Pepe Romero preferred Guitar Makers (Dake Traphagen)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Urbanarcher11

Pepe Romero preferred Guitar Makers (Dake Traphagen)

Post by Urbanarcher11 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone knew about the guitars played by Pepe Romero ?

I was reading about Dake Traphagen and saw a video clip of Pepe Romero singing praises of his guitar sound.

http://www.traphagenguitars.com/testimonials.html
Last edited by Urbanarcher11 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Mokotoff

Re: Pepe Romero preferred Guitar Makers

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Clearly he favors his son's guitars for obvious reasons.
But before Pepe Jr. became a famous luthier, he used Miguel Rodriguez guitars in concert primarily, The list of guitars he has owned is very long, but includes Hauser, Blochinger and I guess, Dake Traphagen as well. (?)

fraim

Post by fraim » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 pm

dake is on the forum. maybe he'll chime in. my teacher has one of dake's guitars, "brookie", & it's one of the sweetest spainish sounding guitars i've heard.

Frousse

Post by Frousse » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:35 pm

You will find the latest issue (#10) of Orfeo Magazine quite interesting. It displays some of the guitars from his collection. Here is a link to the issue.

https://issuu.com/orfeomagazine/docs/orfeo_10_en

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:03 am

fraim wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:02 pm
dake is on the forum. maybe he'll chime in. my teacher has one of dake's guitars, "brookie", & it's one of the sweetest spainish sounding guitars i've heard.
Dake made ‘Brookie’ for me. I don’t think he ever repeats a name, but to make sure ask your teacher if the guitar has a ‘re-topped in ‘ label inside. Brookie came with a cedar top and I had Dake re-top it with German Spruce after a French polish touch-up fellows’s cat knocked it off his work bench and damaged the cedar top. When I sold it to Dream Guitars it had a Silver Mark Leaf case. I don’t remember the exact year It was made but I’m thinking around 1991 or 92. I supplied the BR which is perfectly quartersawn and was harvested in the 50’s or 60’s. It is a 655 scale. And I had just paid Dake to completely refinish the guitar just prior to selling it to Dream.
I agree with you that it is an amazing sounding guitar. If you check with your teacher and verify the details I’ve shared it would be nice to know where Brookie now resides!
Best regards,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

oc chuck

Post by oc chuck » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:48 am

From our very own Guitune, this thread:
Professional guitarists: their guitars
Post by Guitune

Pepe Romero, Spain -
Hermann Hauser, Germany
Hermann Hauser Jr., Germany
Gioachino Giussani, Italy
Pepe Romero Jr., USA
* Edmund Blöchinger, Germany
René Baarslag, Nederlands
Richard Brune, USA, 1989, Artist model
Manuel Contreras, Spain, 25th Anniversary model
Lester Devoe, USA
Miguel Rodriguez, Spain, Church Door
Dake Traphagen, USA, (3)
Antonio de Torres, Spain
Jose Romanillos, UK
Robert Ruck, USA
Fritz Ober, Germany

From the grapevine, I've heard he has bought and sold many others as well.

fraim

Post by fraim » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 am

jack,

know that brookie has a good home (outside of dallas, texas) & is in the hands of an exceedingly talented young (36) classical guitar player. indeed his brookie was bought from dream guitars & had been retopped. the case is silver & i'll ask him if it came with the guitar. i have a very new steve ganz & was mentioning to steve about my teachers brookie & steve then asked dake if he remembered it. of course he did & so it was cool to me he did. wait til i tell my teacher your story! 6 degrees of separation! oh... i've played it a couple of times too ;)

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 am

Charles Mokotoff wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 pm
True! I have never played a Pepe Jr. guitar myself but they sound good if a bit overly priced. Any other famous guitarist playing Pepe Jr. guitars?
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:30 am

Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 am
Charles Mokotoff wrote:
True! I have never played a Pepe Jr. guitar myself but they sound good if a bit overly priced. Any other famous guitarist playing Pepe Jr. guitars?
How do you come to the conclusion they are overpriced?

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:48 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:30 am
Arash Ahmadi wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 am
Charles Mokotoff wrote:
How do you come to the conclusion they are overpriced?
What makes you think it's a conclusion?
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

fraim

Post by fraim » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:58 pm

by you saying they're "a bit overly priced" is a "conclusion" by you definitively....
Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
Definition of conclusion
:a reasoned judgment 

Urbanarcher11

Re: Pepe Romero preferred Guitar Makers (Dake Traphagen)

Post by Urbanarcher11 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:02 pm

oc chuck wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:48 am
From our very own Guitune, this thread:
Professional guitarists: their guitars
Post by Guitune

Pepe Romero, Spain -
Hermann Hauser, Germany
Hermann Hauser Jr., Germany
Gioachino Giussani, Italy
Pepe Romero Jr., USA
* Edmund Blöchinger, Germany
René Baarslag, Nederlands
Richard Brune, USA, 1989, Artist model
Manuel Contreras, Spain, 25th Anniversary model
Lester Devoe, USA
Miguel Rodriguez, Spain, Church Door
Dake Traphagen, USA, (3)
Antonio de Torres, Spain
Jose Romanillos, UK
Robert Ruck, USA
Fritz Ober, Germany

From the grapevine, I've heard he has bought and sold many others as well.
Thanks for all that guys -there is so much of knowledge here :merci: , its quite clear that Dake's guitars speak to Pepe, its also good to know Dake is on this forum.

Dake if you pass by this thread it would be great if you could shed some light on how Pepe came to like the guitars(if you are allowed to that is), would also love to know what inspires you to start a guitar, do you hear a sound that you want to reproduce ? do you see an image and also hear the guitar ? How do you know that the guitar will speak to a particular patron, is it intuition ? Have you made an instrument just out of a pure desire to make it, can you share such a story ? and finally would you be kind enough to share your three most favourite songs/pieces ? ( again you don't have to if its personal or you could PM :wink: )

Thanks in advance.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 pm

fraim wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:58 pm
by you saying they're "a bit overly priced" is a "conclusion" by you definitively....
Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
Definition of conclusion
:a reasoned judgment 
con·clu·sion
(plural con·clu·sions)
noun
1. decision based on facts: a decision made or an opinion formed after considering the relevant facts or evidence
2. final part of something: the part that brings something to a close (formal)
3. final settlement of something: the completion of a formal agreement or deal, especially after long or detailed discussions and arrangements
4. closing argument in trial: the summation or closing argument at the end of the case being tried
5. logic part of argument deduced from evidence: the portion of an argument for which evidence is presented

How can I make a conclusion when I say I have never played one of his instruments? This is just a personal opinion based on the recordings of his guitars and the photos of his construction method. Needless to say I don't have anything against him.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Hmmm, you are now arguing you didn’t come to a conclusion based upon the fact you haven’t played one of his guitars.

Sorry, your original statement clearly indicated you considered his guitars priced too high. That’s a conclusion.

The reason I asked the question was to understand how you came to that belief. The fact that you acknowledge you did so without a sound basis for forming that conclusion does not prove the absence of a conclusion - it sheds light on an ill-informed conclusion.

Not sure whether the phrase below is in use in your country, but in Australia we’d say ‘stop digging your own hole’.

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

petermc61 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:31 pm
Hmmm, you are now arguing you didn’t come to a conclusion based upon the fact you haven’t played one of his guitars.

Sorry, your original statement clearly indicated you considered his guitars priced too high. That’s a conclusion.

The reason I asked the question was to understand how you came to that belief. The fact that you acknowledge you did so without a sound basis for forming that conclusion does not prove the absence of a conclusion - it sheds light on an ill-informed conclusion.

Not sure whether the phrase below is in use in your country, but in Australia we’d say ‘stop digging your own hole’.
I have clearly stated what I meant, you are free to conclude as you wish. I choose my words carefully to avoid misunderstanding but sometimes it's inevitable. Words like "belief" and "conclusion" are way too irrelevant for the discussion that we are having. I still think they are overpriced but that's not a belief or conclusion, I might change my mind when I get to play one of his guitars or do more research. For the time being, it's not rational to jump into conclusions when one knows so little about a subject.

Return to “Public Space”