"F Nicolai"

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Weed

"F Nicolai"

Post by Weed » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Is anything known of "F Nicolai", the composer of "17 Pièces Favorites arrangées pour Deux Guitarres" (Hambourg chez A Cranz) - eg full name, location, dates of birth and death, and details of personal life and career? I've searched online but found nothing so far.

pogmoor

Re: "F Nicolai"

Post by pogmoor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 pm

This one perhaps (from Oxford Music online - Grove) Not primarily a composer, but seems to have written some music:
Nicolai, (Christoph) Friedrich
(b Berlin, 18 March 1733; d Berlin, 8 Jan 1811). German editor, author and bookseller. In the 1750s he was one of the leaders of the movement opposing the dominance of French literary taste in Germany. He was an advocate of Klopstock's and Wieland's works and was an important figure in the group that included Lessing and Moses Mendelssohn. Though prominent in the German Enlightenment during the 1750s and 1760s, particularly through his Allgemeine deutsche Bibliothek, he was sharply critical of the work of Goethe, Herder, Hamann and other representatives of the growing Romantic movement in Germany in the following decades. His displeasure with the early Romantic interest in folksong (in which he saw amateurish and anti-intellectual tendencies) is reflected in the mock-archaic orthography of the title of his satirical collection Eyn feyner kleyner Almanach (1777–8). The two volumes of this work contain 61 unaccompanied songs (27 anonymous or folktunes, 22 by J.F. Reichardt and 12 composed or arranged by Nicolai); 50 of the songs were later included in Kretzschmer and Zuccamaglio's Original-Weisen (1840) and thereby became a favourite source of ‘folk’ material for Brahms in his choral folksongs and other works (e.g. the Piano Sonata op.1).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Weed

Post by Weed » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 am

pogmoor wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 pm
This one perhaps (from Oxford Music online - Grove) Not primarily a composer, but seems to have written some music:
Nicolai, (Christoph) Friedrich...
Thanks for that. Somehow I missed the part about his songs. The only candidate so far! Although the August Cranz music publishing company wasn't founded until 1814, three years after Friedrich Nicolai died. Also this set of duets seems to be quite well known, but the only music mentioned in Grove is of his unaccompanied folk songs. Perhaps someone might comment on the style of the duets? whether they are more typical of mid C19th compositions?

(My attention was drawn to F Nicolai by the saitenspuren YouTube video of the first piece in the set, #1 Walzer)

Norbert Neunzling

Post by Norbert Neunzling » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Thanks for the thread. As one of the players in the video that started this whole quest I am too very interested in finding more about this composer. It is certainly not Christoph Friedrich Nicolai, as the collection includes a arrangement of 'Tancredi' by Rossini - published 1813. This is the latest date I could find for the arrangements, so I assume that the collection dates to roughly 1815-1820.
This is highly enjoyable music, we want to record the complete collection eventually.
Good thinking on trying to find infos about the publisher. Schott music now holds the rights to the catalogue of Crantz, I will write them and report back if I find some more infos.
Karl Schandl - Wiener Modell - 1927
Richard Jacob (Weißgerber) Nr. 32.8./4 - 1935
Michael Gee - Hauser style no.2 - 1990

Return to “Public Space”