Traveling with a double top vs. normal guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Arash Ahmadi

Traveling with a double top vs. normal guitar

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 am

Performers often need to travel from say a dry and hot place to a wet and cold place or vice versa. For a frequent traveler, would a double top mean extra care and worry? Why?

Please share your thoughts and experience.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

richtm

Re: Traveling with a double top vs. normal guitar

Post by richtm » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 pm

I have no personal experience with double tops on tour, but when I was travelling to Andreas Kirmse in Leipzig I was not worrying about the summer hot temperature in his car for my Köröskenyi solid cedar top guitar, which I left in his car for quite some wile. I knew that this would only induce heir to get out of tune but would have no effect to the wood.

Andreas looked from a dt perspective on it and would not have done it. I don't know exactly if this came out of practicle experience or only out of anticipation what might have happened to the instrument ( I didn't ask).

My rational for it was, that a dt guitar has much thinner woods and therefore could be much more sensitive to extreme conditions as you described above.

Looking forward to your perspectives :discussion: :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar top; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce top, Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar Double-top

Arash Ahmadi

Post by Arash Ahmadi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:48 am

richtm wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Andreas looked from a dt perspective on it and would not have done it. I don't know exactly if this came out of practicle experience or only out of anticipation what might have happened to the instrument ( I didn't ask).

Yes, I think you are right. Me too, looking forward to see what other members have to say.
To send light into the darkness of men's heart, such is the duty of the artist. (Robert Schumann)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:09 am

This is a really interesting question posed by the OP.

Personally, I am ever unlikely to travel far with a guitar but the answer might inform a parallel question of interest - do double top guitars show less sensitivity in the change of their sound with change in humidity? I suspect that broader question might be of interest to even more people than the original question.

Regards
Peter

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 am

In a sense, a DT is plywood...thin veneers sandwiched over a core. The bonding should render the top less susceptible to temperature and humidity shifts. I would say that is true of the one I have.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:03 pm

richtm wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 pm
I have no personal experience with double tops on tour, but when I was travelling to Andreas Kirmse in Leipzig I was not worrying about the summer hot temperature in his car for my Köröskenyi solid cedar top guitar, which I left in his car for quite some wile. I knew that this would only induce heir to get out of tune but would have no effect to the wood.

My rational for it was, that a dt guitar has much thinner woods and therefore could be much more sensitive to extreme conditions as you described above.

It is not jus the wood you need to worry about but also the glue in high heat. And the humidity would drop to very low levels inside a car as the temperature rises. Never a good idea to leave a guitar in closed hot car....any guitar.

Return to “Public Space”