What do you use for a camping guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Laudiesdad69

What do you use for a camping guitar?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 am

Another thread on camping with a guitar got me wondering, what do other delcamper use for a guitar to take camping. Is it solid wood, or is it Laminates? Or, is it both...solid top and laminated back and sides? How did it handle the exposure to temperature and humidity Changes?

I currently have a Lucero LC200S that is my camper. Solid Cedar top with laminated back and Sides? How much did you Pay? Mine was less than 200 bucks.

wazow

Re: What do you use for a camping guitar?

Post by wazow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 am

I take a 60$ Lanikai (?) Ukulele. I am really bad at playing it, as I only camp about 1-2 times a year, and this is about the only time I touch it. Yet, it has to be. As when I camp, I also carry all my stuff, and a guitar is just too much for this, IMHO.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:17 pm

I take a 1968 Gianinni. It is plywood (I’m nearly sure). When my mother bought it for me as a teen in 1969, it was $55. With inflation, it might be $300 in today’s market.
It is an old friend. I picked it out because it had a mellow sound compared to the steel stringed guitars the store had. At the time, I had no idea it was a classical guitar! I strummed folk songs with it as was the fashion at the time. I knew nine chords. Then it spent 35 years in the closet. Now it is the guitar I take when sailing or camping or I’m in an environment where the conditions are too iffy for my luthier guitar.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:09 pm

wazow wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 am
I take a 60$ Lanikai (?) Ukulele. I am really bad at playing it, as I only camp about 1-2 times a year, and this is about the only time I touch it. Yet, it has to be. As when I camp, I also carry all my stuff, and a guitar is just too much for this, IMHO.
^^^^ This. I take my $130 Kala KA-B Baritone Ukulele. Same - I'm terrible at it. But it's fun and provides diversion. And of course, my poor playing matches well with all the poor vocals from the sing-along campers! :D No issues with humidity that I can tell...

I always looked at my beater guitars in terms of replacement costs. I took a Cordoba C3M for psych music therapy, because at $200, if a psych patient went nuts and smashed the instrument, I'm out $200. If that actually happened, I'd replace it with a $90 Hohner all laminate. :D

That being said, my current picnic guitar (think day trips) is worth about $300. But camping, it's the ukulele.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 pm

I've been tempted to get one of the plastic ukuleles. The Kala Waterman has gotten decent reviews. Even if I don't take it to the beach I could let my grandson play with it when he visits.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:43 am

Lots of Uke players here, and I'm guilty of that too. I just don't take the Ukulele camping. I only know two songs on it, so what would be the point for Me? My uke cost the same as my camping guitar. So, I just take the cheapie guitar and never run out of songs to play on it🐴

Alytw

Post by Alytw » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:36 am

I take a cordoba mini. Cheap and small. Nothing solid unless it’s cottage camping.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:18 am

There are several companies who make both full size and smaller size nylon string guitars out of carbon fiber material, including some that are specifically marketed as travel guitars. Since they are made of carbon fiber they are relatively impervious to temperature and humidity changes, fairly sturdy, and many probably could be used to paddle your canoe and then played with no harm done.

Best wishes finding the right instrument for you

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:25 pm

hpaulj wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 pm
I've been tempted to get one of the plastic ukuleles. The Kala Waterman has gotten decent reviews. Even if I don't take it to the beach I could let my grandson play with it when he visits.
They sold these at my shop a few years back. Obviously not that great sounding or playing but serious cool-factor!
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Ramirez 1A

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I only "camp" at nice hotels. But if I were to do so, I'd take my Soloette travel guitar. I've often wanted to play a Rainsong just to hear it, but (a) no nylon and (b) it's designed for ruggedness, not lightness. And if I wanted steel string on the trail, I'd go with the Martin backpacker.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm

I use my good old yamaha F310 which was my first guitar. Its a little bit scratched and bumped but all in all it still does the job well.

gypsyjack

Post by gypsyjack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 pm

I use a VoyageAir folding guitar when I go backpacking. Ok, it's not a classical guitar, but the woods don't seem to mind. Nor the squirrels. Ya gotta make sure that you keep the humidification going.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:23 am

I have a nice little Luna terz that I take on trips like that. I got it for R30 over 45 years ago in Johannesburg, and it's been a constant companion all these years, when other guitars have come and gone.
It tunes to G, good intonation and seems impervious to the sort of conditions I wouldn't dream of exposing my luthiers to. Solid spruce top, sounds sweet.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:38 am

I’m a Delsailor not a Delcamper. I take my 1980 Dauphin sailing: solid cedar and EIR back and sides, set me back $350 in 1980 US$. It has been bulletproof through San Diego Santa Ana winds and PNW monsoons. Sounds great plays easy. I also have a metal National resophonic uke that is almost literally bulletproof. My dad paid $8 in 1930 but worth much more today in $ and sentimentally.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Public Space”