Your musical lineage?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Your musical lineage?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm
Not too sure about Duarte (remember that disparaging blog about the student who took up lessons with him in London), ....
Indeed, and he was there with us at the Bath festival and had so little to contribute compared to Starobin. But the fact is people did come and study with him and it can't have been purely for the endless Segovia anecdotes.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:52 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm
Not too sure about Duarte (remember that disparaging blog about the student who took up lessons with him in London), ....
Indeed, and he was there with us at the Bath festival and had so little to contribute compared to Starobin. But the fact is people did come and study with him and it can't have been purely for the endless Segovia anecdotes.
Out of interest, the best teaching that I saw at that festival was from David Tanenbaum, the following year. I remember that he spotted a couple of tiny mistakes in a guitar duet while listening and reading the score and seemed to be totally "on the ball" musically speaking. Not all great players are great teachers - far from it. And as you say, some great teachers may not be great players. The other example being Jose Thomas, who was apparently too nervous to perform in public, but taught many great players.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

montana

Post by montana » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Moe-larry-curly-me

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Llobet >> Rey de la Torre >> Ben Barron >> me

I must say, the Rey de la Torre school of thinking is a far more friendly approach than many other drill sergeant type teachers from his period. You know, the guys who whack your hand with a ruler when you made a mistake... Ben and I talk a lot about "del Torre" the man, whom we both new personally. I didn't study under him. Ben did, and then graduated from the SF Conservatory. I don't know about Llobet, but if del Torre got his friendly approach from him, then this is a really cool lineage of guitar!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 pm
... So the sociological function of quoting a lineage can only be to enhance one's chances within the field of competition in terms of prestige, income, positions etc.

Hmmm ...

No, sometimes it is respect for tradition. You know, crediting one's elders, and all that stuff.

And sometimes it is just for fun! Some of us enjoy history: migration of cultures, etymology of words, development of music, performance practice, etc. The root of the word "Tradition" is Latin "Traditio" from "Tradere", to transfer, give over. I like that idea.

Here is MY tangled pedigree!

Classical Guitar related only, of course. Doesn't count masterclasses.
Guitar Lineage.jpg
A ski racing coach of mine once got frustrated with me and said: "When are you going to stop studying and do something?!?"

Apropos? I sense a parallel here.

Time to go practice!

cheers!
dirck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 am
rojarosguitar wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 pm
... So the sociological function of quoting a lineage can only be to enhance one's chances within the field of competition in terms of prestige, income, positions etc.

Hmmm ...

No, sometimes it is respect for tradition. You know, crediting one's elders, and all that stuff.

And sometimes it is just for fun! Some of us enjoy history: migration of cultures, etymology of words, development of music, performance practice, etc. The root of the word "Tradition" is Latin "Traditio" from "Tradere", to transfer, give over. I like that idea.
Well, yes, I shouldn't have formulated so strictly. Of course there can be the aspect of respect, homage to tradition, I didn't mean to totally exclude this possibility (which I also admire), but I doubt that this is mostly the reason for mentioning one's own provenience. Sometimes it's maybe more homage to trade (though this is probably a bad etymology :wink: ).

Anyway, everybody can decide for herself/himself.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:25 am
lucy wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 pm
Lagoya / Presti - Gilbert Biberian - Me
How'd you know Gilbert?
Hi Stephen. I had lessons with him, for about a year, while I was at Royal Holloway College.

In response to some of the criticism of this thread, I have to say I learned important things from all the teachers I've had. Teachers of the calibre mentioned by me and others, are able to give advice on how to improve very subtle aspects of playing guitar and musical performance. It was wonderful to study with them!
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:43 am
A ski racing coach of mine once got frustrated with me and said: "When are you going to stop studying and do something?!?"

Apropos? I sense a parallel here.
:lol: I ended up with the same thing from guitar teachers...
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 pm

Taylor 25 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:26 pm
As a self-taught amateur player of several instruments, I really had no musical lineage to speak of. lol. But after joining Elite Guitarist with Tavi Jinariu for over a year, I can now claim an indirect connection to CG royalty. Assuming that we can count being a student of web based CG lessons in this discussion, then my CG lineage would look something like this:

Andres Segovia > Christopher Parkening > Tavi Jinariu > me

Of course, as a mere CG hobbyist (and occasional church performer), I am nowhere near the level of those men. But I do think that having such an awesome lineage should at least be good for a discount at GSI or something! Don't you think? :)

Steve
Since Parkening studied first and for many years with Celedonio Romero, should this be:

Code: Select all

Celedonio Romero > 
                    > Christopher Parkening > Tavi Jinariu > Steve
  Andres Segovia >
--John

eno

Post by eno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 pm

My teacher was a student of Alexander Ivanov-Kramskoi who is often regarded as "the father of Russian classical guitar"
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967, 1962

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:57 am
Contreras wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:41 am
Miguel Llobet >> Rey de la Torre >> Patrick Bashford (RCM) >> me
Think you'll find you can put Tarrega in front of Llobet to add to your lineage 🤓
Excellent - thanks!
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm

No idea. I know my teacher studied under Segovia for a while and was Oscar Ghiglia's student/assistant at some point. Don't know if there's any others. He's the only teacher I've had, so that's as far as my lineage goes haha.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 pm

Interesting question! For me it is:

Sophocles Papas -> Sharon Isbin -> Antigoni Goni -> Gabi Vink -> me

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:52 am

kloeten wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 pm
Interesting question! For me it is:

Sophocles Papas -> Sharon Isbin -> Antigoni Goni -> Gabi Vink -> me
Oh, add Sharon Isbin and your lineage gets much bigger. She even studied with my teacher at some point, apparently. Rather unfortunate for me, we might share first names, but there's no way I can live up to that! :lol:
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 pm

The list of names seems to show what a small world we live in.

Return to “Public Space”