Best edition of Bach Inventions for Guitar Duo?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
larryguitar

Best edition of Bach Inventions for Guitar Duo?

Post by larryguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:44 am

Who has the best edition of Bach’s two part inventions arranged for two guitars? There is the Jerry Willard edition but the latest printing includes TAB and I hate TAB.

Has anybody else published all of them? I’m working on one of the inventions from David Nadal’s book of guitar duets.

CathyCate

Re: Best edition of Bach Inventions for Guitar Duo?

Post by CathyCate » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm

My favorites are:

Volume 4, Two Guitars Play Music, J.S.Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias, edited and arranged by Erwin Schwarz-Reiflingen, Pub. Sikorski, Hamburg
My dog-eared copy lives in my gig bag and my teacher and I begin or end each lesson with one or more of these selected treasures. They never get old.

I also use Schott's Guitar Archive '83 edition of Bach's Two-Part Inventions which contains, BWV 772-786
Arr. and edited for 2 guitars, by Anton Stingl
The position work can be pretty challenging, but the result is better differentiation between the two guitar voices.

You may try creating your own arrangements using the keyboard scores. It can be an enlightening and fruitful endeavor.

Enjoy!

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 am

CathyCate wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm
My favorites are:

Volume 4, Two Guitars Play Music, J.S.Bach's Inventions and Sinfonias, edited and arranged by Erwin Schwarz-Reiflingen, Pub. Sikorski, Hamburg
My dog-eared copy lives in my gig bag and my teacher and I begin or end each lesson with one or more of these selected treasures. They never get old.

I also use Schott's Guitar Archive '83 edition of Bach's Two-Part Inventions which contains, BWV 772-786
Arr. and edited for 2 guitars, by Anton Stingl
The position work can be pretty challenging, but the result is better differentiation between the two guitar voices.

You may try creating your own arrangements using the keyboard scores. It can be an enlightening and fruitful endeavor.

Enjoy!
Thanks a lot! I ordered the Sikorski from Germany. It has five of the inventions but overlaps with the three that are also in David’s book, so that put me up two inventions.

I managed to find the Schott on the bay that contains all of them.

If anybody wants to sell an old Ariel Publications edition of Jerry Willard’s version, or knows where I can buy a copy, please get in touch with me. I can’t seem to find that one. I may drop Jerry a note.

I do write up quite a few of my pieces in StaffPad. I use StaffPad as my virtual duet partner and it works great for that so I can certainly do my own arrangements from the piano music. My duet partner was actually playing from the piano music during our last rehearsal, she was guitar 1 in Invention #4.

I also play with my teacher and I don’t think they’ll ever get old. For long trills, my teacher suggested plucking on adjacent strings and playing p-I p-m, over and over. That actually feels and sounds better than pulling off.

I saw Angela Hewitt play four of the Partitas, on piano, at the 93nd St Y in New York last week. She is such an amazing player, check out her Bach recordings!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Larry
So glad you found your Bach!

The Schott edition gives you all 15 inventions in a single book. That is an advantage.

With the Sikorski edition, you are also up by three Sinfonias, if you're keeping score. I will be glad to take if off your hands if you decide to scratch that Bach. Just PM me your offer and be sure to include postage.Pardon the puns, I just couldn't stop :D

I play piano, and I am a big Angela Hewitt fan. You are so lucky to have heard her in person!

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:45 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 pm
Larry
So glad you found your Bach!

The Schott edition gives you all 15 inventions in a single book. That is an advantage.

With the Sikorski edition, you are also up by three Sinfonias, if you're keeping score. I will be glad to take if off your hands if you decide to scratch that Bach. Just PM me your offer and be sure to include postage.Pardon the puns, I just couldn't stop :D

I play piano, and I am a big Angela Hewitt fan. You are so lucky to have heard her in person!
Yes, I am grateful. For all of the difficulties that come with living in New York City, the city offers wonderful gifts such as this one. She will be back next March to play the Goldberg Variations and the Well Tempered Clavier, and I have tickets to both. Just thinking of those two concerts will get me through the winter. That, and playing the inventions, LOL.

Have you seen the documentary Seymour: An Introduction? It’s the story of a pianist who gives up the concert stage and finds his calling in teaching. The film is directed by Ethan Hawke. Anyway, Seymour was at the Angela Hewitt concert so I got a chance that tell him that I had enjoyed his film.

I think I’m ahead in the Bach game but the guy did write a lot of music. Still, I will press on. I’ll look at the Sikorski and decide if we can take on the sinfonias. Thanks again!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Larryguitar

Now I'm getting jealous. What an embarrassment of riches! Winter will go fast.

I will be sure to check out the Seymour movie. Is that the Seymour (Bernstein) who wrote With Your Own Two Hands? I weeded my music-related books, but I could not bear to part with that one. Such wisdom.

You're welcome and Enjoy!

CathyCate

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:48 pm

CathyCate wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Larryguitar

Now I'm getting jealous. What an embarrassment of riches! Winter will go fast.

I will be sure to check out the Seymour movie. Is that the Seymour (Bernstein) who wrote With Your Own Two Hands? I weeded my music-related books, but I could not bear to part with that one. Such wisdom.

You're welcome and Enjoy!

CathyCate
Yes, it is the same Seymour Bernstein who wrote that book. Does it have much to offer the classical guitarist?

Definitely check out the film! I don't know how Ethan Hawke came to know of Seymour, maybe he took some piano lessons with him, I don't know.

It's nice to see people build a happy life around music. There was a guitarist who performed at the 92nd St Y who started playing as a kid on the nursing home circuit. THat's my dream, LOL. That, and maybe playing a couple of good ensemble pieces at the Mannes Guitar Festival, a wonderful festival in New York that has the most kind hearted people I have ever met. I think it helps that the festival is not a competition so people are open about their playing.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Seymour Bernstein's book: With Your Own Two Hands will be of interest to many musicians, not just pianists. Bernstein takes a broad view of the study and performance of music by professionals and amateurs alike. Topics include practicing, memorization, performing, stage fright. The style is conversational. The advice is priceless and timeless.

isaac_suit6

Post by isaac_suit6 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 pm

Hello larryguitar,

I own the 1978 Jerry Willard, unfortunately, it's not for sale. I don't know if you are familiar with IMSPL Petrucci Music Library, if you follow this link:
http://imslp.org/wiki/15_Inventions,_BW ... Sebastian) It will take you to the 15 inventions, on the page, there is a tab titled: "Arrangements and Transcriptions." There you will find transcriptions for two guitars by Anton Höger with fingering (no Tabs) -- you need to scroll down about two-thirds. Not all 15 are there, below I list what is available:

Invention
I (BWV 772)
III (BWV 774)
IV (BWV 775)
VII (BWV 778)
VIII (BWV 779)
IX (BWV 780)
X (BWV 781)
XIII (BWV 784)

Copyright is Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0
"Misc. Notes: If performed I would look forward about a small reference to my efforts."

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
isaac_suit6

Return to “Public Space”