the classical guitar community. He did it his way.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:02 pm

RIP, I always thought his editions were tops.
Dave

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 pm

This is a great loss. He was so knowledgeable and so courageous and he was always thinking outside the box. Moreover he was a true friend, he helped me in so many ways. I will never forget the three days I spent in his house in December 2012. He showed me his enormous library packed with precious and rare manuscripts and prints and his photocopy machine and told me to get started. I was copying like mad for three full days. Later he showed me his stock of editions and told me to just take whatever I wanted. There will not be anyone like him. I miss him very, much!

Return to “Public Space”