RIP Matanya Ophee

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
David Norton

Re: RIP Matanya Ophee

Post by David Norton » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 pm

MartenFalk wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 pm
He showed me his enormous library packed with precious and rare manuscripts and prints <snip>
It will be interesting to see how his heirs choose to deal with this important legacy. Donation? Auction? Direct sales? Too early to contemplate, of course, but something to watch for in coming months.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 pm

Indeed someone with an important contribution behind the online persona.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:16 pm

I am really sad to hear of Matanya's passing. Life is too short. I was sure that I would have another round of dialogue with him at some point. He was often full of fire and brimstone, wit and vitriolic. Sometimes serious, sometimes in jest. Sometimes I wasn't certain whether he was serious or in jest. Sometimes I wasn't certain whether he was certain whether or not he was serious in jest. Sometimes I thought that his comments were off topic or irrelevant. Actually, his world of knowledge and experiences was much larger than mine.

There must be a gazillion "my experience(s) with Matanya" anecdotes out there!

The world is less because of his passing. His contribution to guitar literature, and even more importantly, to the lives of many guitarists, was significant.
Last edited by Ceciltguitar on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:18 pm

Well there's another real character gone. I think his legacy will be that of a forensic clarity of argument - though he could go well over the top and could also get it completely wrong at times - as when he sent a young English guitarist off to research in the British Library having given completely the wrong name to look for, off the top of his head, the idea having been to try to track down Sor's lost piece for guitar and string trio.
I imagine the Regondi studies would have surfaced by now without MO's assistance, but he did a great thing in bringing them to light.
His collection of historical material must have been pretty huge, so one hopes its future will have been planned for, along the lines of that of Robert Spencer.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 am

David Norton wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 pm
MartenFalk wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:55 pm
He showed me his enormous library packed with precious and rare manuscripts and prints <snip>
It will be interesting to see how his heirs choose to deal with this important legacy. Donation? Auction? Direct sales? Too early to contemplate, of course, but something to watch for in coming months.
If I know Matanya, I am sure he ha had plans for this. My guess is that he has planned some sort of donation.

djajasoekarta

Post by djajasoekarta » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm

RIP Matanya

Last time I contact him was 3 months ago & he still clearly write out his mind on email. To hear this just made me sad. Another great character left us...
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Return to “Public Space”