Did Segovia Ever Play or Record the Suite Española by Gaspar Sanz?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Did Segovia Ever Play or Record the Suite Española by Gaspar Sanz?

Post by Altophile » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Just curious

decamara

Re: Did Segovia Ever Play or Record the Suite Española by Gaspar Sanz?

Post by decamara » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:40 pm

I believe that recording you linked

Is actually Alirio Diaz

Parkening also recorded this

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm

No. Segovia recorded the "Pavana in A minor" in 1948, along with two Milan pavanas. And he recorded the Sanz "Gallarda" on his Maestro LP for Decca in 1960 or so. But that's all he did from Sanz.

The "Suite Española" is a made-up concatenation of pieces by Sanz, and does not exist as a cohesive manuscript work. Until Rodrigo's "Fantasia par un Gentilhombre" came in 1954, no one paid much attention to Sanz. I believe Narciso Yepes was the first to pull together a solo guitar suite, which he somewhat structured in parallel to the "Fantasia", selecting movements which also are in that work, and both works ending with the flamenco-ized "Canarios". Pepe and Angel Romero also recorded a "Suite Española", but the movements are not contiguous with what Yepes chose, though once again they all end with a full-blooded "Canarios". Diaz, Parkening, and others made their own versions as well.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:17 pm

David Norton wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm
No. Segovia recorded the "Pavana in A minor" in 1948, along with two Milan pavanas. And he recorded the Sanz "Gallarda" on his Maestro LP for Decca in 1960 or so. But that's all he did from Sanz.

The "Suite Española" is a made-up concatenation of pieces by Sanz, and does not exist as a cohesive manuscript work. Until Rodrigo's "Fantasia par un Gentilhombre" came in 1954, no one paid much attention to Sanz. I believe Narciso Yepes was the first to pull together a solo guitar suite, which he somewhat structured in parallel to the "Fantasia", selecting movements which also are in that work, and both works ending with the flamenco-ized "Canarios". Pepe and Angel Romero also recorded a "Suite Española", but the movements are not contiguous with what Yepes chose, though once again they all end with a full-blooded "Canarios". Diaz, Parkening, and others made their own versions as well.
Thank you. Wow, you really are a walking encyclopedia of all things classical guitar! :-)

I actually have Yepes' arrangement of the Suite, but once I came to realize that I'd never be able to play his arr. of Canarios, I decided not to bother with the easier pieces. So the sheet music has been collecting dust for decades now.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am

Why, what does Yepes do to the original? I can't say I've ever tried Canarios on modern guitar but on a baroque guitar it isn't all that difficult, at least not using the Sanz version. Just take it slow!
Historicalguitars.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:46 am

Michael.N. wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am
Why, what does Yepes do to the original? I can't say I've ever tried Canarios on modern guitar but on a baroque guitar it isn't all that difficult, at least not using the Sanz version. Just take it slow!
The easy answer is that Yepes' version has about 3 times more notes than Sanz' original, and includes a lot of strumming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXobDtwM3dA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKKXlNV_350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEJL7ILead8

The piece may not be difficult for a true classical guitarist, but it is for me, so I opted to learn "The Canaries" (Rob MacKillop's arrangement) and "Canaries" (from "The Scottish Lute" by Mel Bay) from the Scottish repertoire instead, which don't cripple my hands!

Return to “Public Space”