Does anyone else NOT like performing?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kent

Re: Does anyone else NOT like performing?

Post by Kent » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Guitar is a form of meditation, so it is certainly OK to practice and play with no desire to perform.
I would recommend that you eventually record and share your music that way.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:56 pm

I'd like to be able to play in front of people (probably in a causal setting--or maybe in Church) without anxiety or inhibitions. But performing has never been my goal. Playing with other people does sound fun.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:23 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 pm
I heard once that Artur Rubenstein used to be physically sick before many performances. It's an odd thing. Give me an electric and a stack of marshalls and I'd be happy to play the Albert Hall, and it wouldn't be great playing, Give me a CG and I'd worry about playing at my local OAP rest home. An old friend used to play violin with a touring band (Stackridge) and thrived on it. I saw him playing Bach in a performance and he looked like a rabbit the headlights. There's something about a 'classical' performance that turns up the pressure in an odd way.
Well a "classical" performance does require a level of precision that isn't quite the same as with other types of music. It's sort of like cutting the blue or red wire while defusing a bomb, maybe :lol:
The topic though reminds me of an anecdote about Mahler as a conductor:
Even fifty years later one member of the orchestra could still recall Mahler asking one of the double basses to play a particular passage on his own since he suspected him of poor intonation. The man declared that he was too nervous to do so. Mahler went on rehearsing. Half an hour later he broke off again: ‘Are you still nervous?’ ‘Yes.’ The same conversation was repeated thirty minutes later, at which point Mahler finally called it a day. At the start of the next day’s rehearsal, Mahler asked the player again. By this point he was a bundle of nerves. ‘I didn’t sleep all night and I’m still very nervous.’ ‘You know, you have no business to play in a symphony orchestra,’ retorted Mahler. ‘You should be playing in the back room of a saloon.’
Harsh, but there may be some truth in that. Personally I would be more like the deer in headlights while recording. I think that's where a crippling perfectionism can come in.

martinardo

Post by martinardo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Andrei wrote:
and if I enjoy it - when audience (probably) will
One of the keys to performance IMHO. :bravo:
I'm pink therefore I'm Spam

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Depends on my performance/form of the day. If I play well I enjoy performing, if I don't... I want to crawl under a stone. :oops:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Kent wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm
Guitar is a form of meditation, so it is certainly OK to practice and play with no desire to perform.
I would recommend that you eventually record and share your music that way.
No, recording is worse than an audience! The most nervous I have ever been is when I was being recorded playing the piano.

Lol, but seriously, I'm not so bad nowadays - I have recorded the odd bit of practice and wasn't nervous. Otoh, I am on the maximum dose of beta-blockers!
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Carlos Castilla

Post by Carlos Castilla » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:52 am

About nerves and the rationale behind them:
Almost all the top players and touring artists started to perform really early in live. They come from educational systems that prepare musicians from an early age. Children who aspire to go to music school full time are selected even before they can play anything, based on physical attributes and intuitive musicianship. Where they come from, going to music school is not for everyone. And then in order for them to move up to the next level from elementary to middle school they have to pass an excruciating exam, same goes for high school.
By the time these kids are 17 years old, they have a huge repertoire, several.years of competitions, juries, auditions, concerts, etc... under their belt. Performing in front of an audience is part of the job, it is what they were trained to do, what they look forward to do, what they expect to be doing on a regular basis, otherwise why would.they have spent all.those years of sacrifice and high level of training? They subsequently will spend their late 20s, 30s and up monetizing on their early years' efforts.
That level.of skill is what guarantees a concert promoter that the recital will be successful and to a manager that his client will perform consistently well. Tickets can be sold with confidence, recitals can be aired live on TV, good reviews will happen, you name it.

People.who started later in life, say, 15 and up, and not necessarily in a full time music school will not have the same chances to achieve that level of skill and confidence. There are several exceptions though. But generally, just like learning a second language, music and performing becomes a native tongue when developed early in life. After a certain point, 15 years of age or so,we don't have the same neuroplasticity.
The feel of uneasiness that people who started late in life experience, loosing sleep, etc...before playing a recital, jury, or audition, is absolutely logical and natural. It is the awareness of knowing that there is a task ahead in which you don't feel in complete control. Even if you know the music well and have played it to perfection in your room, you know deep inside that once you are on stage, you don't really know how you are going to react. You don't know if your memory will fail you, or your hands are going to be shaky, cold or sweaty. It is a gamble, and even if it goes without any major accidents, one has to wonder if it had enough artistic merit. It is about the odds. It is about having or not having those years and years of training that put your brain at ease, because the task is so familiar, that you can visualize it.
There are other things to consider as well. For example, children who start early in music school grow up surrounded by a reality in which making music for a living is completely accepted and even appreciated by their parents, family, and community. Generally, these musicians grow up.in societies that put a lot.of value in music and arts. In other words, they grow up with complete reassurance in that what they pursue for a living has a value.
On the other hand, you have the university music schools, accepting kids with almost no training at all, who don't know what is like to be a musician and who are debating with the idea imposed by society that music as a career is a joke compared to engineering, law, medical school, etc... They probably have also struggled with their families trying to convince them that music is a respectable career choice. A typical situation of a family gathering is people asking what does a musician do for a living, and if music should.only be a hobby etc...
That situation doesn't help either.
So,...,if performing is what you want, then you have to do it as often as possible and playing pieces that are in your comfort zone. Pieces that you can play in your sleep, and that allow you to express your musical ideas easily. Doing that helps to develop positive memories of success and achievement. The feeling of looking forward to do it again. It would put the odds in your favor.
Staufer 1830 Replica by Scot Tremblay
Andres Marvi 2015

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 am

I'n with the OP on this one. Love the CG and all that goes with it but don't have a need or an urge to perform. A few weeks back the place i go for lessons had its annual student performance night, in a church. My teacher asked me if I wanted to give it a try so given I've never played in a church before or played the CG in public ( excluding playing to my teacher and the grade examiner) I thought I'd give it a go. I chose a piece I know well and practiced a lot. On the night, as soon as everyone is watching me ( about 30 people) I get very nervous. I get through it ok but it was something to endure, not something to enjoy. I could feel my right hand at times literally shaking which also happens when I do the grade exam in front of the examiner. I tell myself it's ridiculous but it just happens.
Funny thing is when I was a student 20 years ago I did maybe three or four public guitar performances and had no nerves about it at the time. One was an impromptu solo acoustic cover of Norwegian Wood by The Beatles in a pub in Ireland and I even sang it. Yet, ask me to do a CG piece and I'm a bag of nerves. I was wondering whether it's an age thing as well, as I get older, you start to over think and worry a bit more than when you were a carefree youngster.
Overall I'm glad I did it recently but performing is not something I need or want to do regularly so I'm fine with the situation.

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 am

Not liking to perform or stage fright are two different things.
I had my lot of battles against stage fright and now I feel better. Do I like performing? Now yes and sometimes no. I don't like performing when I am playing for folks who don't care about music or classical music. It happened to me twice and I didn't enjoy as half of the public was either sleeping, bored or chatting, texting on their phone. Not very enjoyable.
However (this may sound self contradicting) I enjoy playing in restaurants: more than half of the public is not really listening but I know they are not here for the music and it doesn't bother me. I enjoy even playing some "tubes" when asked even if I don't like them (anymore). I think restaurants are a good opportunity to practice fresh repertoire as the audience doesn't really pay attention and will definitely not be judgmental and even will absorb the music as part of an experience.
Performing has become enjoyable for me over the years as I am taking it as a dialogue or an opportunity to share. I don't play to show (off), but I play to share. And if at least I can entertain a bit or just create an atmosphere, that's good enough. Isn't it the point of music after all?
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:04 am

I like to play for others, but only in informal settings. I can play for family and friends, even at a work function. On occasion I participate in recitals or other forms of performance and I find it very disturbing and mentally exhausting. Usually very rewarding afterwards, though.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm

I share the view of Carlos - we need to start young. Then performance is just part of life. My son is fearless on stage and loves being there. One issue for CG is that it is difficult to impress with it except by playing well. Piano seems much easier in this respect, at a low level. Also CG does seem to attract more introverted players that the brass section.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 pm

...because the brass instruments are basically the loudest instruments. Not to mention percussion.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 pm

There is also the softness of CG if not amped, which can lead to whacking out the sound and losing the confident touch of the practice room , especially if the acoustic is a bit dead ,which can make you think that control was a bit iffy.

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:54 am

As mentioned by Carlos above, I think the key is to do it a lot and do it early on as a child - if you don't then it'll always be difficult unless you really spend a lot of time getting over the nerves by doing lots of performances. My daughter is 8 and plays the Cello and she has no qualms about performing in front of anyone, definitely an age thing - not as self conscious, not worrying about a wrong note or a bad performance, just goes and plays and enjoys it. Who was it who said...'Youth is wasted on the young'. Not a truer word said!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:26 am

No, no, in this case, for those of us with performance anxiety, our youth is wasted as we age!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Public Space”